American burns passport to stay in Taiwan as 'doomsday' approacheth

chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/nati … -burns.htm

“Kyle said he was reading the Bible in March when he received a revelation of the apocalypse, foreseeing the annihilation of the U.S. This prompted him to bring his pregnant wife and two children to the “Salvation Land” of Taiwan based on instructions from Yehovah. This was his first trip to the island, Kyle said.”

I wonder if he’s thought this through.

[quote=“Poagao”]http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national/national-news/2012/10/25/358854/American-burns.htm

“Kyle said he was reading the Bible in March when he received a revelation of the apocalypse, foreseeing the annihilation of the U.S. This prompted him to bring his pregnant wife and two children to the “Salvation Land” of Taiwan based on instructions from Yehovah. This was his first trip to the island, Kyle said.”

I wonder if he’s thought this through.[/quote]

He doesn’t need to. God told him what to do.

What’s more interesting is how tolerant the NIA is being. They know he has overstayed his visa and that he is working illegally but they are apparently prepared for him to leave on his own accord.

I bet he’d get on with this guy like a house on fire.

OTOH there is a certain bizarre logic in that. If the US does drop into a financial hole in the ground (not impossible) or if Iran starts WW3 (also not impossible), the last thing on people’s minds will be some crappy little island which has no offical existence. The only fly in the ointment is that China may well use such events as an excuse to say “See that crappy little island? That’s mine, that is”.

When I clicked on your post I thought it was going to read to an NFRP post. :astonished:

Just goes to show truth is often stranger than fiction. At least my NfRP stories are somewhat based on reality; If I’d written something like this people would have thought I wasn’t even trying.

Idiot. Need I say more?

so does that mean ticket prices on eVA from SFO to TPE is going to get higher come the middle of December??

The Mayans also predicted a Romney victory.

Kookoo… kookoo… :loco:

If he was brown, there would be a petition asking him to leave. Not because Taiwanese are racist of course. It has nothing to do with discrimination. They would be merely worried that clashes could happen because of these foreign workers, with their different skin color and different culture, going in and out of the community.

Seriously, however, it never fails to amaze me how what is obviously mental illness is passed off as cute and quirky here.

My impression from the Apple Daily coverage of this was that the police and immigration authorities were well aware that he is missing several screws. Hence gentle treatment.

Buddy needs a separate visa just for his beard.

Maybe the nutters up on Holy Mount Zion (Kaohsiung Branch) could take him in. These folks managed to claim an entire mountain from the Taiwan Government because someone had a revelation from God.

I thought they were a reggae band??

I thought it was funny at first but then I read it and really it’s kind of sad. It’s sad that this guy can’t just leave his country and burn his passport. It’s sad he can’t just run away from Amerika, from people he hates to his promised land here, where the people are humble. Although it is rationally speaking, imprudent, why are people so harsh that this guy can’t just carry on selling wheat cakes in Taomi?

Sad. Yes. I feel sorry for him, his wife and his kids. I wonder what passages he read that made him think Taiwan was the place to be.

More than 40 per cent of Americans believe Jesus Christ will return to Earth by 2050, according to a poll.

telegraph.co.uk/news/religio … icans.html

I find this hard to believe, but it seems like they run these polls and keep getting about the same numbers.

The article begins, “Americans are largely optimistic about the future,” :neutral:

I think I’m optimistic about the future, but I think we’re more likely to be hit by an asteroid.

• 41 per cent say Jesus Christ will return within the next 40 years while 46 per cent say this will definitely or probably not happen.

• 31 per cent expect the planet will be struck by an asteroid.

[quote=“zender”]Sad. Yes. I feel sorry for him, his wife and his kids. I wonder what passages he read that made him think Taiwan was the place to be.

More than 40 per cent of Americans believe Jesus Christ will return to Earth by 2050, according to a poll.

telegraph.co.uk/news/religio … icans.html

I find this hard to believe, but it seems like they run these polls and keep getting about the same numbers.

The article begins, “Americans are largely optimistic about the future,” :neutral:

I think I’m optimistic about the future, but I think we’re more likely to be hit by an asteroid.

• 41 per cent say Jesus Christ will return within the next 40 years while 46 per cent say this will definitely or probably not happen.

• 31 per cent expect the planet will be struck by an asteroid.[/quote]

17 % believe that Handsome Dick Manitoba is actually the Messiah.

I’ve heard worse theories. :idunno:

[quote=“Flicka”]If he was brown, there would be a petition asking him to leave. Not because Taiwanese are racist of course. It has nothing to do with discrimination. They would be merely worried that clashes could happen because of these foreign workers, with their different skin color and different culture, going in and out of the community.

Seriously, however, it never fails to amaze me how what is obviously mental illness is passed off as cute and quirky here.[/quote]

He comes from a rich country so he is not viewed as menacing, and I think his strong faith (albeit skewed) and the fact that Taiwan is his promised land or whatever makes him a twisted feel good story around these parts.

Well, Puli has been advertising itself as a place for foreigners to spend their twilight years.

This probably isn’t what the city leaders had in mind, though.

[quote=“cranky laowai”]Well, Puli has been advertising itself as a place for foreigners to spend their twilight years.

This probably isn’t what the city leaders had in mind, though.[/quote]

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :bravo: