Adopt TuDou - quite possibly the easiest dog in the world!

This is TuDou.

By seanimals, shot with DYNAX 7D at 2009-08-01

He was rescued after being found hobbling along the side of a very dangerous road in a very poorly state. He was covered in ticks and extremely thin - literally skin and bones. He had a microchip, but when taken to his owner, it was obvious that neither was glad to see the other. The owner said that TuDou had run away a week ago. TuDou, however, could hardly walk and, at the time, was not even able to step up or down a kerb.

TuDou has been treated for the ticks as well as the blood disease he got from them. He is now putting on weight and is much more agile; in fact, he insisted on coming on our daily 45-minute walks with the other dogs, and, although slower - particularly on hills - he manages to keep up, happily wagging his tail as he goes.

TuDou is extremely well-behaved. He never barks (I don’t think he can), never chews anything, never snaps, is cheap to feed and easy as pie to walk. He loves company but is happy by himself, as he mostly sleeps. He is housebroken and neutered, and believed to be only three years old, but he does seem like an old man.

All he needs is a nice easy walk once or twice a day (though three bathroom breaks, please) and someone to rub and scratch him, as his elongated frame and short limbs mean he can’t do that himself.

He comes when called, is fine with cats, and is the kind of dog you’ll hardly know is there. If you live above ground floor, you may have to carry him up and down some of the stairs, as they really are tricky for him - though he gets better and better at that every day.

TuDou is neutered, vaccinated, and microchipped, and I do ask for a donation to cover those expenses.

If you would like to give TuDou a lifelong, loving home, or even temporary foster care until that home comes, please contact me today via PM, by e-mail at sean@taiwanspca.org, or call me on 0920 620 109.

Thank you!

Sean McCormack
Taiwan SPCA

bumpety bump

All this little one needs is a lotta loving care and in a month he’ll be plump and happy. My Toto was a bit down too at the beginning, but once they realize this home is for them, boy, the spark in their eyes comes back.

I wonder if brushing can help in this case -and what kind of brush could be used- to make him more confy.

EDIT:
Maybe he can learn to do as my dog: use me as a scratching post. I see him rubbing his head and side against me, I think, how cute, he’s being nice. Nope, he’s getting rid of chicken crumbs or dust. :fume:

TuDou is a gem. Take it from me, it is so nice to have a friendly dog who gets along with everybody and doe snot go into barking sprees! Last night, there were a couple of Chihuahuas at the park -spoiled rotten, poor thinghies- you could hear them two blocks ahead…

Ain’t that the truth. Some dogs take a bit longer to feel at home, but they ALL figure it out sooner than later. It’s awesome when you realize that a dog that was bummed out is coming around wagging tail when you come home. That spark in their eyes is priceless. :slight_smile:

marboulette

I need to get an updated pic, because he is looking happier now . . . not over the moon, but happier - especially when he gets to tag along on the evening walks, bless him.

TuDou is a different dog these days in all the best ways. He’s happy, relaxed, confident, and much more agile now. He handles the stairs no problem at all and even jumps out the back of the car when we go for walks.

He loves going for walks and to just snooze by my feet. He comes for affection but never bothers me, and his appetite is much better, though he still stays skinny.

He really is an easy and rewarding dog to have by your side. You’ll thank the day you adopted him. Please contact me today.

Thank you!

Sean

I’m fostering TuDou. He is very affectionate, loving and easy. He gets on well with everyone. He definitely doesn’t have that whole 'don’t hurt me ’ look he had when Sean found him. We suspect that his vocal chords were cut, because he has the weirdest bark. But he doesn’t really bark. He is a weird looking fellow, but sooooooo sweet:) He has a loooooong body and short legs, but he gets all jumpy and excited and runs in circles when I grab the leashes to take them for walks.

here is a video of him playing with the pup. Pup is also up for adoption.

youtube.com/watch?v=eO3UbPQe368

This dog looks great for me! He’s a bit funny looking, but in an endearing way. Although it’s sad that he can’t bark, that’s probably advantageous for me since I live in a thin-walled apartment. Same with the low energy situation.
So he’s being fostered now. Will he be up for adoption again later? I’d love to meet him.
And when you say “cheap to feed”, how cheap is that exactly? And what do you feed him?

Hi, XinBiDe.

TuDou is low energy, though we found he has a new zeal for life since he met Lucas, the puppy who is being fostered with him. They make a fantastic pair. Very fun and lovable.

TuDou is available for adoption (as is Lucas), and you’d be very welcome to meet him; we just need to send you a short questionnaire in the meantime. You can email me at sean@taiwanspca.org and I’ll send it to you.

