A Trump Foreign Policy Thread

Oh, boy. Here we go again.

The real spearhead of global terrorism.

ISIS Claims Responsibility for Manchester Concert Attack; Toll Rises to 22

The Donald is showing great restraint and diplomacy in not nuking all of these savages.

How does that work for a narrative?

Iā€™m only half kidding.

[quote]ā€œThis type of target was absolutely foreseeable, as Islamic State has increasingly been highlighting in its propaganda that scores of children have been killed in coalition and Russian strikes targeting Islamic State positions in Iraq and Syria,ā€ said Michael S. Smith II, a terrorism analyst who specializes in the Islamic Stateā€™s influence efforts and who is writing a book on its external operations.

All of that content is ā€œintended to stimulate thinking about executing retributive attacks among Islamic State supporters here in the West,ā€ Mr. Smith said.[/quote]

If the narrative is that Donald bin Laden is considering ā€œexecuting retributive attacksā€ against civilian targets in the Middle East using weapons of mass destruction because ā€œscores of childrenā€ were killed on Manchester then Iā€™d say results speak for themselves.

I donā€™t think I bring myself to accept a moral equivalence between human shields and the deliberate targeting of civilians.

Blowing up an apartment building in order to kill one individual versus blowing up an apartment building in order to kill everyone in it arenā€™t morally equivalent but theyā€™re both still acts of depravity. Just ask the families of the dead women, children and elderly.

Let the tantrums begin:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-01/trump-said-to-plan-withdrawal-from-landmark-paris-climate-accord

Iā€™m looking at the accord on NPR and it is really hard to read. I wonder where the language is in it that requires the US to pay more without requiring China and India to reduce their emissions. Any legal experts out there?

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/06/01/531048986/so-what-exactly-is-in-the-paris-climate-accord

I think that we Americans will join in the end but renegotiate something that is better for America. I also think that most of us really do care about global warming but we arenā€™t convinced that a Paris Climate Accord is the way to do this.

This is what Trump says:
ā€œI cannot in good conscience support a deal that punishes the United States, which is what it does, while imposing no meaningful obligations on the worldā€™s leading polluters,ā€ Trump said ā€” singling out China and India by name.

ā€œIn short, the agreement doesnā€™t eliminate coal jobs, it just transfers those jobs out of America and the United States and ships them to foreign countries,ā€ he added. ā€œThis agreement is less about the climate and more about other countries gaining a financial advantage over the United States.ā€

This is from NPR
As NPRā€™s Christopher Joyce recently reported, emissions in the U.S. have declined by about 12 percent since 2005.
ā€œThe U.S. has successfully bent its greenhouse gas emissions curve,ā€ Kate Larsen, of the economics research team Rhodium Group, told Christopher. ā€œAnd we are going to continue to reduce emissions over the next 10 years, likely regardless of Trump policy.ā€

1 Like

Well done for wanting to read what the actual accord is. Much easier to virtue signal by name calling Trump a meanie. Iā€™ve tried reading up on it, so far just the article on Wikipedia.

Itā€™s interesting that Obama didnā€™t get congressional approval when he signed. Then paid, 500 million? towards a 3B commitment. Correct me if Iā€™m wrong. It is a complex agreement. It doesnā€™t look like anything in it can be enforced though from my first reading of it. I hope we will join on better terms and I also support taking care of the environment.

When it comes to this agreement, thereā€™s only one thing you really need to know: itā€™s non-binding. With no mechanism for enforcement, itā€™s basically just a big letā€™s-pat-each-other-on-the-back (pardon my French) circle jerk. Of course everybody but Nicaragua and Syria have signed itā€¦itā€™s no skin off their teeth. And the poor countries are promised $100 billion in aid a year from the rich countries. What are they gonna do? Refuse free money?

1 Like

In a non-binding agreement, anyone who honors the terms is a chump. The Donald has opted to be one of the non-chump nations.

But heā€™s also decided to announce it. Why bother to announce when you can just pretend the thing doesnā€™t exist? The only reason is to troll people.

Holy cow, looks like someone has been thrown under the bus.

As dubiously sourced as anything you see in the news these days, but oozing with truthiness:

Trump was blunt with the Saudi ruler. ā€œIā€™ll help you with Iran only if you help me sell American LNG and oil to China, and thereā€™s only one way to do that.ā€ ā€œ Which is?ā€ asked the head camel driver. ā€œStop Qatar from selling their LNG to the Chinese, and while youā€™re at it, both of you stop funding terrorists, or else.ā€

All effective international diplomacy is international politics, and most effective politics is pressure politics.

Il Douche politicized law enforcement and thus weaponized the law. Now The Donald wields the weapon.

Nation building.Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesnā€™t. Itā€™s like psychotherapy: the nation has to want to be built.

Tangentially relevant:

Dubya tried to be the worldā€™s wise old uncle. It turned out he wasnā€™t as insightful as he thought he was, and his platitudes about the Iraqi People and the Religion of Peace soon appeared ludicrous. But killing terroristsā€¦ that always made sense.

Oh, and thereā€™s no Libyan People or Syrian People either.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/national/govt-and-politics/saudi-crown-prince-heads-to-white-house-and-silicon-valley/article_940f8306-c05f-5c9b-b5e3-7d7c43af234f.html

Lot of sour grapes in this article, but hereā€™s the real takeaway: people like this are currying favor with us now. Thatā€™s an improvement.

Oh, and Saudi Arabia is trying to be less evil for a change. Still lots of problems to clean up in this world, but thatā€™s major progress on one of them. Well, thereā€™s also some progress on North Korea.

Speak softly and carry a big stick. And a carrot. And throw Il Doucheā€™s not-so-smart diplomacy under the bus.

China imports soybeans from the US?

Yeah. China consumes 61% of the worldā€™s soybeans (tofu, anyone?) and the U.S. is a major farming country.

I was reading 60b of tariffs on china, which responded by proposing 3b tariffs on Us imports.

Lol