Aeon Scooters

Yay or nay?

Been talking to the local mechanics that I know and hear nothing but good things about them. My only concern is that they seem to be too good to be true. According to various mechanics they are close to Yamaha for quality (better than kymco and sym) and yet cheaper than all other local brands.

Anyone have additional info?

those big boxy pink and turqoise one? Which one would you get? I love the look and sound of the Aeon mini motorcycles:)

Their 150cc OZ is cheaper than my 125cc Cygnus. And looks cooler. Has a bunch of extras like cool LEDs, a fish eye headlight, a lighter charger thingy…

Link: oursogo.com/thread-1374770-1-1.html

From what I hear they either use Yamaha engines (but it’s a secret, perhaps the Taiwan company that makes Yamaha engines sells them to Aeon out the back door) or they told someone to “copy” Yamaha’s engines. Either way they have a 2 year full warranty on their scooters compared to everyone else’s 1 year.

I’m pretty sure I’ll buy one…just wanted to see if I could find anyone with more info on them.

Finally found an unbiased review: oursogo.com/forum.php?mod=viewth … t=oz%2B150

It’s in Chinese, but from the gist of it they seem to say…tires are crap, fish headlight is too dark, but works great with HID, scooter needs to be lowered…and the rest I have trouble making out.

Well, I’ve had the opportunity to ride an AEON 250 that my friend had bought. He got it for dirt cheap, like maybe 90,000 with only 4,000 KMs on it.
Compared to my 250 Grand Dink, it doesn’t have as much much power on acceleration, or top speed. But then again, I haven’t had the same amount of
time on it as I have my scooter, so I’ll say I’m a little biased against it for that reason alone. Maybe the fact that the AEON 250 has 14" wheels compared
to my scooter having 12 " wheels could have something to do with it too. I guess the other thing too is that the engine on the AEON seems to rev higher
at the same speed as my scooter. So I’m guessing that the roller weights and/or the final gear reduction isn’t tweaked well enough on a factory AEON.
Also, it’s not just the tires on the AEON that seems to be the problem, it also seems to be the way they’ve set up the rake (I think that’s what it’s called)
on the front forks. My friend complained that on his AEON that the scooter would shake in the steering column when he was in a turn. Now that could
have been the tires, or the way the forks were set up, or both. He did get the fork angle changed on it, and he swears it’s much better now, but I think it’s
worse. I find the steering way too touchy now, well at least as slow speeds. It’s like I end up having to correct my over-steering on it at low speed.
Anyways, I hope you get the chance to ride one for yourself and say what you think of them.

I just got a Kymco, and the warranty was two years.

Hmm, well I know that Kymcos are quick. Talked to a few people about that. My friend has a Racing 150 and he is MUCH faster than my 125 Cygnus. I know he has an extra 25cc, but still…crazy fast. BUT people I’ve talked to say that’s because Kymco engines are build like modified engines right off the bat…so they give extra power…but after 30k mileage they start to burn oil…etc. I’m sure that’s not all of them. But enough to make the mechanics I know not buy them.

But the wobble while turning worries me. Thanks for that info John.

I also have a good friend that has the 250cc Aeon. He likes it because he rides him and his gf around every weekend, but it has had a few problems and he got it brand new…but all scooters will have small problems. I personally wouldn’t buy one, but I think they look great. Look at the CPI scooters, they look so cool, just like a Euro scooter and they are dirt cheap. You can buy them new for about 40k. The Aeon look very cool but I don’t trust them. I do think those Aeon mini bikes look amazing. I almost want to buy one to cruise around on in the city. They looks amazing for a mini bike. Way better than those girly hardfords.

I bought an Aeon today. We’ll see how it goes. I’ll keep an unbiased report here.

So, what did you buy?

I bought this one: forum.jorsindo.com/thread-2368625-1-1.html

The guy in that forum is comparing his to his previous Cygnus (Cygnus is the BEST 125cc scooter money can buy) and actually says the Aeon comes out ahead in a few categories (but not all).

They didn’t get it licensed in time for the weekend. But I stuck a plate on it and tried it out on Saturday for a little bit. The odometer seemed broken because It was showing me doing 40 in a 50 but I was passing everyone. And I couldn’t get it to show faster than 62-ish on the speedo. Yep…it comes stock in MPH…not KPH. So had to fiddle with that. For a 150 I didn’t notice the extra power…but the engine hasn’t worn in yet. So that will improve over the next 50km or so. Oh and the RPM gauge didn’t work…at all. Other than that it felt very solid and agile with good suspension.

I like the idea of a 250 or 300cc scooter for family ferry duties but I am put off by the excessive weights of the bigger scooters, over twice the weight of a Racing 150 in most cases.

I saw that Aeon MP3 copy thing in the Bike catalogue, but my wife read it for me and it said legislation prevents it from being sold in TW. That is the Aeon scooter I would immediately shortlist. If they went for $150k or less, it would make a great summer replacement for the family car. No doubt about it.

