Amateur UCI criterium rider

Hi,

Probably it is already somewhere on this fora, however let me ask again.

As from December, Januari 2016/2017 I will take the jump to live in Taiwan for 5 years for business reasons covering Complete ASIA. In the Netherlands I am having my official UCI license and participate on several Amateur category Crits. (45Km/h average on the flat :smiley:)
The intention is to live in Tianmu /Neihu with my family (wife and 3 sons). Any idea about crits in Taipei area, what about UCI registration, training possibilities, cycling clubs etc. etc.
Ofcourse besides that, I love to just cycle around in the mountains, So Taiwan KOM is definitely something for mme to participate in :-).

Anyway, can I find a cycling club, how to get in touch. Columbus cycling club is something to think about?

Something about my self Strava: Michel Wouters
I never put all my rides on strava. Competition reasons :smiley:

Br,
Michel

[quote=ā€œrookie77ā€]Hi,

Probably it is already somewhere on this fora, however let me ask again.

As from December, Januari 2016/2017 I will take the jump to live in Taiwan for 5 years for business reasons covering Complete ASIA. In the Netherlands I am having my official UCI license and participate on several Amateur category Crits. (45Km/h average on the flat :smiley:)
The intention is to live in Tianmu /Neihu with my family (wife and 3 sons). Any idea about crits in Taipei area, what about UCI registration, training possibilities, cycling clubs etc. etc.
Ofcourse besides that, I love to just cycle around in the mountains, So Taiwan KOM is definitely something for mme to participate in :-).

Anyway, can I find a cycling club, how to get in touch. Columbus cycling club is something to think about?

Something about my self Strava: Michel Wouters
I never put all my rides on strava. Competition reasons :smiley:

Br,
Michel[/quote]

Hi Michel,

Iā€™ll try to answer your questions one by one.

Unfortunately, UCI sanctioned crits donā€™t really exist in Taiwan (or even Taipei). Thereā€™s a huge following and cycling is a growing hobby amongst the locals, but just not enough talent or cooperation from local government to close off roads. Thereā€™s the few Taiwan national teams, but you of course, need a local ID to be eligible.

There are a few sponsored teams including TutorABC and Kuota Syb. To my understanding, sponsored means the team will cover your expenses for some ā€œchallengesā€ that they participate in throughout the year and also provide a support car. To explain these ā€œchallengeā€ races, they are like sportives, if youā€™re fast enough you compete against others, if youā€™re of the slower bunch, you compete against yourself. Almost anyone can sign up, you do not need points or credentials, just a team/club name (which can actually be completely made up between you and your neighbor with a random team name of ā€œTeam Aā€ or ā€œTeam Bā€).

Do not get me wrong though, challenge races or, sportives, some can have open registrations in the thousands and some under one hundred, however, thereā€™s always competition amongst members of the lead pack. However, the smaller and short races tend to attract the faster bunch.

For cycling clubs, thereā€™s plenty. You can join me on weekend rides and I can show you the routes and etiquette, I can probably can learn a thing from you too! From the credentials you listed, you are much much quicker than I am. If riding with me doesnā€™t suit you, I can get you in contact with the right people. Just shoot me a PM, I am friends with a few guys that are in the above two clubs that I mentioned and can probably help you more than I can.

Tianmu is very nice and if your kids are attending the American school or even the European School on Yang Ming Shan, itā€™s very convenient, but you tend to get stuck in an area where maybe half the population of foreigners live in Taipei. If I had to pick, I like Neihu, however, it may depend on whatā€™s most convenient for you and your family to live. If I may make a suggestion, I would not rule out places like Dazhi or maybe even Songshan.

Hi,
Sorry that I got totally lost in this forum, however I am back again.

1. Thanks for the info. It is a shame there are no crits. Anyway, you have mountains. And a nice club suits me also. As I also need to integrate :slight_smile:

2. Surely I would like to join you in February, March when I am a bit used to Taipei. Kids go to school, business runs. etc. Slower or faster actually does not matter. Cycling is also for fun.

3. Songshan, Dazhi sounds also nice. The issue is that traveling to TES should be convenient without stuck in traffic.
    I am a bit bound to that.

Thanks for you help. If you have Strava, please follow me on that, So we can get in touch later on.

Br,
Michel

Welcome back Michel.

Yes, the forum got a facelift between your visits. Glad you found your way!

Iā€™ve PMā€™d you my Strava profile.

If thatā€™s the case, I would highly suggest finding a place in Shilin if you do not want to live in Tianmu. Youā€™re right at the bottom of the mountain for TES. If you somehow you and the wifey donā€™t have time to drive the kids, thereā€™s plenty of buses that go up (and down) the mountain to TES from Shilin.