APRC Application Procedures (Official Checklist)

[quote=“dd123”]Hi,

I really hope someone can answer my question.

I will be eligible to apply for my APRC this year. The bad news is that my current ARC expires 11 days before the date I can apply due to the school applying so early for my last work permit. I really do not want to sign another contract at my current school. I am not sure I want to teach FT next year which is the main reason I even want the APRC.

Do I have any options? Can the ARC be extended for a short time (1 month) if the school agrees to give me hours? Any short-term jobs that would offer ARC (in July and August)?

Thanks![/quote]

The path to success:

1. Tell no one that you will be applying for the APRC. Keep it a secret.

2. Sign another contract with your current school for another year. Don’t mention possibly working less than fulltime or less than the full one-year contract and don’t mention applying for the APRC.

3. Apply for the APRC as soon as you’re eligible. Don’t mention the APRC to anyone.

4. Once you get your APRC, apply for the Open-Work Permit. Don’t mention the APRC or the Open-Work Permit to anyone.

Decision time:

If you wish to continue working fulltime for your current school and finish out your current contract, do so.

or

If you wish to continue working for your current school on a part-ime basis, then discuss your options with your manager. Let them know that if part-time work is not possible, then you’ll submit a letter of resignation.

or

If you don’t want to work at all, then submit a professionally written letter of resignation and give them 30 days notice.

or

You can work until the day you receive your next full month’s paycheck and then tell them that effective immediately you quit and then walk out. Afterall, then only thing they can do to you at this point is not pay you for any days you’ve already worked into the next month and withholding your pay is actually illegal and you can fight that too if you are so inclined. The APRC gives you the ability to give the finger and not give a rat’s ass!

[color=#FF0000]You might have noticed that I mentioned keeping your application for an APRC a secret. The wisdom to this excellent piece of advice could be confirmed by a new member of Forumosa who had told his intentions of the APRC to his employer. In return for being candid with his Taiwanese employer, he got screwed out of his APRC with only a month left to go in order to apply. Now, he’s got to start all over again. It might also be added that his Taiwanese employer was assisted by another foreigner in making sure the applicant wasn’t able to qualify to apply for the APRC. I suggest you ask lostaprc to confirm and tell you his side of the story.

DON’T TRUST OR TELL ANYONE ABOUT APPLYING FOR THE APRC. [/color]

Hello. This has probably been covered elsewhere in this topic, but I don’t have time to go surfing through 95 pages of replies. What do I do if I have lost my APRC? Thanks.

Go to the NIA and get another one. :unamused:

1. Take your passport.
  2. Take two new pictures.
  3. Take some money.
  4. Take a scanned copy of your APRC with you.
  5. Fill out the application for a replacement.

1. Take your passport.
  3. Take some money.
  5. Fill out the application for a replacement.[/quote]

Thanks. I know it may sound stupid. But I just found out I lost mine today. I do stupid things when I am in a bit of a panic.

Two more things:

Don’t forget your mailing address, hopefully a nice stick on mailing label, as you can have your brand new APRC sent by mail, not having to trek back to NIA for it, 26nts for the envelope please sir, sign here, that’s all, bye bye.

Oh, and I’ve replaced it twice -passport expired, new passport- and no money was involved. But maybe they’ll charge you sa losing it is extra. :smiley:

BTW, I do hope you do not have to go to the new NIA office in New Taipei City. :pray:

I’ve been told the health check-up certificate and the FBI background check (for Americans) has been removed from the list of required documents for the APRC application. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes, that’s correct – as long as you weren’t outside of Taiwan for longer than a certain period (three months?) during any calendar year of your required residency period. I recently acquired an APRC and did not have to submit health-exam results or an FBI background check.

1. Take your passport.
  3. Take some money.
  5. Fill out the application for a replacement.[/quote]

Thanks. I know it may sound stupid. But I just found out I lost mine today. I do stupid things when I am in a bit of a panic.[/quote]
Here’s another thing you can do if you lose your APRC; You can look on the floor where you dropped it :doh: :aiyo: !