‘Cheap to feed’ is about NT$50 per day. He’s currently fed a natural diet, consisting of raw, meaty bones; blended veggies, fish oil, apple vinegar, garlic, and a few additional bits. I can send you more info about that too.

OK, drop me an email, then take a look at the questionnaire so we can get a better look at your ‘matchability’ to TuDou, and we’ll take it from there.

Thank you for wanting to adopt!

Sean

Ok, so after the whole epilepsy scare (he only had 2 fits, nothing after that) and his current illness (Leptospirosis…from drinking rat pee??) I decided that I will keep TuDou. We’ve been through so much together.

oh my
this last week has been tough! He started vomiting and turned yellow…the vet did loads of blood tests…he thought maybe TuDou drank some rat pee that gave him a parasite.

Had to take him for 3 shots every day…what a trooper. His gums, eyes and skin turned yellow…which could also be Barbesia…caused by ticks.

Then last nite the vet felt something…so I took him for an X-ray and it looks like a tumor. Going back tonite for a scan to make sure…
please send positive vibes to the little guy…

I’m sorry to hear that. Good vibes sent.

Poor TuDou. We’ll be thinking of him.

Yes, poor little thing. Hang in there Tudou.

Seems like the tumor isn’t causing the problems, maybe it’s always been there. The vet can’t tell from the scan what kind of tumor it is. Once TuDou is better(he is still pretty sick, white gums, orange pee) the vet can give him surgery to find out what kind it is…but he says not much to be done. So I’m not as stressed as I was thinking the tumor is causing his problems.

He felt a little weak today , refused to eat, so I got him steak. He ate that…yay.

Poor baby. I wish him a speedy recovery !!

[quote=“Battery9”]Seems like the tumor isn’t causing the problems, maybe it’s always been there. The vet can’t tell from the scan what kind of tumor it is. Once TuDou is better(he is still pretty sick, white gums, orange pee) the vet can give him surgery to find out what kind it is…but he says not much to be done. So I’m not as stressed as I was thinking the tumor is causing his problems.

He felt a little weak today , refused to eat, so I got him steak. He ate that…yay.[/quote]

There is hope. There is life in him still. :laughing:

TuDou is at NTU. He has Babesia…thank you so much to the 4 dogs who tried to donate blood today, no match so far. He got a dose of Babesia meds…only half a dose almost killed him on Sat, because it lowers the red blood cells even more. So holding thumbs!

Had to look that one up:

[quote]Infection occurs when a Babesia infected tick bites a dog and releases Babesia sporozoites into the dog’s bloodstream. A tick must feed for 2-3 days to infect a dog with Babesia. The young Babesia organisms attach to red blood cells, eventually penetrating and making a new home for themselves within. Inside the red blood cell, the Babesia organism divests its outer coating and begins to divide, becoming a new form called a “merozoite” which a new tick may ingest during a blood meal. Infected pregnant dogs can spread Babesia to their unborn puppies and dogs can transmit the organism by biting another dog as well.

Having a parasite inside one’s own red blood cells does not go undetected by one’s immune system. Infected red blood cells are identified and destroyed which kills the Babesia organism but, unfortunately, if many red blood cells are infected this leaves the host with anemia, a lack of red blood cells. Often the host’s immune system will begin destroying the uninfected red cells as well, a condition called Immune-Mediated Hemolytic Anemia. Symptoms include weakness, jaundice, fever, red or orange colored urine. At least 50% of patients will require blood transfusions.

Making matters worse is the fact that animals seem to get sicker than the degree of anemia would suggest so that there is more to this infection than the actual destruction of red blood cells. The severe inflammation that is associated with this parasitism can be overwhelming and completely separate from the anemia. Platelet counts can drop thus impairing normal blood clotting (especially a problem with Babesia gibsoni). An assortment of neurologic signs of can occur with Babesia infection when parasites sequester inside the central nervous system and generate a more localized focus of inflammation. In severe cases there is a lung injury similar to what people with late stage malaria can experience. The new California Babesia species seem predisposed to creating liver disease.

If the acute symptoms are relatively mild or at least non-lethal, a chronic infection can develop. This is usually without symptoms but the dog may continue to be a source of infection to feeding ticks. Relapses can also occur with stress.

Because babesiosis is a tick-borne infection, it is not unusual for infected dogs to have other tick-borne infections such as Ehrlichiosis, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and others. These infections may interact to make each other more severe.

Young dogs tend to be most severely infected, especially Pit Bull terriers.

[/quote]
marvistavet.com/html/body_ba … _dogs.html

Damn ticks! Hate those things! And this year they seem worse than ever. Hate global warning!

And as I suspected:

2ndchance.info/babesia.htm

:fume: