120 days for a criminal background check from Canada?

Sent my prints to Ottawa in late Dec, and just got them back in May. :s I had almost forgotten about them and figured they were lost in the mail. Was a nice surprise to receive them. On to the next step

Yea I sent an e-mail to check on mine (cause that’s the only option they give you). I wanted to check that the international cheque Mega Bank gave me was acceptable and they answered telling me that it hasn’t even “made it upstairs yet”. So now I kinda believe it really will take forever. Did you have it mailed back to Taiwan though? I find getting even regular mail here takes a ridiculously long time. I signed a release of information to have it sent to my sister in Vancouver so she can bring it into TECO and courier it back to me. Hope it’ll speed things up!

How did you pay for the 25$ fee arkaine?

Ya i had it emailed back to me here. Haha silly me. My sister also lives in Vancouver and I could have saved alot of time, about 3 months i believe. But i didn’t realize that until today after reading the posts about APRC. As for the 25$ i used a money order from my bank and sent it along.

Anyone know where to get my Criminal Record check translated here in Taipei?

Thanks

Which bank did you get a money order from? I went on a wild goose hunt trying to find one. All the banks would only sell me bank drafts which they told me would take a month or more to clear. I ended up getting an international cheque from Mega Bank.

As for translating any company that will translate or notarize should be ok. What general area do you live in? I can browse the list the Trade office gave me to see if there’s one nearby you. (I’m too lazy to transcribe the whole list and I don’t have a scanner).

But don’t forget, or maybe you don’t know, you still have to send it back to TECO in Canada to have the document authenticated first. I only found out about this step at the trade office:

roc-taiwan.org/CA/lp.asp?ctN … SD=7&mp=77

I went to Bank of Hong Kong. Now that I think of it, it was a “Bank Draft”. I did ask for a money order, but that is what they gave me. Either way it worked, but they didn’t mention a month clearance for the draft. This could explain the 5 month delay :bow:

Im around the main station area, I think i found one on Chong Ching S.

I read bout sending it back to TECO and I believe both documents must be sent to be authenticated.
Check the thread about aprc procedure

went to the lawyers office/ notary to have it translated and they told me it must be authenticated first by TECO in canada, then sent back to me, then translated. Then i have to send the Translated copy BACK to TECO. W T F, this is BS. anyone have suggestions?

I know that it has to be authenticated first, that’s what the trade office told me, but I think the part about the translation being sent back to TECO is wrong…maybe call the trade office and see what they say (they’re super helpful over the phone). They gave me a document while I was there with a note attached saying “If your foreign document (eg police record) is for the Taiwanese government, please be aware it may need to be authenticatd by TECO. Please contact TECO directly regarding authentication of foreign documents”.

It seems a bit silly that you’d have to have it authenticated, translated and then reauthenticated. I had to get my affidavit of being single to get married to a Taiwanese guy earlier this year from the trade office, then I had to get it authenticated by BOFA in Taipei, once it was authenticated I had it translated and notarized and they translated the authentication too… Isn’t notraizing it kind of a form of authenitcating it??

That’s why I had my criminal record check released to my sister in Vancouver so she could take it into TECO and collect it then courier it… if it is true that it has to be translated and reauthenticated maybe it’d save you time to send it to your family member in Vancouver too and have them find a translator there?? I guess thats what I’ll have to do too if that’s true. Can you let me know what you find out?

Also a guy on forumosa called “motorcyclerider” is Canadian and just went through it all so he might have some insight.
TECO for Ottawa, Quebec, Newfoundlad: 613 231 5080, tecoserv@taiwan-canada.org
TECO for BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, NTs, Yukon and Nunavut: 604 689-4111 tecovan@telus.net
TECO for Manitoba, NB, PEI and Ontario: 416 369 9030 yyz@mofa.gov.tw

[quote=“arkaine”]went to the lawyers office/ notary to have it translated and they told me it must be authenticated first by TECO in canada, then sent back to me, then translated. Then i have to send the Translated copy BACK to TECO. W T F, this is BS. anyone have suggestions?[/quote]It truly is a major P.I.T.A!

I feel that this is the easiest way to get it done with the least amount of steps and hassle.

1. Get the police background check back from the Canadian government.

2. Get the background check translated into Chinese. You can do it yourself. No need to pay a translation service.

3. Send the original police background check and the Chinese translation to the appropriate TECO that handles the authenticating of the federal background checks. They will authenticate both the original and the Chinese translation at the same time, bind them together with a no-tamper seal, and then send both authenticated documents to you in Taiwan.

