Advice and tips on dating Taiwanese girls

Unless you come from a Taiwanese background, don’t worry about whether visiting her family or home is a bold move or not, and don’t worry about whether that raises expectations of marriage or not. You are all alone in Taiwan as a foreigner, and you know she knows they know. So there is no particular expectation to speak of. If her families like you then that’s great. If not then at least you know.

as you guys are not even officially dating i don’t see any seriousness attached to meeting her parents.

but if you are not comfortable then don’t do it. i haven’t met my gfs parents yet and we have been together for a while. their attitude to anyone dating their daughter is completely in the dark ages so i am in no rush with that one.

In my limited experience with TW girls. There seems to be two kinds. One that wants to introduce you to their parents at the first opportunity. And one that delays that meeting until you are both serious.

Some girls want to get any parental objection out of the way before they attach any feelings to you. The others want to make a choice themselves then face the parents.

Which girl is smarter?

The first girl brings by any casual friend and if the parents like the man they will say something like “oh that guy seems not bad” and the girl knows she’s got a green light. If the parents have a strong objection right away, she will likely stop any further contact before she gets involved.

There are more possible problems with the girl who does what she wants and then tries to talk the parents into it. If the parents have a strong objection, things can get ugly.

Taiwanese girls usually have a very strong attachment to family and the family usually wins in the end…but not always…there is a chance.

Many Taiwanese girls these days marry men INTO their family , rather then marry OUT of their family. Because very often it’s the man’s family that doesn’t totally support the prospective bride.

The man’s family often thinks nobody is good enough for their son and is very often highly critical of any prospective mates. That is a reason most guys don’t bring their girlfriends around the house. And the girl’s family often thinks nobody is good enough for their daughter, but if the daughter marries they marry someone IN to THEIR family.

Families are having far fewer children these days so the attachment to their kids is much stronger then if they had half a dozen or more like the old days.

Reviving this thread to say that the magic ingredient might just be: “chili oil.” :rofl:

Guy

7 Likes

Maybe she will end up being a he.

I can guess her age from that conversation. 37.

1 Like

Does anyone have any tips and tricks on dating Taiwanese girls you met through friends in real life?

I’m a Tinder veteran at this point, but am realizing that I have next to zero dating skills when it comes to initiating/showing interest/flirting in real life, with someone I met through friends in real life. Millennial problems.

Here is the story of my interactions with the girl in question, in a simple and digestible timeline format. All persons involved are Taiwanese who don’t have any Western friends, never lived in the West, and all interactions are in Mandarin.

Disclaimer: This is kind of a long story, but I promise there are some amusing parts. To prevent yourselves from getting bored, you may picture us naked in the story, and replace our faces with hot celebrities of your choice.

About 6 months ago:
I met the girl in question, whom we shall call Tiffany, via some mutual friends who brought her to my home for game night, and we played some party games on my Switch together. Tiffany seemed to show some interest in me, but there was another woman here that night who was also very aggressively showing interest in me. I had zero interest in this other woman (who turned out to already have a boyfriend, but we are still friends). Exchanged contact info with Tiffany.

Between 5 and 3 months ago:
Tiffany had been coming to my home regularly for game nights (maybe 3 or 4 times), along with a small group of my other friends each time. Each time Tiffany was comfortable coming alone, and open to meeting new people.

I also happened to bump into her at maybe 3-5 other get-togethers our mutual friends organized throughout this time. We never had long conversations, and I wasn’t super interested in her at this point because I had my eye on someone else who is now irrelevant. I liked Tiffany too, but did not want to be obvious for fear of giving her false hope, since I was pursing the other girl.

All this time Tiffany and I kept in touch on Line. Our conversations had some jest and jokes, but were never flirty or much more than just me inviting her over for game nights, or me commenting on her Instagram Stories. Pretty much all invites have been enthusiastically received and accepted.

Between 3 months ago and 1 month ago:
Minimal contact. Focus was mostly on the other girl who is now irrelevant to this story. Irrelevant girl eventually left the country, which was the point at which she became irrelevant. I started thinking maybe I should start pursing Tiffany, but never took action.

No game nights. Occasional “Hey! Long time no see!” texts.

Last week:
A male friend (whom we shall call Ugly Peter) tells me he just happened to meet Tiffany at another event organized by our mutual friends, and asked me if I knew her (we have some mutual friends, but Tiffany and Ugly Peter were never at my home for game night together, and therefore never met before this point). I said yes, and he asked me if I was pursuing her. I lied and said yes. I was considering pursuing her, so I couldn’t risk having Ugly Peter get a head start.

Ugly Peter invited me to dinner, along with a couple of others, and I invited Tiffany for reasons still unknown to me. I guess I figured Ugly Peter was harmless (he is fucking ugly after all) and I wanted to somehow “prove” to him that I was indeed pursuing Tiffany.

Had a great time at dinner. Ugly Peter held back, but Tiffany kind of sensed that he was into her, so she gave me extra attention. When time came for us to move the party to my home, Tiffany very enthusiastically offered me to ride together. Signal received! I agreed. Ugly Peter and the others looked at one another with surprise, most likely thinking “Oh boy. Let’s pray they survive the trip”.

