APRC Application Checklist (part 2)

[quote=“Lee Kohl”]I’m sure this has been answered in the first part of this post but I didn’t see it in my quick read through so here goes:

“…living as legal residents in Taiwan for over 183 days per year for five consecutive years…”

Does this mean you just have to be legally present in Taiwan for 183+ days per year for five+ years? It is not necessary to have had an ARC for every day of the entire 5 years?[/quote]

“Legal residence” refers to holding an ARC for 5 years consecutively or cumulatively within 10 years for those applicants with a Taiwan Area hukou spouse.
Any time spent on an ARC issued with the purpose of studying does not count.
Someone with no ARC is no resident for the purpose of applying for an APRC.

You definitely need to have had an continuous ARC (with the same resident visa) for all 5 years. If you have a break of 1 day then your clock has restarted. It is nice that they give out 6 month extensions for any reason when finishing up a contract now and these do not break your continuous ARC for APRC purposes. Of course if they had those 4+ years ago I would already have my APRC instead of having to wait another 10 months.

Ok, thanks everyone. That was my initial understanding as well. It’s just oddly worded, especially since you’re considered legally resident for tax purposes after 183+ days in the country regardless of ARC status.

Being considered resident for tax, immigration, criminal or civil law purposes is entirely different.

The last time I extended my ARC (3/2014) I was in a lot of stress due to moving and work, so I wanted to get the things done as quickly as possible and opted for the simple ARC extension instead of applying for an APRC. My wife is Taiwanese and I am on the Joining Family ARC since 4/2007 continuously (living in Taiwan since 2004).

Does it now mean that after 5 years + 2 years (application within) + 17 months I am not eligible for the APRC anymore? Does someone has experience with applications after this mysterious timeframe and/or an explanation why someone is not eligible for 5 years, then eligible for 2 years and after not eligible anymore?

Thanks for your help!

Contact your local NIA office. They can tell you immediately if you are qualified. I suspect you are.

Guy

Will do on Monday!

I double and triple checked the information, and the only thing that seems to bog me is this 2-year time limit.

Clarification needed - You have been on an extension for 18 months? Or did you renew your ARC for X number of years?

I think you are still okay. I think the 2 year requirement (applicants must apply within 2 years of eligibility) applies to applicants that no longer meet the income or 183 days/year eligibility rules. You would still qualify since they can base your eligibility on your last 5 years (assuming you meet the criteria for the last 5 years).

I did renew my ARC for 2 years (until 4/2016). I could have applied for the APRC the last time, but I was so busy with other things that I simply said to myself "well, nothing will change in the next two years (perhaps one more kid :wink:) so I just do it next time.

Can anyone link me to a CHINESE part of the NIA website that says that the tax records need to be for one year and not three?

I’m living out in the country. Everyone at the NIA office I have to go to is convinced it’s three. They called one guy in Taipei who said it’s three. So, this is Meiyou Banfa for me if I cannot convince them otherwise. I even looked into a hustle involving a rent contract in Taichung since the NIA office there assured me it was one year. However, it’s got to be the county where my ARC was issued. Anyways, my last ditch will be showing them official NIA website or finding a Taipei official who says it’s one year.

[quote=“phdinfunk”]Can anyone link me to a CHINESE part of the NIA website that says that the tax records need to be for one year and not three?

I’m living out in the country. Everyone at the NIA office I have to go to is convinced it’s three. They called one guy in Taipei who said it’s three. So, this is Meiyou Banfa for me if I cannot convince them otherwise. I even looked into a hustle involving a rent contract in Taichung since the NIA office there assured me it was one year. However, it’s got to be the county where my ARC was issued. Anyways, my last ditch will be showing them official NIA website or finding a Taipei official who says it’s one year.[/quote]
When I applied in Taoyuan, the office gave me both an English and Chinese procedure list. Here is a copy of the page with the relevant information (item #9) circled. The full size (easier to read) version is here.

