Acid reflux, abdominal pain, and obesity

Fantastic thread. I have wondered about this as well.

When I was 20ish I was 75kg. Now in the 90s (older, joints hurt do my exercise routine is drastically reduced while my diet is more or less similar haha)

I’m 6’4 ish. Or there abouts. But even as a kid I had acid reflux issues in Taiwan. I think my lowest weight here was 71kg. My first years were spent with massive “stomach” issues. For almost a decade. Waking up nauseous, puking, runs etc. Loads of hospital visits all around Taiwan. I still get the same feelings, but I notice quite strongly that diet makes a massive difference!

When I eat certain things, the symptoms return. When i aboid them, i am a normal human being, even if i am heavier than when i first arrived here.

Some things that trigger my belly are: acids (vinegar, citrus etc. ), super heavy oily foods, excessive salty/sodium type foods (too much if them), heavily preserved foods (which are usually a id and/or sodium based).

A $30 bag of doritos now fuxks up my entire day. Many things at 711 do. Kimchi. Often does. Scared eggs. Preserved seafood etc. I avoid these things.

I keep a bag of corn based Nachos on hand for after eating. They are salty, sure, but they help my stomach settle. Something potatoes, wheat etc never seems to do as well. Nachos are slightly fermented. Eating cooked corn does not help.

I have noticed this as well in the past with certain types of drinks. Obviously acid based ones (citrus), but also wheat beers and other similar sour drinks like Cider. Quitting alcohol seems like the no brainer solution.

1 Like

ALL

what is one sentence of best advice u can give.

Me: don’t go bed on a full stomach.

1 Like

So i stop eating 24/7 or stop sleeping?

Use whatever meds are necessary (protein pump inhibitors did it for me, but not a long-term solution), then lose 5 kilos and see if there is any improvement. You want to go down two or three notches on your belt because it’s the fat in the stomach you want to reduce. That is my advice. Completely gone since losing 5 kilos.

Yes, mine goes completely below a certain weight. I was just joking.

For me, staying away from bread helps. If i have a lot of bread too close to bed time, heart burn and acid reflux.

1 Like

For me it’s sesame oil. But it seems to be mostly gone now. I think keeping up a running routine has really helped.last few months I’ve hit 100 miles of running a month. No more Gerd for now unless I try to drink alcohol

1 Like

I heard obesity is supposed to cause GERD but it’s never been a problem for me…

Not yet

Really? Maybe we should have a thread about obesity and GERD.

2 Likes

It’s good to know I’m not the only one. It sure beats being on daily medication.