Here it is in writing: https://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=80053&start=920#p1494728

Confirming the facts in the previous post, I just returned from ChongHe Office with my newly minted APRC and a much lighter wallet! But you must make sure that you qualify for both the length of time, and the time away from Taiwan. The exemptions are conditional, not absolute.

And I waited exactly four weeks for mine. So it seems to be speedier. Would suggest that you prepare as much documentation as you can, as Bonnie Chung seemed overwhelmed with applications/underwhelmed with my skimpy approach. So prepare as much as you can, even if she doesn’t use it.

Smile, and show your appreciation to whoever is tasked with this. It seems that each station only has one individual… so they are bound to BUSY right now! Oh, and read this post: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 0#p1494964 on what to prepare and HOW to prepare.

Kenneth

[b]
[color=#FF0000]EFFECTIVE APRIL 1, 2013

THE MINIMUM GROSS ANNUAL SALARY REQUIREMENT IS $457,128 PER YEAR![/color]
[/b]

Attention all APRC applicants. Taiwan’s Basic Wage has just been increased to $19,047/month effective April 1, 2013. That means that in order to apply for the APRC you need to have earned a minimum of 2X The Basic Wage for the 2012 tax year in order to apply for the APRC. So, let’s do some math.

$19,047 X 2 = $38,094/month X 12 months = [color=#FF0000]$457,128/year[/color]

So, the [color=#FF0000]minimum[/color] amount of legally reported income you need to earn in order to apply for the APRC is…[color=#FF0000]
$457,128 per year!
[/color]

Minimum monthly wage raised, effective this month

[quote=“Taipei Times on April 3, 2013”]

The minimum wage has been increased to NT$19,047, effective from the start of this month, Premier Jiang Yi-huah (江宜樺) announced yesterday, an increase of NT$267, or 1.42 percent, from the rate of NT$18,780 set in January last year.

Jiang made the announcement when asked by Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Chen Shu-hui (陳淑慧) during a legislative question-and-answer session if the economy had improved to the extent that the wage hike could be made.

According to the Council of Labor Affairs, the minimum wage level directly affects 750,000 Taiwanese and 220,000 migrant workers. [color=#FF0000](and also directly effects ALL foreginers who are applying for the APRC!)[/color]

The government in September last year gave the green light to raising the hourly basic wage from NT$103 to NT$109, effective Jan. 1 of this year, but held off on a simultaneous increase of the monthly minimum wage to NT$19,047 because of the weak economy.

Then-premier Sean Chen said the proposed increase in the monthly minimum wage would only take effect once the nation’s GDP had grown by more than 3 percent for two quarters in a row or the unemployment rate dropped below 4 percent for two consecutive months. The delay was needed to cushion the impact of higher wages on the economy, he said.

Jiang said he had approved the proposal to increase the monthly minimum wage on Monday after he confirmed with the Directorate-Generate of Budget, Accounting and Statistics (DGBAS) that first-quarter GDP growth had exceeded 3 percent.

GDP growth in the fourth quarter of last year was 3.72 percent.

The DGBAS usually announces GDP growth for the first quarter in May, Jiang said, adding that he did not want to wait until the formal announcement to approve the wage hike.

He said the early announcement would spare workers who will retire before the formal announcement the trouble of having to go through the pension claim process again to rectify their retirement pension claims.[/quote]

Hello,

I am new to the forum. I find the information here extremely helpful. I have a question regarding 5-year continuous stay requirement.

1. I have stayed in Taiwan for 3 years through a dependant ARC. My husband has a work permit and an ARC through employment.
  2. Now I am applying for a work permit and possible an ARC. My husband may leave his employer and Taiwan in a year.
  3. When I reach 5 years staying in Taiwan, am I qualified for applying for a APRC by myself? Will my first 3 years in Taiwan through a dependant ARC count towards the 5-year stay requirement by ARPC?

Anyone in a similar situation and got the APRC?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Jamie

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”][b]

THE MINIMUM ANNUAL SALARY REQUIREMENT IS $457,128 PER YEAR![/color]
[/b]

Attention all APRC applicants. Taiwan’s Basic Wage has just been increased to $19,047/month effective April 1, 2013. That means that in order to apply for the APRC you need to have earned a minimum of 2X The Basic Wage for the 2012 tax year in order to apply for the APRC. So, let’s do some math.

