All Dog Talk and Action, Little Human Talk and Action

I love dogs and also cats :slight_smile:

I love human beings.

Wish all the money and motivation and people spending time on dogs would take every single New Taiwan Dollar and every single moment spent on dogs and spend it on children that need help until no child or human being in Taiwan needs help. Then spend time on dogs.

Take time and emotion and contribute it to people that need help.

Spending time and money and dogs is easy. Spend some time with a child that had no father or mother or hope for the future. Not so easy.

It’s like dog saving people are so selfish. Oh I sacrifice to help some dogs and it makes me feel good to help some animals. It doesn’t compare to sacrificing to help a child. That is a real sacrifice. It really hurts. And not dog loving hurt. Human being hurt.

I found a stray starving dog today that needed to see a doctor. I feel so sad and I helped the dog. Then we held a fundraiser and made a cute video for people to watch because we care about dogs.

What about the child up the street or the child in the home that has no family or mother or father or future?

Convinced the Taiwan government to stop euthanasia of dogs? How about doing something real for real people that need help?

I don’t think the dogs and cats are in competition with needy people though.

The problem here is that it’s a lot easier to help a dog than to help a human. Dogs are dumb, and they’ll accept ‘help’ for what it is, even if it involves lopping their bollocks off, and love you forever. Humans, in the main, are curmudgeonly bastards who hate being helped if it doesn’t accord with what their view of ‘help’ is. You’d be surprised how pissed off they get if you lop their bollocks off. Seriously, you’ll just never hear the end of it.

That kid up the street who doesn’t have parents - well, that’s sad, but OTOH he more than likely has grandparents or aunts or uncles who do their best to make up for what he’s lost. I feel more sorry for the kids who have vile, abusive parents … which you can do absolutely nothing about.

I’m also not too taken with the idea of ‘sacrifice’. I’ve come across a lot of poor people who are poor of their own volition and drag their children down into their own private hell, and who think other people (their adult kids, say) should ‘sacrifice’ in order to help them. The fact is, they’re just lazy, narcissistic cnuts who are leeching off of other people’s generosity.

So … yeah, humans are complicated. Some people you can help and they’ll say thank you and remember what you did. Some people will take what you give them, then curse you behind your back and ask for more to your face. Some people are just beyond help. Doesn’t mean you shouldn’t get out there and help people where possible, but, honestly, dogs are a lot less hard work. And as liam_og says, the two things are not mutually exclusive.

3 Likes

I am curious as to how much money is spent on dogs and cats in Taiwan (food, medicine, grooming, clothes, strollers, etc)…well, for that matter around the world. I have no doubt that the money spent on dog/cat food surpasses what is needed by the less fortunate around the world. And the depletion of fish in our oceans is also partially due to the huge amounts used for cat food.

Have seen many people who are so engrossed in helping dogs and cats…but have not seen them spend any time helping people. Perhaps as someone mentioned is just easier to help animals. Maybe if the same people participated in some charity activities for people they would start enjoying the feeling of helping others.

Around where I live in the countryside in Taiwan cats and dogs outnumber people. Our neighbor rescued 3 dogs (originally the wife wants to save 6) even though they only spend the weekend at their house where the dogs are kept. (sidenote: meaning that I spend more time listening to their barking than they do).

This thread could be copy/pasted on Wikipedia on the page regarding logical fallacies, to explain the “Appeal to worse problems”.

1 Like

i saw something on facebook the other day that might be coming from a similar line of thought. some girl put some animal abuse online for her own amusement. some people wanted her lynched, others thought its not worth getting so upset over an animal.

well personally i think those that torture animals have a screw lose and are likely would feel the same about torturing humans too. this is pretty common knowledge. so no i do not see what is wrong with having some compassion for animals, its those that don’t that i worry about.

[quote=“Flakman, post:4, topic:160716”]
Have seen many people who are so engrossed in helping dogs and cats…but have not seen them spend any time helping people.
[/quote]I remember someone, well-known around these parts for his animal work, who loaded up a van with supplies and took off into the mountains straight after a bad typhoon (Morokot perhaps?) and the subsequent landslides. Other people (me included) were sat in front of their computers in their comfy apartments, lamenting the government response and generally doing fuck-all to help, while this fella was out there delivering emergency supplies in dangerous conditions on his own time and out of his own pocket.

1 Like