Activated Carbon Filter Face Masks: Any Good?

get one of them activated carbon filter face masks available at supermarkets and convenience stores. they really work!

Bullshitā€¦ prove it. The only filters in those things are two bags called lungsā€¦ not included with your purchase.

sons of vermont, agreed.

the crapola hokey little face masks do absorb some of the dirt, but they can only work on the dirty air that goes through the filter. as the masks are not closed face masks with a pressure fit, they donā€™t block the majority of the air, that goes in and out of your lungs by flowing AROUND the mask.

and a proper face mask would look like darth vaders mask, and be completely impractical for daily living. have a look at the breathing equipment firefighters use in bad air: thatā€™s about the minimum for effective complete filtration. carbon filters also become saturated quickly, and then they just become toxic limiters to your breathing instead.

consider the fact that your tidal volume (amount of air pushed in and out each breath while resting /walking slowly) is about 500 mL to 750 mL. then factor in the extra breath volume when breathing hard frm exercise, like cycling, running, shagging, etc.: maybe 2,000 mL or more, at about 40 times per minute. you need a seriously high-flow filter system to deal with that, and not restrict your breathing, which would limit your performance dramatically: you only get just enough air in at those high rates as it is.

the efforts i see around on the streets, on the MRT, on a scooter, are pure tokenism. but masks like that continue to sell as people can see the filters getting dirty. they donā€™t understand that that black shit in their nose is the 95% of filthy air from China that the filters donā€™t even get a chance to captureā€¦

hello??? itā€™s common knowledge that activated carbon absorbs many chemicals common in what we generally call ā€˜polluted airā€™!

iā€™m no scientist but itā€™s common knowledge. AC is also used for water filtration.

google it!

My challenge was to you. you stepped into the breach firstā€¦ now prove it.

ā€˜stepped into the breachā€™ā€¦erā€¦ DUH . rolls eyes

go to google. type in, activated carbon + air + filtration.

i believe itā€™s used by various government bodies to clean air and water, including some in the US.

now, i have better things to do with my time. :raspberry:

Thatā€™s not sufficientā€¦ you make extraordinary claims for those paper masks, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

okay, mental note not to waste my time getting into these uniquely forumosa arguments!

:offtopic: guys, this is pretty far off topic ā€¦ all this mask nonsens has been spammed in another thread already ā€¦

You are citing as support for your claim a press release from a manufacturer and seller of the masks?

You have got to be kidding?

Thatā€™s actually funny :laughing: ā€¦in a sad wayā€¦ :s

Run rabbit, run.

Almondbiscuit, hereā€™s an easy experiment you can do yourself.
Take the best paper mask you can get your hands on. I believe during the SARS scare the 3M activated charcoal ones were being touted as one of the best.
Now, get a common-or-garden wet-wipe and secure it over your nose and mouth, making sure thereā€™s no leakage around the sides. Then, put on your mask. Go outseide. Walk around. Breathe. You donā€™t have to do this for very long ā€“ a frighteningly short time, in fact. Remove mask. Remove wet-wipe. Look at all the dirt on it that got past your mask. Normally, that would be in your lungs.

er

BP: noted.
That thread has died in tempā€¦ and if there is any possible way to revive it and merge it into a mask thread as a stand alone topic, then much obliged to you all. This is an important issue to some of us and it should have a good airing out.

Another problem with these masks is that while they do not keep pollutants out of your lungs, they do provide an obstacle to free breathing. This obstacle to free breathing results in the wearer breathing more deeply to compensate, and thus he/she delivers more pollutants deeper into his/her lungs.

letā€™s see some evidence from you that AC doesnā€™t filter out pollutants in the air. since youā€™re so sure.

Stay tuned ABā€¦ Iā€™ll be back.

BP: noted.
That thread has died in tempā€¦ and if there is any possible way to revive it and merge it into a mask thread as a stand alone topic, then much obliged to you all. This is an important issue to some of us and it should have a good airing out.[/quote]

no airing out from me, no thanks.

forumosans are a bunch of WEIRDOs. WEIRDOS!

i realised this before, but took me this long to realise it againā€¦good riddance to all of you!

:raspberry: :raspberry: :raspberry: :raspberry: :raspberry: :raspberry: :raspberry:[/quote]

well at least you know how to fight fair! :unamused:

[quote]forumosans are a bunch of WEIRDOs. WEIRDOS!

i realised this before, but took me this long to realise it againā€¦good riddance to all of you! [/quote]
This is quite wonderful debating style. I may adopt it myself, so that people will think Iā€™m clever.

almondbiscuit: This is weirdness!

Dr Evil:
[color=red]This is FORUMOSA!!![/color]
(followed by a swift kick into the Temp Forum)