Appliance rebates?

My apartment has old window AC units that are really expensive to use. Does the Taiwanese government or manufacturers offer rebates if I go with something energy efficient? Anyone have recommendations for a system to cool 3 or 4 rooms?

Yep, 1000 to 5000 ntds for energy efficient ACs, fridges, washing machinese, etc.

Recommendations depend on your budget: split units Hitachi or Daikon any Japanese brands if you can, Panasonic made in taiwan is affordable.

Somenone told me once window units were actually more effiient, but I think you’d better research.

Thanks Icon. I bet the stores know about this and can help. My electric bill is 12K in the summer and that is only using the AC when I’m home. In other places with modern AC units, I never paid more than 3500 and my place was much cooler.

dont know about the rebates but your electricity bill is way out of wack.
I was living in Kaohsiung in a 3 bedroom house with AC going almost half the day in the summer, the bill reached $3500 but that was with big and old window ac , definitely not energy efficient.

Now if you have a family and 3 units are all going at the same time, I can see maybe getting a bill like you got, in my apartment only one was running at a time.

it is out of whack. perhaps i need to figure out what’s using the power. my gas and water bills are normal. i really do think it is the crappy AC units. if I buy my own, then at least i can take them with me instead of just burning electricity like i will do in the summer.

Yeah, they got all kinds of rebate deals for energy-efficient appliances, I got it on my new fridge.
The sales guy will tell you all about it.
Usually once it’s delivered and set up, there’s a voucher deal you send in to the government and they buck up.

Unless you are using 3 of them at the same time and they are all set at 17 degrees or less, that billl is too high.

Check if you do not have a neighbor or two hanging from your line. Turn/unplug everything and check if the meter is still running. If it is, you’ve got a leak/leach.

Are you sure yours is a residential building and not a commercial one? We once had that problem. Sneaky landlord.

Check this before buying anything or else your investment will be moot.

Good suggestions! I’m going to do both. Make sure I don’t have a leach and upgrade to good units before summer.

You get penalized if you use more than the last years monthly total… Conversely you get a better rate if you use less than the last years monthly total.

Brianjones - I’m sure that is part of it too. Thanks.