Aboriginal songs

ok, that song is known as 馬蘭姑娘 in Mandarin…

Song starts at 2:00

The song was written after the 1920s and has a Japanese loan word in it, if not originally a Japanese song to begin with.

Lyrics:

Ina-aw hay ya ama-aw solol-en kako ina,
Oh Mother, oh father, please forgive me, my mother (i beg of you, my mother)

matini si-mi-licay-ay ko wawa no tao, to tireng ako ina,
by now, that gentleman’s son has already proposed to me, my dear mother

ano ca’ay kamo pi-solol to tireng ako ina,
if you won’t allow (forgive) me, my dear mother

o-ma’an say ko pinang ko nika patay,
oh what’s the use, I’ll rather die

makino-tolo-tolo-an no kasoling
and let the train cut me in three

Above is a much much more faithful translation of the original lyrics (translated by me, and I don’t speak the language… so take my translation and claim with a grain of salt). None of the Chinese translation comes near to be accurate, never mind verbatim.

ina - mother
inaaw - oh mother
ama - father
amaaw - oh father
solol - forgiveness
sololen - forgive. en suffix turns it into a verb
matini - As of now
licay - enquire
tireng - body, self
wawa - child
tao - other person (Austronesian root for person)
wawa no tao - that person’s child
ano - if
ca’ay - no
kamo - plural you
O - oh
ma’an say - what
pinang - core, fact, use
patay - death
kasoling - train, Japanese loan word, but the etymology seems to be gasoline?
tolo - three
makino-tolo-tolo-an - be made into 3. Ma turns kino into a noun. Don’t know what kino actually means. Double 3 to emphasize. -an is a focus suffix.

1 Like

Can’t miss out Ilid Kaolo (以莉·高露) if you are into Aboriginal music. She used to go by 小美 before restoring her aboriginal name, as seen in marasan’s first post in this thread. Ilid is also Amis Pangcah, and does Mandarin and Pangcah songs. Below are some sample of her songs, you can probably find the full songs somewhere online, especially youtube.

Waves (海浪)
yahoo.streetvoice.com/indievox/song/98746/

Graceful lady (優雅的女士)
yahoo.streetvoice.com/indievox/song/98732/

This song is dedicated to Kikuko Yatauyungana (高菊花), the daughter of Uyongu Yatauyungana (高一生, 矢多一生) a musician and a Tsou leader killed by the KMT during the white terror era.

Here’s Ilid singing Uyongu’s song, Furokusu no hana (フロクスの花)

Grandma’s murmurs (阿嬤呢喃)
yahoo.streetvoice.com/indievox/song/98740/

Nice, hansioux. Here’s a modern version of the Elders Drinking Song (I have this CD and the whole song sounds great) contrasted with the traditional version.

1 Like

[quote=“marasan”]Nice, hansioux. Here’s a modern version of the Elders Drinking Song (I have this CD and the whole song sounds great) contrasted with the traditional version.

[/quote]

The first time I’ve heard that rendition is by Ado’ Kalitaing Pacidal and Suming. The video you posted doesn’t have Suming in it but Ado’ definitely in it.

Can’t find Ado’ and Suming’s version. Now most clips with Suming sing the Sapiliepah a radiw (Elders Drinking Song) has the new rendition with string instruments, instead of the original one with bongos

The closest I could find are these

Short clip with Ado’

better quality with Ado’ and bongos

Suming - Sapiliepah a radiw unplugged, no Ado’

By the way, while looking for Ilid’s performances, I came across this gem:

It’s the 2005 Presidential Office Music Festival, which is all aboriginal themed. Ado’ and Parangalan (胡德夫) introduced the life story of Uyongu Yatauyungana. Ilid performed Uyongu’s songs, with Suming playing flute. CSB was looking happy to be able to hear Uyongu’s music.

This should be the official song of the Taidong tourism bureau.

1 Like

Check out how this promo video for the Challenge Taiwan Triathlon (in 2013, I think) makes heavy use of aboriginal themes and songs. I really like it. This is a German company and they did a great job with the organization of the entire triathlon, including with this video.

1 Like

[quote=“marasan”]Nice, hansioux. Here’s a modern version of the Elders Drinking Song (I have this CD and the whole song sounds great) contrasted with the traditional version.

[/quote]

Difang is the Amis elder whose Drinking Song was illegally used by the German rock group Enigma for their 1996 Olympic theme song Return to Innocence. A sad story.

web.archive.org/web/20091027110 … icle1.html

2 Likes

https://www.facebook.com/pangulje.lintaw/videos/765693966897800/

I don’t know how to embed that video. It’s the same song that I started this thread with (the song done at Witch House). A couple of young aborigines in their teens (it looks like to me). Very well done.

