Am I competitive? What should I apply for?

I’m thinking about finding a teaching job in Taiwan, but I would like to know how competitive I would be here. Here’s my “mini-CV” of sorts

• MA in TESOL (U.S. state school)
  • I have been teaching university ESL for an American university on mainland China since 2011.
  • Teaching license (ESL, 6-12)

Obviously I could work at a buxiban or a public school, but do I have a shot at a university or an international high school? My biggest weakness is despite having a teaching license, I have never taught at the K-12 level.

Some soft strengths would be that I speak Chinese well enough that I don’t need a handler or help with every little aspect of life.

Thanks!

Maybe if you adjust your title and the first sentence of your post you might have a chance…

3 Likes

How accurate are you with sticky balls?

2 Likes

Noted. Thanks.

Your title is making my eye twitch.
“I’m I competitive?”

I think you meant “Am”

Also, it’s not “on mainland China” it’s “in mainland China”.

Considering you want to move to Taiwan, it might be wise to refer to China as just China and drop the mainland part.

2 Likes

Your mangled forumosa heading notwithstanding, you could get a job at a Uni here. My credentials are similar to yours (Masters, teaching ESL since 2007 including in Korea and the US, etc) and I teach at a Uni. You could also apply to some international schools. If you settle for a buxiban job you’re selling yourself short.

I. Just. Noticed. That.

Thanks. The linguistic gymnastics are required on this side of the straits. Whenever Taiwan pops up in conversation I always make sure I say “province” or “island” to cover myself.

I am rather embarrassed by my title. I deserve the criticism.

Where do universities advertise in Taiwan? Or is it more word of mouth?

1991 San Diego City Sticky Ball All-Star.

Not really. But would make for a good Urban Outfitters T-shirt.

Taiwan Strait.

1 Like

No big deal. We’re just teasing (at least I am).

Yes and no. It certainly doesn’t hurt to have connections. But you could also make a list of Unis and then check their websites. They usually advertise just on their sites. Or just call their English departments and ask if they’re hiring.
And they NEVER go through recruiters/headhunters. Don’t even bother with those scumbags.

Awesome. Thanks.

1 Like

Also, it’s only one strait.

And that’s the straight strait truth :rofl:

With universities you will need to apply through their language centres. These have varying titles, but are usually something along the lines of Language and Cultural Centre. I’ve seen unis advertising on Tealit, but not very often. Most of the recruiting seems to be by word of mouth. For example, Yuan Ze University are recruiting at the moment.

Be aware that the recruitment process for uni jobs can take a ridiculously long time - often up to 6 months. Also, you will struggle to get a full-time uni job in Taipei without a PhD. Outside of Taipei there should be no problem with your qualifications.

The pay isn’t great, but work-life balance is outstanding.

Just to add to what BD said…

Yeah, my Uni is in Kaohsiung. I don’t think I could snag a Uni job in Taipei. If OP wants to work in Taipei, then it’ll be very hard to find full-time work at a Uni without a PhD.
Regarding recruitment process, my interview process was in 3 stages. (1) First after they received my application, the department head gave me a Skype call and we had a chat about my qualifications and experience. Plus, a few softball questions about grammar and teaching methods. This is of course the easiest stage and they’re just trying to ensure you are who you say you are, before you’re given a formal invite. (2) Then I was asked to do a demo lesson at the Uni while the hiring committee observed my pedagogy. (3) Finally, I had to give a 10 minute PPT presentation in front of the same committee detailing my work experience, education, experience, reason for wanting to work there, etc. A few weeks of waiting between stage 2 and 3, and then about a month wait after (3) before I was informed I got the job. Not 6 months, but the process took a good 2 months I’d say. I was up against about a dozen other applicants, so needless to say these positions are competitive.

Some Unis might be hiring for the second semester right now, but most won’t be hiring until next spring (for a Fall, 2018 start).

I’m not married to working in Taipei. Thanks for the insight and the lead!

No, there’s a website in Chinese that they all post vacancies to. Or you can look on the websites of each individual university (also in Chinese).

Yes, it is quite competitive, and getting more so every year.

I didn’t know that. It doesn’t surprise me that they’d use a website in Chinese for English teaching jobs.

I wasn’t aware of that website either. What’s the link?