[quote=“jaame”]I like the idea of a 250 or 300cc scooter for family ferry duties but I am put off by the excessive weights of the bigger scooters, over twice the weight of a Racing 150 in most cases.

I saw that Aeon MP3 copy thing in the Bike catalogue, but my wife read it for me and it said legislation prevents it from being sold in TW. That is the Aeon scooter I would immediately shortlist. If they went for $150k or less, it would make a great summer replacement for the family car. No doubt about it.[/quote]

At the Aeon shop they have a lot of 300cc scooters. But big scooters have never interested me…especially since they don’t have a flat floor for my dogs.

[quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“jaame”]I like the idea of a 250 or 300cc scooter for family ferry duties but I am put off by the excessive weights of the bigger scooters, over twice the weight of a Racing 150 in most cases.

I saw that Aeon MP3 copy thing in the Bike catalogue, but my wife read it for me and it said legislation prevents it from being sold in TW. That is the Aeon scooter I would immediately shortlist. If they went for $150k or less, it would make a great summer replacement for the family car. No doubt about it.[/quote]

At the Aeon shop they have a lot of 300cc scooters. But big scooters have never interested me…especially since they don’t have a flat floor for my dogs.[/quote]

How about the Dink? It has a flat foot area… I think the biggest displacement is 250cc.

Anyway, I can’t wait for electric scooters to become the norm. #1, environmental protection. #2, no noise. I just hate noise in general, and the noise of scooters in particular.

Sadly, Kymco stopped making the 250cc version of their 150cc version of the Grand Dink. In fact, I just stopped by the Taiwanese Kymco
website, and they don’t even make the Grand Dink 150 anymore. At least that’s what I think, I’d have to ask my friend at the Kymco
warranty shop to be sure. If that’s true, ARRRRG! I’m worried when Kymco will stop having parts for my 250cc Grand Dink. I know
Kymco has made a 300cc version of the Grand Dink, but it’s fugly, and it has that stupid hump in the foot space. That, and they dumped
the bitch bar. I mean WTF, you make a “cruiser style” scooter and make a “brand name” for it, and then take off the bitch bar. That’s just
wrong…

For those of you who are thinking to yourselves “WTF is john talking about? What is a bitch bar?” Well, here’s a pic of my scooter

See that nice little pad for the person on the passenger seat? That’s for the bitch on the back to rest against when they’re riding with you.
That’s a bitch bar.

Now, some of you may be thinking “Whoa john, you’re a little extreme there, aren’t you? You going on about a bitch bar like that.”
And what I’d have to say back to you is that I’m glad I’m old enough, and was taught proper by my teacher about motorcycles and
how to ride one, is that a motorcycle is a man’s ride (or in this this case, this manly looking and named scooter). It’s meant for one
person only. Now, if you’re going to have someone else on you’re ride, that person is your bitch. It doesn’t matter if it’s a man or a woman.

For those of you who are too young to understand this, I’ll just say “Get off my lawn!!”

Dude, the non-grand Dink is still being sold in 180cc version and looks much better than yours: kymco.com.tw/products/newPro … nk180.html

… and yes, it has the bitch bar, as you call it. I call it a “back rest”. :laughing:

You can’t (shouldn’t) ride a noiseless scooter. It would be a death trap. Sound plus visibility is all that stops people from walking out in front of you when riding.

Dominoes has electric scooters…and once they realized the danger of no sound they added their own (and it’s for safety…the advertising is an added bonus):

If I went for a bigger Kymco it would be the Racing 180cc. That thing impressed the shit out of me on my tour last year (I’m a scooter tour guide). One of my customers had it as a rental and not only was it faster than fuck…it also got the best fuel mileage. Because we ride at an average speed of around 80km/hr and for the 125s they need to work a little…but the Racing 180 just idles along without any effort.

But when I mentioned I wanted a Kymco to my friends at the motorcycle shop…they were ALL very strongly against it. They pretty much said that the reliability of scooters goes like this Yamaha > Aeon > SYM > Kymco . Although the Aeon hasn’t been around long enough to judge…they’re going by the educated guess that since it copies Yamaha in most things that it should last…I’m guessing.

Oh…and the cheaper SYMs are supposedly not SYM. They are cheap China made scooters shipped over and stamped with SYM and sold for super cheap. That’s why you can buy a 125 fuel injected SYM for only 56k. But the more expensive SYMs (70k+) are supposed to be solid.

The guy in Zhongli Motorbike told me the racing 180 had a few problems when it was released, and also it has a lower power to weight ratio than the 150 because it weights 140kg against 118. I love the twin discs and USD forks though.

WRT that hierarchy of reliability, I have to say my wife’s scooter is 15 years old and never misses a beat. It’s got about 90,000km on the clock, I keep it pinned everywhere. For that proven reliabilty Kymco is top of my list, not bottom!