All My Trials, Lawd...

I reach (mandatory?) retiral age this semester. The university has offered me the option of continuing part-time, but with a maximum of 8 hours at 670 NT and hour, plus I no longer have an office.

Since I’m already on a temporary annually renewable contract at what I understand is the basic minimum wage for a foreigner (48,000 a month), I’m reluctant to accept this since its less than half the money for 2/3 of the work, so I may just leave.

I’m unclear if this is the best they can offer based on the regulations (government and/or local) or whether they are just offering the minimum in a buyers market. I suspect the latter.

Anyone know what the normal practice is, if there is one?

As far as I can tell, they are in fact following regulations, at least concerning the hours and pay rate.

There has been over the years a backlash against retired professors (especially from public universities) taking on additional employment (at private universities) after collecting their pensions. Rationale for this backlash: it was viewed as double dipping and also blocking opportunities for new PhDs. Unfortunately the resulting changes have caught many others in the net who could hardly be characterized as fat cats.

If I were you, the key point I would investigate is what is exactly your retirement stipend is–and do you have the option of a monthly payment, or not. Your university’s personnel office should have someone who can answer this question.

Good luck sorting this out!

Guy

My retirement stipend is exactly zero. I’ve been on a temporary annually renewable contract for, IIRC, 13 years.

I am sorry to hear this.

You have indeed confirmed this with your university’s personnel office?

Guy

Not explicitly, but that is my understanding.

It’s actually a rather awkward question (for all concerned, I suppose) to ask when you already know the answer.

I urge you to formally check with them–they are used to this, it is their job. The worst situation is that you confirm what you think you already know. The best situation is that you have more options than you believed.

Guy

Did they register you for labor insurance (or the teacher’s equivalent) all those years ago? The laobao old age payment may be close to zero, but not quite zero.

Not sure. I doubt it, but that gives me something to ask. I’ve got health insurance which I’ve been told would continue as a part timer though I’d better confirm that as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK4V5vg32ho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqP3wT5lpa4