I don’t know if things have changed since 2013, but according to this only the most recent one year of tax and earning statements is required. I don’t know a website link, but perhaps this can help?

This official English link shows 1 years (sic). Page 3, point 7. So all you got to do is find the Chinese equivalent page, and that should confirm it. Jia-you!

[quote]7. One original individual income tax statement & income list of the latest 1 years (valid for 1 month only)
Taoyuan National Tax Administration/ TEL: 03-3396511 /Add.-No.150, San-Yuan Rd. Taoyuan). [/quote]

http://www.immigration.gov.tw/public/Attachment/271315332283.pdf

OK, I found this requirement list, in Chinese, on the NIA website: https://www.immigration.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=1089269&ctNode=30066&mp=1. Unfortunately, the time period required for the tax records is not listed, only the 1-year period for meeting the income requirement. Why NIA, why?

I also found this list (the Chinese equivalent of Nuit’s post), which does state a 1-year tax statement requirement: https://www.immigration.gov.tw/public/Attachment/2379591648.pdf. This list, however, is dated from 2012, while the first list above is dated 2014.

Knowing how unfamiliar they tend to be with their own rules, it might be worth a shot to show them the 2012 list.

Why, Taiwan, why? :slight_smile:
Yes, try and squeeze by them with that 2012 list. Don’t mention the 2014 update, whatever you do.

Got my application in today… so now the wait… only document i had trouble with was the income piece.

We file jointly, under my wife’s name (her being taiwanese). I don’t work for a taiwanese company, so taxes are not automatically deducted by them. I mostly travel for work and get paid overseas from a 3rd location but I do file my taxes here at the end of the year, she adds it as a line item in her return under my name so the income is booked to me.

First document we got printed was the filing record it showed a total income for the both of us… this was NG, NIA would not accept as they wanted my record. This begs the question what would a non-working spouse do for example? anyway… i believe I could have gotten 102年度綜合所得稅各類所得資料清單 printed, but NIA wanted 103年.

We had the tax office print this summary/statement for me “103年度綜合所得稅各類所得資料清單”, (which is the correct document if you get it printed at the Tax office).

But when they printed mine, it showed my income as $0.00… we then had them print my wife’s copy… it correctly showed her income.

Her income plus my $0 income didn’t match the total from the previous document… we queried why mine was $0 and the two amounts totaled didn’t match… they came back with some excuse about the info has not yet been keyed in, and i would need to wait until after Jan to get 103年… err ARC expiring… they then said I should really file overseas and not in Taiwan… err Tax resident here… they then said if i earn under $1mil i really don’t need to file here… again don’t think right, and does not help with an APRC application…

Haha… After informing them that the NIA had said there document was not acceptable they helped, with assistance from the counter staff we managed to convince one of the staff with computer access in the back room to key in the missing data… then when the document was re-printed ahh… the missing income was there…

A minor hiccup, sorted.

Sounds anything but minor :slight_smile:. Well done on persevering, and kudos for getting the backroom staff involved.

Non-working spouses can’t get APRC’s (unless they work and pass the income requirement). They continue to get an ARC through their spouse.

Non-working spouses can’t get APRC’s (unless they work and pass the income requirement). They continue to get an ARC through their spouse.[/quote]

What situation are you referring to, Abacus? A non-working spouse of a foreigner or a non-working spouse of a ROC national?

Non-working spouses can’t get APRC’s (unless they work and pass the income requirement). They continue to get an ARC through their spouse.[/quote]

What situation are you referring to, Abacus? A non-working spouse of a foreigner or a non-working spouse of a ROC national?[/quote]

Can either get an APRC? I know that a non-working spouse of a foreigner can’t. Are you saying that non-working spouses of ROC nationals can get an APRC instead of a JFRV ARC with open work rights?

A foreign spouse of a ROC national is entitled to half of the assets, which is the paperwork they can present when applying for an APRC. In the same way you as a foreign spouse can claim JFRV.

A bunch of South East wives wielding woks are headed your way.