A guide to Taiwanese VISA Debit Cards

No need to take what they propose. Other people got better cards, especially from Taishin. :sunglasses:

Noted
 thanks!

In this case it looks like a paypal issue and not a card issue
 :slight_smile:

OK, so we already heard that this is a Costco issue and not a card issue. :slight_smile:

Hm
 that is a rather unspecific evaluation, and to me it seems that the card is good enough when compared to other cards in the same category. Why would anyone want to get it, you ask: because generally, it’s a good idea to have several cards (many of the cards mentioned here have been reported to not work in some odd circumstances), and, anyway, some people get by with cards that do even less than the PO card, because they use Taiwanese credit cards only to pay for purchases in shops in Taiwan. :laughing:

d.p.

My card (Visa Electron) now also works without a hitch on the bookdepository.co.uk site. ‘Free’ delivery here I comes!

Noted
 thanks!

In this case it looks like a paypal issue and not a card issue
 :slight_smile:

[/quote]

It could be an issue with my bank or with import stuff, too. But sucks that I can’t get cash in the paypal account
although the payment method makes that unnecessary.

Hm
 that is a rather unspecific evaluation, and to me it seems that the card is good enough when compared to other cards in the same category. Why would anyone want to get it, you ask: because generally, it’s a good idea to have several cards (many of the cards mentioned here have been reported to not work in some odd circumstances), and, anyway, some people get by with cards that do even less than the PO card, because they use Taiwanese credit cards only to pay for purchases in shops in Taiwan. :laughing:[/quote]

I have heard nothing but negative comments regarding the Post Office bank in general. It’s one of those holdovers from pre-modern ROC (PRC’s post office bank is terrible, as well). My classmates always complain about it because the ATM card doesn’t work anywhere except the post office, you have to find a post office to withdraw money, and the line is always too long. They also don’t have the ATM you can deposit cash in. The only 2 pros to having the account is that it allows people 18 years of age to open an account (banks are 20?), and they give preferable interest rates to government employees.

Myself, I have Chinatrust and First Bank. Chinatrust because it always works and seems to be the largest bank here and First Bank because when I was at Zhengda they forced me to open either First Bank or Post Office and I went with First Bank.

My Chinatrust card worked overseas in Malaysia and Singapore when I wanted to withdraw cash with no issue, FYI. Their mobile app is garbage and completely useless, but at least the card worked. Also the plastic with the magnet stripe came off the back of my First Bank card but the bank won’t give me a new one unless I bring that stupid ass bank book I can’t find. It still works in the ATM (from the chip), so whatever. I rarely use it. Right now the Chinatrust card’s plastic is also coming off at the back end
I’m afraid the ATM is gonna catch it when it spits the card out now

About the Paypal not working when you log in: Cards can only be added if they are issued in the country that the Paypal account is registered to. For example, an American Paypal account cannot add a Taiwanese card/bank for funding. A Taiwanese Paypal can, however, add an American card. American cards and bank accounts work on all accounts worldwide, so it’s better to hold a TW Paypal account and add your American info.

Ah
 life in the countryside: in Hualien i can pull cash out of my POB account at any post office (of which there are quite a few) or Familiy Mart ATM (of which there are even more), and i can deposit money at post office ATMs as well. And i:ve been able to cope with these long lines, too (like, one person in front of me, at most!) Of course, in the big city things may well be different - as everywhere, Y(or your classmates’)MMV - but at least i have no reason to complain. :slight_smile:

Good to know
!

The issue of how to maintain bank books, cards, and other “vital” items related to our modern way of life in good working order is definitely there. Your comments will, so i hope, serve as important reminder to everybody

when the plastic strip came off mine, they told me not to worry. eventually, I lost it and still haven’t signed the new one. I use it all the time to buy stuff in shops - no one has ever even mentioned it, let alone denied the purchase!nyway I lost it and still haven’t signed the new one. I use it all the time to buy stuff in shops - no one has ever even mentioned it, let alone denied the purchase!

Do you guys can pay with any of those debit card a HSR ticket at the machine ? For me it worked once only ! I selected “Credit card” put my 4 digit pin and got a ticket. Never worked again.

I’ve used regular ATM cards in the HSR ticket machines. No problem at all.

I used it two days ago (Chinatrust card) by pressing é‡‘èžćĄ and doing the six digit code. It took forever (45 seconds maybe) to process, but it went through.

Little update on Taishin.

I had to get a replacement card because my previous one developed a crack. Went in, showed them the crack and they said they could replace it while I wait. Took about 5-10 minutes. The new card doesn’t have my name on the card or the raised digits on it, and says “electronic use only”. I was worried, especially because of the lack of name and double-checked that it was the same type of debit card. They assured me it was and will work everywhere except on an actual airplane (buying duty free in-flight).

Just linked it to Amazon and bought a Kindle book, added it to Paypal and did the verification charge and it worked okay.

So I tried to get a Visa debit card from Taishin Bank the other day and they told me that they only offer foreigners the 13 digit ATM cards that can’t be used for anything except withdrawing money from ATMs in Taiwan. I even had a Taiwanese friend ask, and they assured him that foreigners can’t get Visa debit cards. Maybe they’ve changed their policy lately?

