4k laptop screen?

Is it worth it? many laptops are now offering 4k screens as upgrade versions of the 1080 full HD. Taiwan is a bit slow…don’t know why as many of the laptops and parts are manufactured here or at least Taiwanese companies like acer or ASUS. Stores will be stocking 4k laptop before the end of the year.

For all the tech geeks out there, is it even worth it? I’m in need of a new laptop, Ive been looking at ASUS VIVO book pro, or Asus zenbook Pro which is about 55,000. I was told with 4k screens will cost more. Should I wait or not?

I want a 7th gen I7, at least 8gb of ram DR4 and a good graphics card for the occasional nerd in me. Some gaming laptops are cool, but I also work and i’m afraid it looks unprofessional with a laptop that says like republic gaming.

Or should I just just buy a generic laptop and customize it to my needs?

4k on a laptop is a bit overkill, you’d need a really large monitor and use it really close to your eyes to notice a major improvement over 1440p.
For photo editing I use a 27" / 1440p desktop monitor, every now and then I see some 27/30" monitors with 4k on offer but the price is always a bit too high for good quality screens with accurate colors.

For gaming, I’d take 1080p or 1440p and 120hz over 4k / 60hz all day long.

I notice amazon is much cheaper,

This is 38,000 with only 8gb of ram in taiwan, it’s about 1100 and with 16gb of ram with import tax (I think it’s included as it adds a tax for international location unless they tax me again when it gets here.)

1 Like

Wow, the gram of RAM is very expensive here!

It seem that the specs for North America laptops are slightly different than the ones in taiwan.

Short answer: unless you have a very very good reason* to want a high resolution small display (=high DPI) under Windows: Don’t. More is not always better on smallish screens.

*a program you use a lot that needs 4K or has huge advantages by 4K

Long answer: Generally Windows does not use high DPI monitors well. It also depends a lot on the applications, some look good, some don’t. 3D Games are easy to look good, bit more resolution needs more 3D graphics power. Many 2D programms look bad: You need to change to big text and big icons if you want to see things without a magnifying glass.

Also: Do you plan to use a docking station, eg. Will you switch regularly between using the laptop screen and an external monitor?

If yes, then please be aware that Windows does not easily switch between different text/icon size settings without logging out and back in. So in the worst case, if the DPI are very different between the two screens, you have problems with with too big or too small stuff on the screen in one of the two situations that require logout or restart every time.

Thus, you likely end up with changing the windows desktop resolution when using the laptop screen to less than 4K, which of course looks even worse than having bought a lower resolution screen in the first place.

1 Like

Thats what I was thinking, I heard 4k resolution can make things unreadable. Plus I can always hook it up to 4k monitors if i need it. A nice full HD screen will go a long way.

If you order from Amazon, you will get hit again for import fees/tax once it arrives in Taiwan. And it can be a hefty price to pay for shipping.

Really, it calculates the tax I think and puts a deposits of import tax in when you check out.

I think this is what I will get.

For biggers screens, 4k is nice. But if you have a 17inch laptop, you won’t notice a big difference between 1080p and 4k.