31% of Taiwanese earn less than NT$30,000; 10% earn over NT$61,000 per month

No I just used the US as a more extreme example to show how far Taiwan was from it. I think at the very least Taiwan should have just increased workers wages per inflation for the past 10-15 years skipping a few years in between is fine but they skipped all 15 years when they could easily have paid to increase wages per inflation but actually chose to lower wages in 2008 to 22k instead. When economy recovered the wages did not the companies got used to the profits of paying less.

2 Likes

Well if no one else sees an issue with one of the worlds wealthiest industrialized countries, where the highly educated middle class next generation can no longer afford toā€¦

1. Buy a house in their own country
  2. Retire or save for retirement
  3. Have a baby
  4. Get married
  5. Move away from home while saving money

Then who am I to notice these things and point it out.

4 Likes

Yes, sure but what happened in many countries? Unions got strong, wages climbed, holidays got longer. Than many companies moved, sold out, went bankrupt.

Itā€™s not one America. Itā€™s hot spots in the US that drive the high tech economy.

No ones talking about all those perks, thats unreal. Iā€™d settle for these huge companies giving 2%-3 inflation 10 of the past 20 years instead of pocketing it all and then dropping starting pay to from 26k to 22k.

Of course labor unions getting too strong also has a non productive effect on the economy, but Taiwan has gone so far to the extreme opposite end of that.

2 Likes

he talks shit about everyone. even amazon. isnā€™t his own company just a clone of amazon which gets propped up by the chinese government? how hard is it to be successful when you profit from cloning others business ideas and technology then kick out the originals?

what grounds does he have to talk shit about anyone, same for any chinese company. until they start innovating that is. look at what happened to the wanda guy. dude thought he was bigger than disney.

Yes itā€™s funny him commenting on others when he relentlessly promotes himself.

If youā€™re going to pay U.S. wages in Taiwan youā€™re going to have to charge U.S. prices. Maybe Appleā€™s suppliers would be a good place to experiment with that concept.The government would set their prices equal to U.S. prices for the same components if theyā€™re not secretly there already. Then it would dare Apple to cheat Taiwanese workers out of their new living wage increases by running off to China tso it could pay the old 1/3 or less price for its components. If Apple caved then this just might work. On the other hand if Apple decided it just wasnā€™t worth it to keep coming half way around the world for components it could get for the same price in the U.S. then there might be a problem.

Whose going to pay US Wages in Taiwan?? No one, so why does the conversation keep going there? Then I have to keep bringing it back to reality.

ā€œNo ones talking about all those perks, thats unreal. Iā€™d settle for these huge companies giving 2%-3 inflation 10 of the past 20 years instead of pocketing it all and then dropping starting pay to from 26k to 22k.ā€

1 Like

Taiwan is a lot more diverse than the handful of suppliers on the Apple Supply chain.

Anyway you have drunk the laoban, DPp koolaid thinking that these companies couldnā€™t make money while paying workers a living wage and not having to do piles of overtime.

1 Like

That is not what you said at all. What you did was comparing Taiwan to America and then said ā€˜you donā€™t see any Elon Musk and Mark Zuckerberg hereā€™. Letā€™s be honest. There was never a point in history where Taiwan was remotely close to Americaā€™s level. When the economy was growing at the fastest rate, the emigration rate was also the highest - to America.

You call that complacent? I call that realistic.

Aka millenials in a nutshell.

Its a worldwide problem called extreme Greed.

What purpose is there to defend the end of the middle class around the world and when Ive simply stated Iā€™d settle for a 2-3% increase in inflation wages 10 of the last 20 years instead of dropping starting salary from 26k to 22k with zero inflation increases from these huge companies sitting on piles of cash that can afford to while staying competitive and innovative but choose not to.

1 Like

I donā€™t think anyone is disagreeing with you on this.

2 Likes

excellente

Who did Ali kick out ? Alibaba is pretty innovative. Only competitor is global sources.

in the same way wechat is innovative?

i donā€™t know or care who got kicked out. its beside the point. cloning others businessā€™ and protecting the chinese ones is the name of the game in china. that ainā€™t a level playing field.

1 Like

Sure, China is closed, but Wechat is innovative, so is Ali.

Maybe youā€™re the one with his head in the sand:

A few weeks ago, Wyze Labs, a one-year-old start-up in Seattle, sent me its first gadget to try. Itā€™s a small, internet-connected video camera, the kind you might use for security or to keep tabs on your dog or your baby.

On the surface, the camera doesnā€™t sound special. Like home internet cameras made by Nest or Netgear . . . but the WyzeCam has one groundbreaking feature that no rival can match. It is being sold for such an unbelievably low price ā€“ $20 ā€“ that it sent me tunneling into the global gadget industry to figure out how Wyze had done it. That, in turn, led to a revelation about the future of all kinds of products, from cameras to clothes.

The future? Weā€™re going to get better products for ludicrously low prices, and big brands across a range of categories ā€“ the Nests and Netgears of the world ā€“ are going to find it harder than ever to get us to shell out big money for their wares.

Thereā€™s a hidden hero in this story ā€“ or, if youā€™re a major brand, a shadowy villain. Itā€™s Amazon.

To understand Amazonā€™s role, letā€™s take a closer look at how Wyze piggybacked off Amazon. Nestā€™s and Netgearā€™s comparable indoor cameras sell for around $200 each, while Wyzeā€™s device goes for $20 plus shipping if you buy directly from the companyā€™s website.

I donā€™t like the race to the bottom and the hollowing out of the middle class any more than any other pampered westerner. Maybe the real culprit though is the man or woman in the mirror. The one who goes on to Amazon and pays the cheapest price possible for everything ā€“ and then wonders why wages are falling.

Taiwan is the same level of democracy as, say, Russia. OK, maybe Russia is less democracy. But theyā€™re in the same league in many ways.

1 Like

No, itā€™s the Taiwanese boss underpaying and overworking their employees. There are lots of reasons for electronics getting cheaper, and most of them are not to do with labour costs.