Now we come to the amusing part of the story, which unfortunately I must tell with brevity due to liability, privacy, and other reasons. Long story short, I almost got us both killed.

We eventually arrived at my home for game night and met up with the others. All was well, and the others were none the wiser. We both had a great time, and I started to really like her. We swore an oath to never speak of the incident, so that’s why I am not elaborating. Sorry.

Now, here comes the confusing part.

Last night:
Ugly Peter invited both me and Tiffany to see a movie, along with another male friend. Surprisingly, Tiffany kept talking to Ugly Peter this time, leaving me hanging with the other male friend. When we arrived at the movie, she very obviously (but not intentionally obvious) tried to get a seat between me and Ugly Peter instead of on my other side.

During the movie, Ugly Peter and Tiffany shared a bucket of popcorn, and occasionally whispered who knows what to each other, and giggled. I was fuming.

However, after the movie, Tiffany didn’t talk much to Ugly Peter, which gave me a chance to go in and small-talk her. I asked her what she thought of the movie, what other movies she wanted to see, and she got excited and expressed interest.

Ugly Peter and the other male friend got off the elevator first to get to their vehicle, leaving me in the elevator alone with Tiffany. She asked how I was getting home since the MRT was closed, and I told her I was just going to call an Uber. She said “I would totally offer you a ride, but it’s kind of late and your place isn’t really on the way…”

We both knew what she was really thinking. :coffin: :coffin: :latin_cross:

I awkwardly brushed it off and said it wasn’t a problem, and we parted ways.

So, what’s next? What should I do now? I literally have no idea how to express interest in Tiffany, and actually don’t even know if I should just give up at this point. Should I ask her out on a one-on-one date? Or is that too forward for a Taiwanese girl? Should I start chatting with her on Line (beyond just arranging game nights and dinners, etc.)?

What’s next?

2 Likes

I’m not an expert on women or Taiwanese women, but have had my share of experience.

I’d say, if you’re interested make your interest clear. You’ve put in the time as a friend. She might just be hedging her bets with this other guy because you’re not making a move.

Do you have a favorite place you’d like to show her? Invite her, and if she doesn’t bite, she isn’t interested.

Speaking of amusing:

Are you familiar with Stephen King’s Thinner?

3 Likes

How old are you? Sounds like early 20s ish behavior. Lots of farting around. You are not even sure if you like her. If you like her then ask her out (go to a restraurant and have a walk) by herself, its as simple that. If not, then stop farting around and let her ride off into the sunset with stinky pete or whatever.

9 Likes

Wanna know secret of taiwanese girls? There is none. They are just girls. Just like any other girls in any other country
My advice to everyone based on my personal experience is just go for it if u feel it . You feel u like a girl? just fucking tell her without caring what she might /may think of you. thats none of your problem. If its suppose to work , it will. So if u feel u like her, go tell her. U feel u r not sure, then you dont like her.

People spend wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too much time thinking if and this and that. In the end u will realise thatr the girl u actually end up being with, she accepted u the way u are and u didnt even have to work too hard regarding it.

9 Likes

I don’t think that’s appropriate for Taiwanese women unless you met on Tinder or something and your intentions are clear? I tried that once and it backfired. I think you’re supposed to tell them you’re into them first? Which is super awkward. That’s definitely not how it works in the US.

Do Taiwanese on message boards ask questions like “give me some advice on dating foreigners” and what is that advice like?

2 Likes

Probably, and , Who Cares? you don’t want to date the kind of girls who get advice from random strangers on the internet

How does one even bring that up? Back in the US, you don’t tell women you like them. If you like them you just ask them out a date and it’s clear, but I don’t think straight-up asking girls out on 1-1 dates right away is appropriate here?

It seems to me girls here expect to be at the point where you are texting daily before a date can even be considered?

Do you think this is an appropriate time to straight-up ask her on a date? It seems to me Taiwanese women like to first get to the point where they are texting daily before a date can even be considered.

reads like a Mando-pop song.

She might like me. I might like her.
There’s an ugly third-wheel involved.
We did something, but I cannot divulge details.
Now she doesn’t pay attention.

Refrain: Does she like ugly guy?
Oh man. what should I do?
We did something, but why she into ugly guy?
Oh boy, really, what should I do?
Repeat refrain.

9 Likes

I hope that doesn’t mean Tiffany also shouldn’t date the kind of guy who gets advice from random strangers on the internet (i.e. me)!

3 Likes

Without knowing any of the people involved*…seems safe to say that 6 months or more is long enough for you to ask her out directly…She might be waiting for you to do this? Or was and it didn’t happen so she cooled on it?

Seems like this point you’d be doing both of you a favor by just asking her to dinner. You’ll get the resolution you seek one way or the other…

6 Likes

Yes, but you should have done this ages ago. You’ve left it so long you’re in danger of getting friendzoned, if she hasn’t done that already. You might want to be a bit more direct that “asking her out for a date”, given how well you know each other, but that depends a lot on the person, so you’ll have to gauge that for yourself.

As @amitkattal said, girls are just girls. Taiwanese girls, in my limited experience, don’t have any particular cultural roadblocks that will result in humorous misunderstandings.

8 Likes