Another mortgage crisis brewing?

I’ve seen sky-is-falling “next mortgage crisis is coming” predictions since the last one happened a decade ago.

‘The sky is falling’… again!

The more articles I read about financial, economic, housing, blablabla… crisis,
The more Porsches I see on the road… Not to mention Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Jaguars, etc…

1 Like

Its the same people, the Porsche owner picks up a new Ferrari and Lambo

Just like I have heard the “Chinese Economic Meltdown” is coming. What is interesting is that if people make these predictions long enough, the inevitable will happen (a correction) and they will take claim for predicting it.

1 Like

And the people who said it would never happen will look like the fools they are.

Winter is coming.

You watch too much ‘Game of Thrones’… :smirk:

1 Like

Should start in either December or June, iirc.

Do let us know if you have an actual prediction, btw. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Be smart, buy land, don’t be in debt. Has that ever in the history of man been bad advice? Others might say also arrange protection for said land cause life comes in waves… Nostradamus predicted likely inevitable things. People now do as well. We will see another financial crises. We will see change of governments. And we will see more wars. Don’t worry much about it, just plan ahead.

Being a foreigner here has a unique bonus of being able to be at least partially setup in more than one country, something I truly appreciate everyday.

One thing about being here. Most of us are teachers and or in some kind of industrial machine and can see fairly realistically how things are going. With a huge education problem and a poor government welcome for smart people and businesses, taiwan does seem slightly more fucked than most for the future. I myself am trying to plan for that as I don’t see taiwan being the rich place it used to be. The work ethic is horrendous, energy levels are almost non existent, health is trash and we are seemingly working overtime to destroy our environment further. These are perhaps bigger worries than needledick guys buying fancy cars to cheat on their wives with and causing a mortgage issue.

Take-home advice I was given and try to follow. When you have money, invest in something real. Or land and house. Something that can be sold(ie. Traded). If things ever got so bad that we risked losing said land, the majority of us expats would be on the plan back to our mother country and be SOL anyway.

Been there, done that. A thing may be real, but the market prices can still be distorted.

Buy low, sell high. And how do you know what’s low or high? By knowing the actual value. The market price is common knowledge; the actual value is not.

An exception: when you need a house - as opposed to merely wanting one- waiting for the bubble to burst isn’t an option. And that just sucks.

1 Like

Indeed. But with inflation related things I would FAR rather money in real estate than a savings account. At least speaking for a personal residence. Off the bat you save rent which is maybe not so bad in Taiwan but getting kicked out would be shitty if in a slump. And will always be worth something can something can always be done with it. For me personally I invest in land or housing, never condos and the like. Feels like a bad idea having more people control your money.

For the Canucks out there. BC credit unions are backed up 100% by the gov in case of a 2008 type thing happening again. Not that they are the most trustworthy but I would trust a government law more than a banks policy.

Where did you buy in Taiwan land wise? Isn’t there a bubble now? Yes would be nice to own some farm land…how affordable is it down south?

My observation over the years: Nobody knows what they’re talking about when it comes to real estate in Taiwan. Another mixed signal in the news:

Look for something equally negative in a month or so. But I agree that there was a soft landing after the correction of the last couple of years or so. I see a rebound, but a slow one. But I also could be talking out my ass like every other laowai that has an opinion on the matter.

Supply and demand:

Currently, Taiwan’s population sits at 23.55 million. Sometime between 2021 and 2025 the population will peak at 23.66 - 23.81 million and it will then start to decline. By 2061 it is estimated that the population could be as low as 17 million and the working-age working group will have declined by nearly 50%.

Taiwan’s population is currently stagnant, resulting in two competing forces affecting Taipei real estate: demographic decline and a flight to the center caused by economic/demographic decline elsewhere. The same dynamic can be observed in Tokyo, which is further down the road Taipei is on.

Even after Taiwan’s population begins to decline and the hinterlands begin to depopulate the better areas of Taipei will likely see continued demand, though prices will moderate or even stagnate. Once depopulation accelerates some decades from now though demand will wane considerably and, absent some now unforeseen source of demand, Taipei real estate values will wither with it.

1 Like

TAIWAN Real Estate is in a Bubble

LONDON vs TAIPEI
100 million NTD New 3 bedroom house in Westminster London near Buckingham Palace
143 million NTD 3 bedroom house in Da’an Taipei

L.A. vs TAIPEI
20 million NTD house in Los Angeles rents for 85,000 NTD a month = Market Value
20 million NTD house in Taipei rents for 30,000 NTD a month = Big Bubble

TOKYO CITY vs TAIPEI
10-12 million NTD = New 3bedroom house in Tokyo (15 mins train from Center of Tokyo)
10-12 million NTD = 3 parking spaces in Daan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGbC5j4pG9w

1 Like

so are we going to get the:“you need to import people from 3rd world/developing countries or it will be the end of your civilization!” bollocks that’s so popular nowadays in Europe?