4. That’s it, it’s NIA ready. No need for any further endorsements, notorizations, translations, etc.

plus the fact that the criminal record check is only good in Taiwan (at least for the purpose of apply for an APRC) for 3 months from the time it’s issued… so it seems an impossible task, especially since TECO says on their website that they don’t courier back.

You don’t need to get it translated and sent back to TECO in Canada to be authenticated. BUT the criminal clearance record must be authenticated in the TECO office in Canada first, before it can get notarized in Taiwan. Here are the steps that I did:

1. Got the rolled fingerprints done at the immigration office in Taipei.
  2. Send them to my family in Canada who mailed them to the RCMP with the money order.
  3. When the criminal clearance record paper was mailed back to my family I faxed the power of attorney form that I got off the TECO Canada website to them.
  4. I had my brother take the criminal clearance record with power of attorney form that said that he has my permission to submit the criminal clearance record for authentication to the TECO office in Toronto in person.
  5. My brother picked up the authenticated criminal clearance record and mailed it to me 2 days later.
  6. I took it to a place by the 2/28 Park in Taipei where for $1,500nt they will translate the criminal clearance record and get it notarized within 2 days.

Feel free to PM if you have any further questions.

The only problem is, I’m NOT able to translate it myself. Unfortunately my Chinese writing isn’t that good yet. Ill look to have it translated today. Thanks Surfer and motorcycle rider!

I have just gone through the process myself. The time frame was much less than 180 days, ~75 days.

Here is how I did it:

1. Fingerprints taken at NIA in Pingtung - didn’t use the special form mentioned, just the one at the NIA.

2. Sent the fingerprints and other documentation to the rcmp in Ottawa (Feb 2). I sent a money order obtained from First Commercial Bank in Taiwan. I had the results sent to my mom in Vancouver.

3. When the paperwork arrived April 15 (it took far less than 180 days, to my dismay at the time since I couldn’t apply for an APRC until June 1), I had her scan it in so that I could get it translated by a friend here.

4. Once I had the translation, I sent my mom the forms to get the criminal records check AND the translation authenticated. Then my mom got a money order to pay for the authentication AND the fedexing of it to Taiwan. Note that it costs $20 for the authentication PLUS $40 for the translation. I misunderstood and didn’t send in enough money, so only my wife’s translation was notorized. But both oirignals WERE authenticated. Note also that I didn’t need an agent since I sent my mom the forms with my wife’s and my signatures and she just mailed them in to the TECO in Ottawa.

5. That last step took a while since we were unprepared for the Criminal Record Check to come so quickly, however, we received the documents on May 31 so it was okay - it was still valid for another month which was plenty of time to apply for the APRC.

6. Since I had miscalculated the costs and hadn’t had my translation notorized, I still needed to do that here. I went to the district court in Pingtung and it took maybe 15 minutes to get it notorized. It only cost $750, which is cheaper than the $40 TECO wanted, so I was happy.

7. Then I went to the NIA to apply for the APRC. Due to a misunderstanding on my part, only my wife was eligible (but not because of a problem with the Criminal Record Check), so I applied for her and she was notified that she was accepted on Monday (June 21). Yeah!

Here is the translation we used, if it helps. Just replace the english fields as appropriate.

Royal Canadian Mounted Police 檔案續號
1200 Vanier Parkway 1100710000XXXXXXXX
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0R2

2010-03-30

XXXX de Boer
Address
City, Prov
Postal Code

親愛的先生/女士:
由加拿大皇家警方提供的國際犯罪紀錄資料庫所顯示的指紋、姓名及出生年月日,證明其相關人士在聯邦法律所屬的犯罪證明中並無相關犯罪紀錄。

申請類別: 簽證 / 過境 /國外旅遊 / 工作
特殊申請:
指紋壓印日期: 2010-02-02

申請人全名: Last Name, First 出生日期: Birthdate 性別: 女性 (female in this case)

地址: Residential Address
Pingtung County
Taiwan ROC

犯罪記錄資料確認完成日期: 2010-03-29

Guylaine A. Dansereau
主管機關
加拿大即時犯罪資料認証服務

附註: 原始指紋樣本已銷毀 本文件內容依加拿大個人隱私法律規範處理

nice one, sending my off to my sis tomorrow!

For some ANNOYING reason the TECO office in Toronto won’t authenticate the translation I sent (provided above). I don’t think it has anything to do with the translation but they said once they send me back my RCMP check that I need to take it to have it translated and notarized locally. ANNOYING

Now I’m really stressed because family back home majorly #!$%ed up (like I expected they would) and my RCMP check expires on Oct.16th. So times a-runnin out.

