Age Difference

“Emmanuel Macron is married to Brigitte Trogneux, who is 24 years older than him and was his teacher in La Providence high school in Amiens. They first met when he was a 15-year-old student in her class, but were only officially a couple once he was 18. His parents initially attempted to split the couple by sending him away to Paris to finish the final year of his schooling, as they felt his youth made this relationship inappropriate, but the couple stayed together after he graduated and married in 2007. They live with Trogneux’s three children from her previous marriage.”

Wow, the French are so open-minded.
I have an impression that Europeans and North Americans have more tolerance and acceptance regarding having a mate that differs a lot in age.
On the contrary, East Asians like Japanese and Chinese can never accept things like this.
In the past, I once had a crush on older mature women like Mr.Macron did.
However, when I told my family and friends about the idea that I wanted to be with women who are way older, they thought I was mentally ill and should receive some medical treatments.
So much pain and regret.

I’ve found that Asians are pretty accepting of large age differences…as long as the male is older than the female. Asians are sexist like that.

6 Likes

IMO the age difference ideally should be around 5 max 6 years. But as long as there is immense love and affection between you and your better half a little more would not hurt.

1 Like

In your opinion of your own relationships, hopefully not of other peoples’ :wink:

1 Like

Is it sexist, though? It seems like natural human biology.

Yes it is sexist.

1 Like

A certain member of the Big Cat family would probably disagree. :wink:

graceinc2h
“IMO the age difference ideally should be around 5 max 6 years.”

I and a bunch of other people here are way outside that bell curve of yours.

1 Like

There is resonance with the gay marriage debate: does a relationship’s legitimacy cease when the possibility of procreation ceases? (And what does an older woman mean for the ancestral tablets?)

Hey, if people want to chase cougars it’s fine XD

Seriously though, men date younger women or women their age because a woman’s prime years for childbirth are their 20s. So even though we men get older, we are still mostly attracted to young women.

Meanwhile, women are often attracted to slightly older men for the added security they can provide. It all works out and has for all of human history.

No no no. It’s the cougars who do the chasing. If you’re lucky, she may give you a head start.

Believe me, childbirth was the last thing on my mind.

Historically, yes. But these days I think it’s becoming an increasingly outdated cultural construct. You have your limbs intact and can hold down a job? Don’t expect me to provide for you.

1 Like

I’m not sure how many anthropologists would agree with that.

I like younger ladies, a brother likes older ladies, a sister likes younger men.

But i started out liking older ladies.

Age is a number. What is more important is if you get along.

An all hetero family…are you sure you live in the Bay Area, Tommy?

So basically Macron and his high-school teacher have been a couple from the time he was 15. Just imagine reversed roles. A 39 year old male teacher starts dating his 15 year old female student.

Exactly. Because women have no agency, apparently.

#donaldtrump

Right right, but “cultural constructs” are geverally built on a biological foundation, especially at the subconscious level. Our lizard brain is a powerful evolutionary tool which helps to propagate the species. This is the thing that feminists don’t seem to understand despite claiming to “f’ing live science.”

I’m puzzled as to whether this is a typo? Should it read: “f’ing live science” as in, live (lĭv), v.intr., they engage in the science of life on a daily basis; hence, they’re all layperson biologists? Or is it supposed to be “f’ing love science” which technically and I suppose logically would make more sense?

Otherwise, I wouldn’t argue for or against the lizard brain argument any sooner than I’d make the above sweeping generalization, cuz quite frankly, I haven’t met every feminist. My question is: Don’t feminists (and women in general) rock the same general brain chemistry and structure as men? I mean, even though we’re colloquially “wired differently”? Certainly the woman’s brain is evolving at an equal or greater pace?

What I do know, as a parent and former child of parents is that I would react the same way Macron’s folks did. I’d do whatever I could to split them up. Regardless of gender roles. I’m not the kind of father that’s going to give my boy a nudge and a wink for a job well done, you know what I mean? Fifteen-year-old children, however precocious, haven’t fully developed their lizard brains, and know zero about the world. ANY 39-year-old motherfucker comes sniffing around my 15-year-old and we gonna have a big problem. Pretty sure I speak for the majority of parents I’m acquainted with. This goes beyond cultures, I reckon.

So it worked out for Macron and his lady. Oh well. I suspect they are one of the few exceptions to the rule.

Yes, that’s a typo. :grin:

Women’s brains are evolving? And “certainly”? Not sure about that, but if you can provide evidence I’m all ears. It’s true that men and women are wired differently, yes. Men are wired to be attracted to women at their most attractive, which is generally late teens and twenties. That’s when a woman’s fertility is at its peak. To quote one website, “starting at 32, a women’s chances of conceiving decrease gradually but significantly. From age 35, the fertility decline speeds up. By age 40, fertility has fallen by half. At 30, the chance of conceiving each month is about 20%.”

So yes, women in their 30s and 40s can pass the “boner test” and turn a man on. But the 22-year-old version of said woman will probably have been more physically attractive and will certainly provide better offspring, which is what a man’s hinter brain wants.

This is all just common sense, though. It’s only recently that feminists have started trying to change the age/body shape and other parameters of what men should find attractive, though it’s not their role to do so.