[quote=“marasan”]https://www.facebook.com/pangulje.lintaw/videos/765693966897800/

I don’t know how to embed that video. It’s the same song that I started this thread with (the song done at Witch House). A couple of young aborigines in their teens (it looks like to me). Very well done.[/quote]

that’s an amazing rendition.

by the way, Suming won an Golden Horse Award for best original music for the Pangcah movie Wawa no Cidal

their performance at the Golden Horse Awards

That was shared by some friends on FB. Nice. The aborigines I know were very moved by this performance (to tears was a common comment).

Not one of Matzka’s newest songs, but definitely my favorite.

1 Like

Nice. I remember playing an aboriginal song with modern influences like this one to my mother-in-law. She was in the back of the car (we had a big minivan then with a decent stereo) and just kept laughing at the lyrics. I imagine she thought it was funny also that she could understand all the words to a song like that (normally in English or an incomprehensible Mandarin).

By the way, Suming won the Golden Melody Song of the Year award with Aka Pisawad (never give up) back in June. GMA is like Taiwan’s Grammy, and this is the first time that an Aboriginal song won the Song of the Year title. Usually Aboriginal songs not in Mandarin gets relegated to the Best Aboriginal Singer award. However, Suming got little attention for it. Most news papers had GMA news on the front page, but didn’t feature Suming on it.

I guess there’s still a long way to go.

The best Aboriginal singer award this year went to Sangpuy

2 Likes

Haven’t had time to listen to your shares yet, but let me get this posted before I forget. Hansioux, I would love to get your feedback on the song (who the guest is- at least he seems like a guest to the group, what language the aboriginal lyrics part is in, etc.).

VUVU的天空 –Box ing 樂團
又過了一年 妳離去那天
漫步田野間 扶桑朵朵艷
回憶在眼前 每一個瞬間
山林溪水邊 妳我的每天

赤足走 泥土溫厚
心感受 妳的微笑雙眸
伸出手 微風輕柔
抬起頭 天空有妳守候
記得小時候 有妳的守候
只要勇敢笑就不用愁
記得小時候 和我手牽手
笑或淚回家路一起走

aiyang tiya vuvu keinaukavan amen
(憶起Vuvu她的看顧與包容)
mapuljat ula ma-nguwa-nguwa-anga timaza su vuvu
(讓我們現在過得很好)
sa iaung aen tjanumun
(我誠摯的期望)
ulja iljaljain amen mapuljat tiya men a su vuvu imaza ya acawan
(我們依舊受妳的眷顧)
ti vuvu ljacja-vuvu a lasulasugi pagi mamilien
(不能辜負Vuvu 我們要永遠團結)

1 Like

The only Aboriginal orthography I know that features a “tj” combination is Paiwan, which represents the voiceless pal​a​tal stop /c/

So I’m gonna say the chorus is in Paiwan. (I looked up Boxing on wikipedia, and they are indeed Paiwan).

Is the guest the one on the bongo? Or the guy with the glasses? The one on the bongo probably is Boxing’s drummer Mudi. The guy with the glasses is Ye Bing-huan (葉秉桓), who is from Taoyuan’s Lalashan. He’s most well known for competing in The Voice of China. His connection with Boxing might be that they are both signed by Amei.

1 Like

[quote=“hansioux”]The only Aboriginal orthography I know that features a “tj” combination is Paiwan, which represents the voiceless pal​a​tal stop /c/

So I’m gonna say the chorus is in Paiwan. (I looked up Boxing on wikipedia, and they are indeed Paiwan).

Is the guest the one on the bongo? Or the guy with the glasses? The one on the bongo probably is Boxing’s drummer Mudi. The guy with the glasses is Ye Bing-huan (葉秉桓), who is from Taoyuan’s Lalashan. He’s most well known for competing in The Voice of China. His connection with Boxing might be that they are both signed by Amei.[/quote]

Great information. Thanks for that!

'A I Daa Ni, a Rukai song by 張仰華, featuring 杜紹穎, her cousin. Wish I know their Rukai names, but I can’t seem to find them online.

1 Like

I watched part of that 太陽的孩子 with the wife (she’s Amei). It started to get a little heavy and we both weren’t in the mood for that on that day. I think some things hit too close to home for my wife, too, so we only watched the first thirty minutes or so.

Well, the song’s not bad at all. I like aboriginal songs that are a little less refined, usually, but the tune from the movie’s nice.

@hansioux, educate me on Sangpuy. I know almost exclusively Amis artists.

1 Like