Appalling (or not) Scenes in the Legislative Yuan

And the minimum requirment should be at least 50% Chou Dofu…

Many years ago when I last lived in Canada, one of the Vancouver TV stations I watched would intersperse fights from the Taiwan legislature in with the late night hockey highlights and fights. Very entertaining. I can’t recall which was more rowdy!

The latest

Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Chao Li-yun, center, is surrounded by scuffling legislators as she tries to chair a meeting of the legislature’s Education and Culture Committee in Taipei yesterday.

[quote]A legislative committee meeting descended into a fight yesterday as Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) and Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) lawmakers clashed over two proposed bills that would recognize Chinese diplomas and allow Chinese students to study in Taiwan.

DPP legislators occupied the podium at around 7am — more than two hours before the meeting was scheduled to begin — and took control of the microphones in a bid to paralyze the meeting of the Education and Culture Committee.

When Minister of Education Wu Ching-chi (吳清基) arrived, the lawmakers surrounded him, accusing him of trying to sell out Taiwan by opening it to Chinese students.

Physical clashes erupted as DPP lawmakers tried to prevent committee head and KMT caucus member Chao Li-yun (趙麗雲) from getting to the convener’s podium to announce the meeting’s agenda.

DPP legislators Hsueh Ling (薛凌) and Chen Ting-fei (陳亭妃) tried to stop Chao by covering Chao’s mouth, while some KMT legislators tried to shield Chao.

Wu gave the committee a short briefing on the two bills, while the conflict between the KMT and the DPP continued, with some legislators jumping onto the desks and shouting at each other.

Chao surprised many by fainting shortly after announcing that the two bills would be put to cross-party negotiations — a necessary procedure before a bill is put to a second reading.

She was rushed to National Taiwan University Hospital (NTUH). DPP Legislator Kuan Bi-ling (管碧玲) and Chen also took an ambulance to NTUH for medical checkups. The meeting was adjourned shortly afterwards.[/quote]

:laughing:

Education and culture committee. I swear, you couldn’t make this shit up. :roflmao:
And then they wonder why people hold them such utter contempt. (Actually, no, they probably don’t give a shit, the stupid, dumb, mouthbreathing hicks.)

It’s rare for government to be a source of national pride, but here it’s such an embarrassment! How can I possibly instill in my daughters a love for their country when it isn’t a country, run by a government that isn’t a government?

At least they’re not out in the private sector. Someone would be dead.

YEEEHAAAAA!!!

[quote]Legislators threw objects, splashed water and kicked one another yesterday at the legislature, with two ending up in hospital after a brawl over disagreements on how the recently signed cross-strait Economic Cooperation Framework Agreement (ECFA) should be reviewed. . .

Yesterday’s legislative session degenerated into turmoil almost from the moment it began. Lawmakers from the two sides pushed and shoved around the speaker’s dais, exchanging blows and throwing objects at each other, including garbage cans and tea cups.

At one point, DPP lawmakers Liu Chien-kuo (劉建國) and Su Chen-ching (蘇震清) broke through a phalanx of KMT lawmakers surrounding the dais in an apparent effort to get to Wang, but were quickly overwhelmed and pushed down. DPP Legislator Kuo Wen-chen (郭玟成) also attempted to get to the dais to block the session, falling off the podium during a scuffle with KMT legislators.

As this was happening, KMT Legislator Wu Yu-sheng (吳育昇), who was standing next to Wang, was hit by what appears to have been a timer, leaving the corner of his right eye bleeding.

In the meantime, another group of KMT legislators trapped DPP Legislator Huang Sue-ying (黃淑英) in one corner . . .

Shortly afterwards, Kuo was sent to Taiwan University Hospital nearby, suffering a broken rib. . . .

Wu was also taken to National Taiwan University and received eight stitches.

DPP Legislator Huang Wei-cher (黃偉哲) later admitted he threw the timer into the air. . . .

KMT Legislator Hsieh Kuo-liang (謝國樑) accused DPP legislators of scratching and biting his arm . . . [/quote]
taipeitimes.com/News/front/a … 2003477482

I’m pretty sure they actually LIKE to look upon themselves as thugs and ignorant hayseed buffoons. I mean, they MUST, surely?
It’s just a pity they fail so miserably and just come across as babyish clowns.
Fucking hayseeds in a fucking hayseed country. Hicksville in extremis.

Here in Canada, we never hear anything on the news about Taiwan, with the exception of the once a year annual fist fight which makes the 6pm news :smiley:

Real classy

Its kindergarten, but more fun !

I’m seeing 2 (two) incidents of LP in this top pic…OOOO LaLa!

What boring times we’re living in. Such a rich history of bad behavior, yet the best the current LY can come up with is a slap and a hair pull? :noway:

I still think a 'caption this" contest would be a good idea.

The insfrastructure development program will be a financial and forced abolishment disaster. I can’t stress this point strongly enough: I’m so done with this place. When I leave I’ll do everything I can to stay there and not look back.

In Ukraine, the pro-Russia folks actually take up arms and carve up Ukraine.

In Taiwan, the pro-China folks can fight DPP in the Parliament. I’d say the situation is contained. I’d say the Taiwanese Parliament has done its job. Better than having ANTIFA youth throwing molotov cocktails on the streets or burning down Japanese cars.

Also in the Euro Maidan revolution Yanukovych’s government actually fired shots and killed the other side. Whereas in Taiwan MYJ’s armed police (the Bao 1, Bao2, Bao3 etc ) merely swung the baton and used non lethal forces on the Sun Flower revolutionists.

[quote=“Gain, post:173, topic:21360”]
I’m so done with this place. When I leave. . . .[/quote]

I thought you were planning on getting your license here:

[quote=“Gain”]
. . . examinee. . . .[/quote]

Getting a license (which isn’t guaranteed in any way because the exam is not easy) doesn’t mean I want to actually use it.

1 Like

I understand that, but if you do get it, I think it can be a good thing, and it seems to me that just the process of preparing for that exam would make a person knowledgeable in a potentially useful way.

If you got it and decided to leave, I can’t imagine that it would hurt to be licensed in more than one country.

Anyway, if you doonnnnn’t liiiike it heeeeere :slight_smile: --why don’t you stick around and try to change things?

1 Like

Now this is more like it!

Water balloons, chairs, the Speaker advising the Premier to vacate the premises… When are they going to turn this into a musical? :popcorn:

2 Likes

“Is that a blackhead?”