APRC 2 year leave - should I stay or should I go now

Congrats!
Taiwan has improved so much from the days of having to show foreign exchange memos for visa extensions and whatnot.
No other country I know of that also has a tax bureau that actually helps you with your taxes when you file and tries to offer tax deductions that may be available to use.

2 Likes

Congrats! There’s no doubt that Taiwan has become infinitely friendlier for matters like this. Kudos to the folks who helped make these positive changes possible!

Guy

I remember hearing with the changes to the immigration act, that you would automatically get 5 years if you left Taiwan and you wouldn’t need to ask for it, and that setting foot in taiwan once every five years would reset it.

Am I imagining that change? I’ll have to look into it

Please let me know the answer when you do. Either way, I’ll come back in 2
years time, I miss Taiwan.

You need to get permission every two years still. I spend most of the year in Japan these days or on the road and am on my third renewal no problem.

2 Likes

Good to know!

1 Like

I don’t know if anyone has said this before, but if you have your aprc and leave for more than 6 months, you need to stop your NHI. I just got back last month and went to reinstate my NHI because my old boss said she canceled it before I left and BAM! Hit with a 15,000nt bill for back payment. I tried to negotiate and get it down to 0, but no dice. So if you are planning on leaving you need to put your NHI on hold.

2 Likes

The taichung nhi said if you left over 3 months then they could cancel it, I think you need to provide proof of your flight and perhaps proof of other private insurance coverage.
I’d try again and ask for the manager

They said it needed to be done before I left. I told them i had insurance in the states and showed them my card, but they wouldn’t budge. They gave me a book, in English, with all the rules and it says that if you plan on leaving for more than 6 months you can cancel your insurance and avoid paying back charges.

If you’re in Taipei and have time , try another office. I find their willingness to help varies from location to location. Maybe some will make the exception. I had to pay 3 months back and that reason was they said only if it was longer than 3 months and they would help me Backdate. Maybe that was Bs too

That’s awesome! I’m going to go to another office and try to speak to someone else. Thanks for the advice!!

The new rule is five years out of country on APRC before they cancel it, you don’t need to apply. Not sure what that means if you were already out, would be curious to know. I believe the new law goes into effect later this month.

I also remember reading this somewhere

In the APRC extension form there is this part in Chinese. Exactly what does it say? If you want to apply for a two year exemption, which year do you select, 2020?

報備年度:(西元) 2018年 2019年 2020年

(請勾選1年或2年,每次報備不得逾2年,亦不得跨年申請)
(Please only check one or two continuous years)

Crap, I remember being puzzled over that part as well. I can’t remember what I put, but I think you’d choose the years you’ll be away from Taiwan.

So I applied for the Extension online on 2018/04/09 and started to call them in June and July 2018 to ask whats happening. Turns out if you are a Professional (means you applied for the APRC while you were working) its an Auto 5 years extension. After 5 years you need to come back or they have the right to take it away… (or you can apply for the extension then). I dont know when they start to calculate when you official leave (since I’m constantly going in and out)… but thats a problem to worry about in 4 or 5 years time…

1 Like

Why can’t they just make it easy on people, an APRC is an APRC!

For those of you who got back to back APRC extended 2yrs leave, what were the reasons you gave TWN government? Health, family, job ?

I am wondering you can’t just leave with a very good reason, and I am afraid they will be reluctant to extend if you say certain things like better job abroad etc. Is it true or am I xiang tai duo?

You are xiang tai duo la.

1 Like