APRC Question

So I am hoping someone could answer this question for me. I am up for an APRC in late August and my current ARC goes until the end of July. I am thinking of working for some organizations that do not sponsor ARCs but could provide work permits. To be able to stay longer, I plan to extend my ARC while I “look for a job.”

What I want to know is, will it be possible to legally work with an ARC extension and work permit while I get to the 5 year mark and then wait for my APRC to be processed? Also, do I necessarily need to have an ARC sponsor while I apply for my APRC if I am covered by the extension period? This seems like a pretty gray area, so wondering if anyone knows with certainty if I could pull this off. Thanks.

I thought you had to be employed to apply for an APRC.

yeah, that’s what I had heard, but I’m wondering if what I am proposing to do would work, that is have a work permit, be on an extended ARC but with no official ARC sponsor.

You need to have an ARC before you can apply for an APRC, and you can’t get a work permit if you don’t have an ARC. Some of the requirements for getting a work permit include documents from your employer, I remember they even have to show some sort of incorporation thingy that qualifies them to hire foreign white collar workers. It’s not an easy process for the employer’s side.

Also, an ARC is the equivalent of a Taiwan ID. I remembered the first time I got into Taiwan on a resident visa, it was explicitly written said visa that I need to apply for ARC in the next 14 days upon arrival to Taiwan.

My suggestion is that you wait until you get the APRC before you leave your current company and try to apply for other jobs. Once you get that open work permit coupled with your APRC, you’re free to go.

Thanks for the suggestion, but that won’t be possible. I am definitely leaving my current position July 31st. So the question remains, would I be able to get a job and work permit issued if I am on an extended ARC, and then would I be able to transition to my APRC without having to get a new sponsor?

What I want to know is, will it be possible to legally work with an ARC extension and work permit while I get to the 5 year mark and then wait for my APRC to be processed?

ARC extension must be changed when you get new job. Since your job is written in your ARC.
Your new company must be qualified to sponsor a foreigner, otherwise no new ARC.
No new ARC, means no work permit.

Also, do I necessarily need to have an ARC sponsor while I apply for my APRC if I am covered by the extension period?

You need to have ARC/extension.
As long you make money above the threshold, and living at least 180 days/year in the island for the last 5 years, you are qualified.

This seems like a pretty gray area, so wondering if anyone knows with certainty if I could pull this off.

It is. Better to confirm with the APRC officer at your local office. Personal experience may vary.