Also, I tried with HSBC, they offer 3 different account types: Direct, Advance, and Premier. Direct is free to have, Advance charges NT$350 a month unless you have over NT$500000, and Premier charges NT$1000 unless you have over 1 or 2 million NT (I forgot). They all offer Visa debit cards, however the problem is that the Direct cards (the free ones) have no international functioning and can’t be used outside of Taiwan. So basically if you want an internationally functioning Visa debit from HSBC you either have to be willing to pay NT$350 a month or have 500k you’re will to just leave around in your account.

While possible, my guess is that it’s just that that branch is, shall we say, ill-informed. If you have time, try another one (or another bank entirely which also offers VISA debit cards). A couple months back when I got mine, I first tried Chinatrust (“If foreigners want one they need an ARC that’s valid for three years, not just one”), and then walked down the road to Taishin (“Please sit down and relax while we do all the paperwork for you”). Good luck :slight_smile:

While possible, my guess is that it’s just that that branch is, shall we say, ill-informed. If you have time, try another one (or another bank entirely which also offers VISA debit cards). A couple months back when I got mine, I first tried Chinatrust (“If foreigners want one they need an ARC that’s valid for three years, not just one”), and then walked down the road to Taishin (“Please sit down and relax while we do all the paperwork for you”). Good luck :slight_smile:[/quote]

Would you mind telling me what Taishin branch issued you your card? I’ve been having trouble with them too :stuck_out_tongue:

I got my Taishin card from the Nanjing East road branch (between Fuxing and Dunhua).
At the time (3 or so years ago), it was only available if you had more than one year on your ARC., but I’m not sure if that’s still the case.

Tried Taishin bank again today, this time at the Nanjing East Rd branch, where I figured they’d be more likely to have someone who spoke English.

Anyways, I spoke to a woman in English who and asked her if they offered foreigners Visa debit cards that would work both online and at ATMs abroad. She said that they did and that the only limitation was that the international functioning would be disabled once my ARC expires, fine, I thought. So after sitting there for about 45 minutes while they typed away on the computer they give me an ATM card with NO Visa logo and no numbers at all! I was confused so I asked the same woman I spoke to earlier why it wasn’t a Visa card and she said, “We don’t offer Visas to foreigners” I argued with her, but she denied ever saying that they did
 I was furious

Back to the drawing board

I should mention, the card did have a PLUS logo on the back and the woman said that it could be used to draw money at foreign ATMs, however they only gave me a 6-digit pin so I’m a bit skeptical.

Hm

The other day, when i was in Taipei, i went to theTaishin main office (ć°ćŒ—ćž‚äž­ć±±ćŒ—è·ŻäșŒæź”44號 / No. 44, Section 2, Zhongshan N. Rd., Taipei - nearest subway station is Shuanglian, and Zhongshan is close, as well) to get my internet banking set up - very friendly service in English, and after all paperwork was done, the guy who had helped the process along walked with me to the back of the building and had me try it out on one of the computers available there. I’d suggest that people in Taipei who have difficulties getting a card at any of the branches go to the bank’s main office. :slight_smile:

In any case, there are a few things to keep in mind:

• every case is different (what you get in this thread are not sure-fire recipes but quasi-statistical data that you can use to your advantage)
  • keep trying (don’t give up so easily)
  • language and attitude!
  • once they know you things get easier (quoted from forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph 
 6&start=14)
    :smiley:

Hey, that actually sounds like a really good idea. It seems like employees at other branches rejecting foreigners because they don’t know that they’re actually allowed to give out cards to them is a popular recurring theme here.

Anyhow, I went to a local China Trust branch today and did manage to get a Visa debit card from them. I had to argue with them a tiny bit at first since they of course originally said that Visa cards weren’t available to foreigners. However, when they saw my ARC they changed their minds. The card should work online and abroad, and has a 6 digit PIN for Taiwan and a 4 digit one for international use.

[quote=“ThorsMallet”]Tried Taishin bank again today, this time at the Nanjing East Rd branch, where I figured they’d be more likely to have someone who spoke English.

Anyways, I spoke to a woman in English who and asked her if they offered foreigners Visa debit cards that would work both online and at ATMs abroad. She said that they did and that the only limitation was that the international functioning would be disabled once my ARC expires, fine, I thought. So after sitting there for about 45 minutes while they typed away on the computer they give me an ATM card with NO Visa logo and no numbers at all! I was confused so I asked the same woman I spoke to earlier why it wasn’t a Visa card and she said, “We don’t offer Visas to foreigners” I argued with her, but she denied ever saying that they did
 I was furious

Back to the drawing board

I should mention, the card did have a PLUS logo on the back and the woman said that it could be used to draw money at foreign ATMs, however they only gave me a 6-digit pin so I’m a bit skeptical.[/quote]

I hope you closed your account. I would absolutely refuse to do business with a company that would say one thing, and then lie about it when confronted.

I have had such poor success with Taiwan banks as they are the epitome of uselessness. Hopefully they will all sink underwater at some point.