A smooth ride

Scooters and motorcycles each have their place.

TMWC, am I correct in thinking that you have not been here a year yet? A lot of foreigners, myself included, start out thinking that a real motorcycle is the only way to go, yet after a while realise how convenient a scooter is for parking and stop-go riding in the city. (Underseat storage space, and steering locks are also great).
Yet for out of town, especially on longer trips, a motorcycle is more versatile, safe and comfortable. The bigger wheels soak up the bumps better and give the bike a lot more stability and grip. The manual gears deliver power more efficiently and are more controllable. On the wet, muddy roads I was on today, the motorcycle’s back end slipped and skipped out a couple of times (must replace those tyres!) but a scooter would have been over on its side in a gnat’s wink.

The Majesty and its SYM and KYMCO equivalents are curious beasts. It seems that they sacrifice a lot of the convenience (maneuverability, parkability) of a scooter and yet don’t have the stability of a big-wheeled motorcycle. Nevertheless, their riders assure me that they are very comfortable to ride, and they look like they could be good fun on a quieter road. I’ve seen one or two up high near Hehuanshan, so it can be done.