APRC issue due to Taiwanese Parent

Hello All,

I am beginning the process of applying for an APRC as I have been using a work permit/ARC for the past 5 years in Taiwan. After calling NIA I was told that because my mother is Taiwanese (with ROC ID no.) I am not eligible for the APRC.

I currently hold a US passport and do not and have never applied for a Taiwanese passport or any documents showing me as a NWOHR. He did mention that as my mother is Taiwanese I am automatically a Taiwanese National which is why I am not eligible.

Looking at the NIA form that they hand out for APRC application procedure it does say “applicants who also have ROC citizenship are not eligible for an APRC” but as I do not have a Taiwanese passport and never applied to get a ID card I do not believe I count as a ROC Citizen.

The APRC application form also says “applicants who are the spouse or child of an ROC national must reside in Taiwan for 5 consecutive years … etc” which to me should mean even if a parent is of ROC nationality I should still be eligible for APRC granted I meet all the other requirements.

Has anyone experienced this situation or similar? I hope to gain better understanding on my situation before going in to the NIA with all my forms and papers and be rejected.

Thanks

I got my APRC a couple of years ago. My mother is also Taiwanese with dual citizenship/passports (TW/USA). Unfortunately, I am not eligible for a TW ID because before the year 2000, TW would only recognize the father’s nationality.

If you were born after 1980, you can get a Taiwan ID through your mother and by defacto ineligible for the APRC.

If you were born before 1980, you cannot get a Taiwan ID through your mother and would need to go the APRC route, as I did.

1 Like

Any clue as to what the deal with both parents being TW ID holders?

Thank you Yang Gui Zi for the insight! I was born after 1980 so I guess I would technically be ineligible for the APRC.

By that logic I am surprised that they did not request that I attain a Taiwanese passport then my Taiwan ID through my mother instead of applying with an ARC 5 years ago to work in Taiwan.

Anyway I plan to apply at the NIA anyway and see what happens. Will keep everyone updated thanks

1 Like

You’re ineligible for an APRC no matter when you were born.

There should really be a general FAQ list regarding nationality so that people finally stop equating passport with nationality. You could be the citizen of a country without ever having applied for a passport. You can even be the citizen of a country without holding any documentation issued by that country.

Also, applying for a passport is entirely different from “becoming a citizen”. The child of a Republic of China national - whether born abroad or not - automatically acquires ROC nationality at birth. It’s as simple as that for cases after 1980.

1 Like

Yes and if you were born before 1980 you are considered subhuman and not eligible for citizenship through your Mom.

Weird huh? That is just one of many reasons The ROC on Taiwan is still a 3rd world country.

I believe a general cha bu duo list exists. :laughing:

This is very interesting. What was the upshot in your situation? Were you given a TARC in Taiwan?

question though… how would they know your mom or dad is taiwan citizen if you are not registwred as taiwanese?

Because you have to show documents if you apply for an ID. They don’t just take your word for it. Unless I don’t understand you question correctly?

Edit: You mean if you apply for the APRC? If you’re eligible for an ID, why not just get that instead of the APRC?

Edit 2: Honestly, it was so long ago I don’t even remember what documents I needed. You can find it in an earlier post I did about the process. Might have needed my birth certificate.

thanks…