So, the [color=#FF0000]minimum[/color] amount of legally reported income you need to earn in order to apply for the APRC is…[color=#FF0000]
$457,128 per year!
[/color]

[/quote]

Wouldn’t the minimum wage in the 2012 tax year still be used to determine whether you earned double the wage in that year?

[quote=“Tiger Mountaineer”][quote=“Northcoast Surfer”][b]

[/b]

$457,128 per year!
[/color]

[/quote]

Wouldn’t the minimum wage in the 2012 tax year still be used to determine whether you earned double the wage in that year?[/quote]

NOPE! You might think that would be the case, but guess what? [color=#FF0000]Here is Taiwan[/color] and that’s the way it is. I now direct you to page 51 of this thread so you may read about the aweful experience of rk1951 when it happened to him. He had made the minimum required, then the Taiwan government changed The Basic Wage and then he was instantly no longer qualified. Check it out. His saga begins with the fourth post on that page.

At any rate, the difference between the previous Basic Wage of $18,780 and the new Basic Wage of $19,047 ends up being a total increase of $6,408/year for APRC applicants. That’s the difference between 457,128 and $450,720. A pittance.

Remember kiddies…I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…don’t try to cut it too close whilst cheating taxes in your final year before applying for the APRC and the income requirement will never be an issue. :no-no:

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”]
NOPE! You might think that would be the case, but guess what? [color=#FF0000]Here is Taiwan[/color] and that’s the way it is. I now direct you to page 51 of this thread so you may read about the aweful experience of rk1951 when it happened to him. He had made the minimum required, then the Taiwan government changed The Basic Wage and then he was instantly no longer qualified. Check it out. His saga begins with the fourth post on that page.

At any rate, the difference between the previous Basic Wage of $18,780 and the new Basic Wage of $19,047 ends up being a total increase of $6,408/year for APRC applicants. That’s the difference between 457,128 and $450,720. A pittance. [/quote]

That is fracked. I’ll call tomorrow to make sure but unfortunately, I’m now in the same boat as pg 51 guy. I haven’t submitted my application yet, however; so perhaps I can find a way to declare more ‘forgotten’ income statements from 2012, and then get new tax statements issued. The accountant at work is not going to like it but… :fume: I already told her to declare a healthy margin before.

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”]
Remember kiddies…I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…don’t try to cut it too close whilst cheating taxes in your final year before applying for the APRC and the income requirement will never be an issue. :no-no:[/quote]

As if it’s my choice… I think a helluva lot of people here are in the same boat. Mandatory, under-declaration thanks to cheapskate employers.

I’ve heard rumors that once you get your APRC you may be able to leave the country for an extended period of time ie. a year or more. Wondering also if I do apply do I have to stay I the country for awhile or can I leave. I ask because I’m going back home for a couple of years and would like permanent residency here. Have lived here ages and haven’t applied.

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”][quote=“Tiger Mountaineer”][quote=“Northcoast Surfer”][b]

[/b]

$457,128 per year!
[/color]

[/quote]

Wouldn’t the minimum wage in the 2012 tax year still be used to determine whether you earned double the wage in that year?[/quote]

At any rate, the difference between the previous Basic Wage of $18,780 and the new Basic Wage of $19,047 ends up being a total increase of $6,408/year for APRC applicants. That’s the difference between 457,128 and $450,720. A pittance.

Remember kiddies…I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…don’t try to cut it too close whilst cheating taxes in your final year before applying for the APRC and the income requirement will never be an issue. :no-no:[/quote]

I’m curious if this is the amount reported before deductions, etc. or after?

GROSS ANNUAL EARNINGS.

The newest press releases say you can leave Taiwan for up to 5 years on an APRC without special permission.

GROSS ANNUAL EARNINGS.[/quote] I wonder how the “bonus” is worked into that figure. Do the Taiwanese declare their Yearly Bonus for Tax ? Maybe it’s exempt?