A French phrase a day

Touche.
Nice one. :slight_smile:

However, I must ask for clarification. Are you suggesting that French as a language does not owe it’s lineage to so called guttersnipe french, that of the ghetto? For any language to survive in real terms, I would argue that the bottom-up evolution is just as important, if not more so, than the top-trickle down effort.

Language is kept alive, and full of beans, by those at the grass roots.

[quote]However, I must ask for clarification. Are you suggesting that French as a language does not owe it’s lineage to so called guttersnipe french, that of the ghetto? For any language to survive in real terms, I would argue that the bottom-up evolution is just as important, if not more so, than the top-trickle down effort.

Language is kept alive, and full of beans, by those at the grass roots.[/quote]

by poor french, i did not mean french of the poor or rude language of the streets. i was rather referring to some individual’s very limited skills in expressing simple ideas in french. what you write is entirely right and i agree with you though.

[quote="5566
by that, i meant his BAD french :laughing: i’d say 6th grade at best :raspberry: nothing wrong with belgium indeed.[/quote]

Sorry, FRENCH is only my third language of 4 I speak and write. Wonder how you would?
proud to be Belgian as most of us speak 3 languages at least , which can not be said from many other nationalities.
So, … next move 5566

5566, if you are willing to “teach a sentence a day”, be our guest. Seems that you’re an expert, but it does not reflect in your spelling mistakes neither no?
It has been 3 years ago that i had the possibility to write or speak French regularly, so do not give me hard time using your frustration about “the Maghreb PRONOUNCIATION” using it as an excuse ok?
I do not want to spend more time on this.

Sentence of the Day:

Double cinq Double six utilise ce site public pour vendre ces jouets.
Double five Double six uses this public site to sell his toys. (You see how many words are common?)

waiting for this thread to be flushed, i’ll just quote myself… :bravo:

ps: ceevee, if you read my earlier posts in this thread, you’ll see i know belgium very well. please dont play the multi-lingual card with me…

How do you say “never been fired in anger” in French?

waiting for this thread to be flushed, i’ll just quote myself… :bravo:

ps: ceevee, if you read my earlier posts in this thread, you’ll see i know belgium very well. please dont play the multi-lingual card with me…[/quote]

5566, I’ve send you a Pm as there is no reason to keep bashing on each other … Make your contribution if you find yourself a french Language Expert Ok? i am not for sure, bit anyway, the OP seems not to be very attracted to his own treat, so yep, this one will die a natural cause… no replies any more.

How do you say " I give up" in French?

someone just lost his french grammar…

this isnt a french expression, not in Europe. maybe quebecois?!

we’d say “vas chier” in France too. vas te faire foutre/mettre is particulary rude and you’re not likely to hear it very often in France.

how about this one:
“La bave du crapaud n’atteint pas la blanche colombe” :laughing:[/quote]

Pompous much?

:unamused:

I give up. You all can have your language back. No wonder the world hates the French.

your french sucks, someone corrects you but you think you speak and write like a native, you feel offended so easily? maybe you should…

yes, the world hates the french but they still hate americans more. fine with me :raspberry:

Yes, but no one wants anything from the French. French culture has outlived its usefulness, as why it’s being trampled by immigrants from the former colonies. French has spent so much time segregating itself and attempting to maintain its “purity” while American culture has adapted and embraced new influences. French culture in and of itself is the dodo of the 2000’s.

R.I.P.

you made my day, thanks! :bravo:

:threadjacked: Um, sorry, guys and gals, but isn’t this a French phrase of the day thread? So where’s your phrase?

Il y a une personne ici qui est un crocodile.

Might I suggest that each person explain their phrase, for the benefit of learners? Thanks much! :notworthy:

there is a new thread for serious learners. frustrated people who only know F words in french will probably haunt this one though. too bad…

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=52387

I know a really nasty F-word…

Five-five-six-six.

Seriously, being able to speak French doesn’t make you the shit. Millions of people out there can do it. Being able to speak French and not be a prick, however, is like hen’s teeth. You, my friend, are no hen’s teeth.

[quote]I know a really nasty F-word…

Five-five-six-six.

Seriously, being able to speak French doesn’t make you the shit. Millions of people out there can do it. Being able to speak French and not be a prick, however, is like hen’s teeth. You, my friend, are no hen’s teeth.[/quote]

doesnt make you either…
woaw, it seems it is really easy to piss off an arrogant person here on forumosa… :wink:

and btw, you hit the limit, time to get a social life :rainbow:
just kidding, just kidding :notworthy:

I do not claim to not be arrogant or egotistical. I never have. That’s the difference between you and me. You think you’re the shit. And I don’t need confirmation from others to know that I am.

As far as swear words, as a former French student (just 12 years of study and one degree later), I know that is almost universally the first thing people want to learn in French. They want to know how to insult people while sounding like they are saying something fancy. No offense, Jimmy, but no one gives a flying French fuck about discussing the weather.

So that’s what French has degenerated into - a language full of euphemisms for getting laid and for bodily functions. Seems to be the only use most people have for it…

i didnt say that i am, i DID however say your french sucks… reason why you are posting all those aberrations now. pretty funny, hey!

so, imaniou is there in front of his/her keyboard trying to find the most painful and insulting argument he/she can think of… pretty lame. i know those words come from someone whose country reminds me of the end of the weimar republic, honestly, i sympathize.

a bon entendeur…