So I’m going to try to go tomorrow to get my hospital check and/or local criminal check before work at 2 (hoping that it’s not in vain, that I don’t spend more money and then not get everything in time) but what I’m wondering about is a couple of items on the checklist they give you now at the NIC

These are the items in question:

“2. Certificate of entry and exit dates from ROC”

and

[Employment]: You must also submit a 5-years Working permit and Employment certificate

Where do these come from?!?!??!?!

Please tell me I don’t have to deal with the idiots at the original school I worked at to give me some sort of certificate :cry:

Also for anyone who’s been through this recently, does it take a long time to see Mr.Wong at the NIC office or should I be able to get in the same week I call?

Sorry guys, a couple questions…

so can you fed ex your prints to Ottawa RCMP from Taiwan, and then have the RCMP mail the results to a family member? Seems there are different answers floating around out there.

Is there a criminal record application that needs to be filled out, or just the form with your prints?

Is Ottawa the only rcmp you can apply to for the check?

Thanks

Yes, you can fed ex to the RCMP and have them mail (snail mail) them to a family member. The RCMP WILL NOT courier them to your family member. You need to send them the fingerprints form (get it from the Canada trade office). The form should have:

* rolled and flat impressions of all ten fingers taken with black ink
* full name, date of birth and sex of the applicant
* the name and address of the police agency
* the signature of the official taking the fingerprints

(rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cr-cj/fing-empr2-eng.htm)

They use a stamp at the Immigration office that has the address in Chinese so just to be safe I wrote down the romanized (pinyin) version of the address on the form.

To have your results released to a family member you need to include a very short letter saying that you give permission for the records to be released, who the person you are releasing them is in relation to you, and you need to add a statement saying that you are aware that refusal to give consent to release your records to a third party would not affect your request in anyway (rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cr-cj/info-rens-eng.htm)

Ottawa is the only RCMP you can apply to check for unless you are there to apply in person. Someone on another thread said it is possible to send them to someone local to your family but after calling the RCMP in Ottawa and the local office in NB both reconfirmed that you need to send them to Ottawa.
(rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cr-cj/fing-empr2-eng.htm#a7)

PS- You do know that once you have the records you need to send them to a TECO office somewhere in Canada (there are 3 or 4) to be “legalized”? The TECO office will no longer notarize/legalize the translation of the fingerprint results so you don’t have to worry about having the translation sent to TECO in Canada but the original police check still needs to be sent to a Canadian TECO to be legalized. I have a list of addresses somewhere but if you haven’t been to the Canadian trade office they can give them to you there too. If you need them I can try to dig through my desk to find them.

So it should go finger prints to → RCMP → Your family member → TECO → back to you family member-> to you in Taiwan. Then you need to have then translated and the translation notarized. Hope its clear. I went through it all earlier this year. If you need any help just ask.
Is there a criminal record application that needs to be filled out, or just the form with your prints?

PSS - In case you didn’t know Canadians have 6 months before our criminal background check expires, not 3 months like other countries. The Officer at the Immigration agency explained it’s because our government recognizes the results for 6 months.

You can get a digital RCMP fingerprint record check through the Commisionaires office in Vancouver. You have to physically be in Vancouver, show them 2 pieces of official Canada-based ID, and pay them CAD89. You can get your official form in about two weeks, either by pick up or mail within Canada. You might even be able to get it authenticated without translation by the TECO office in Van.

Bottom line, a bit more expensive but quite fast and reliable.

Thanks guys. Sent em off last Thursday.

Wow! Middle of February and the rcmp haven’t even confirmed if they’ve received my application and prints.

[quote=“shini”][quote=“bobbyanalog”]
so can you fed ex your prints to Ottawa RCMP from Taiwan, and then have the RCMP mail the results to a family member? Seems there are different answers floating around out there.
[/quote]

So it should go finger prints to -> RCMP -> Your family member -> TECO -> back to you family member-> to you in Taiwan. Then you need to have then translated and the translation notarized. Hope its clear. I went through it all earlier this year. If you need any help just ask.

PSS - In case you didn’t know Canadians have 6 months before our criminal background check expires, not 3 months like other countries. The Officer at the Immigration agency explained it’s because our government recognizes the results for 6 months.[/quote]

I really appreciate your post! It was simple and yet complete! My only remaining questions are:

1. A Money order from a bank in Taiwan is sufficient? Do you need to request anything specific?

2. Do I really need anything from the Canadian Trade Office? From my understanding (based on rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cr-cj/fing-empr2-eng.htm), I can submit a fingerprint form provided by a local police station (here in Jhongli) and provide the rest of my details on a separate piece of paper. I don’t want to have to go up to Taipei if it’s not necessary.

Thanks for any other info!