Air pollution levels in Taiwan - grim reading

HHII: that map is incredible. Thank you!

Guy

Just look at the wind map: windfinder.com/weather-maps/ ā€¦ .25/119.18

Everything is coming from North East China, where incidentally the pollution is below average - so much green in Beijing. Of course there is much domestic pollution as well, but it is China thatā€™s causing most of it this time.

I feel like Iā€™m going to be an expert at this in a year or twoā€¦

I donā€™t think you can say everything is coming from China or even most of it is coming from China. Itā€™s seems more likely most of it is coming from Taiwan, but being added to by Chinaā€™s pollution.

This sort of pollution is very common in central and Southern Taiwan in the winter.

Iā€™m well aware of that, but just a few days ago the north was a mix of yellow/green and the east coast and 墾äø were completely green. Also Korea and Japan suddenly got a whole lot worse despite generally being >50% green.

If you pay attention, you can see Korea clearing up from west to east (in the direction of the wind), and now west Japan is slowly greening too.

My prediction is that first Japan will clear up, and in a couple of days Taiwan will too.

Or Iā€™m just making things up.

You could well be right if the wind is blowing directly from China. I just donā€™t want people to use that as an excuse to pretend most pollution in Taiwan is not homegrown.

Looks like the apocalypse has rolled into Taichung over the last few hours with an acrid smell in the air. This IS probably the Chinese brown cloud alright.
Times like this remind me why I have no motivation to move to China.

taqm.epa.gov.tw/pm25/en/PM25A.aspx?area=4

Weā€™ve got reading of PM2.5 up to a high of 175 in Shalu now. Thatā€™s almost 5 times the EPA limit of 35 although many scientists say that is still too high.

Great.

Meanwhile the main map has classed the situation as ā€˜moderateā€™ according to PSI.
taqm.epa.gov.tw/taqm/en/AirForecastMap.aspx

Some bullshit Taiwan.

[quote=ā€œheadhonchoIIā€]Not necessarily although possible of course. Sometimes itā€™s inversions layers that trap the polluted air close to the ground.

As usual I suspect itā€™s a mix of homegrown and Chinese stuff.

Hereā€™s the map.
aqicn.org/map/[/quote]

Thanks for the map, hh. Where I am in China is about the same as Taipei, according to the map, but it seems worse here: smellier and hazier.

Somebody else posted the map up last year, itā€™s great. If you have a smartphone there are apps that can give you similar info.

This is really interesting. Literally in the last hour the pm 2.5 in most of Taichung area has doubled. I confirm that itā€™s accurate because I was out a couple of hours ago and there was no pollution more than the regular haze.

Glad I donā€™t live in Shalu, now itā€™s gone to 237 , 4 times mornings level which was still terrible according to European levels.
taqm.epa.gov.tw/pm25/en/PM25A.aspx?area=4 (click on the chart on the right to see the hourly measurements)

Of course one shouldnā€™t be surprised at this since Shalu also contains the worldā€™s BIGGEST coal fired power plant.
wikimapia.org/16558956/Taichung-Power-Plant

But it does show how important real-time monitoring is and how different conditions can be in neighbouring areas and how conditions change so quickly.

For a comparison here are the numbers in London. The difference seems to be that the pollution there generally has spikes but it doesnā€™t stick around long. Over 40 ppm for a length of time was considered a serious pollution event there and Itā€™s one of the worst places in Europe for air pollution even though itā€™s average 2.5 level is 20 ppm. Compared to Asia itā€™s nothing though.

londonair.org.uk/london/asp/ ā€¦ isodes.asp

chinadialogue.net/article/s ā€¦ -pollution

Any apps youā€™d particularly recommend? iOS for my sake, Android for other readers?

Rather worried about the pollution this week. I used to have the current scratchy feeling at the back of my throat all the time when I lived in Tainan, but itā€™s been a rarity since I moved to Danshui.

There are lots of apps doing the same thing I just search for air pollution china taiwan asia etc, the one I downloaded is free , I think itā€™s just called pm2.5 but there are other options.

Just a note: the numbers you see on aqicn.orgā€™s map are NOT the actual amount of pollutants in the air (measured in Ī¼g/m^3), but rather a separate EPA quality scale. See this blog post for more info.

[quote=ā€œheadhonchoIIā€]Looks like the apocalypse has rolled into Taichung over the last few hours with an acrid smell in the air. This IS probably the Chinese brown cloud alright.
Times like this remind me why I have no motivation to move to China.

taqm.epa.gov.tw/pm25/en/PM25A.aspx?area=4

Weā€™ve got reading of PM2.5 up to a high of 175 in Shalu now. Thatā€™s almost 5 times the EPA limit of 35 although many scientists say that is still too high.

Great.

Meanwhile the main map has classed the situation as ā€˜moderateā€™ according to PSI.
taqm.epa.gov.tw/taqm/en/AirForecastMap.aspx

Some bullshit Taiwan.[/quote]

I checked the EPA site warning yesterday. It said in Chinese that regional weather conditions meant that that the bad air couldnā€™t disperse. It didnā€™t mention anything about pollution from China.

I think they meant it was caused by inversion and high humidity, so it was probably home grown pollution that got trapped on the ground for a few hours.

Woo hoo! 159, Unhealthy, in Danshui right now! (Although I believe that link will reflect the most recent data, rather than what Iā€™m seeing right now.)

For sunlight and temperature, the past few days have been fantastic - and then you realize things are nowhere near as clear as they should be. These past couple of weeks have seemed especially bad.

A cool breeze blew in this evening and brought some nasty air with it. Sitting at almost 200 PM2.5 right now at Guting: aqicn.org/?city=Taiwan/Gutin
We were at 13 yesterday.

Thanks, China! :unamused: Get those air purifiers running.

Yea. I was riding back from work this evening and was wondering about the haze. At first it looked like a fog. Then I felt the grit in my mouth as I was riding home. WTF is this. Iā€™ve never seen this before. A dust or smog storm from China?

Yeah particularly bad.

Maybe. Really high pollution on the east coast of China right now. Took the HSR yesterday and the visibility in the countryside is very low because everyoneā€™s burning stuff in the fields. White smog and bonfire smell in the air.

Do do they still burn off the rice stalks in china this time of year, even with all the smog from everything else?

Incredible.

They also do this in Taiwan , and it does get hazy, but usually earlier in the year.

Yesterday I saw that fogā€¦ and well, I just thought it was normal fog. do we have any evidence of a pollution peak yesterday?