ARC's, Work Permits and Visas - what do you need to know?


Another answer to someone above regarding converting a work ARC to a student ARC without leaving the country, the answer is no, not possible.

It is 2 different types of visas, so you would have to go to Hong Kong or wherever and apply with the relevant documentation.


This is what you need buddy. - (there is a button in the top right that says English version if this doesn't load it automaticly)

Its a week intensive classroom instruction (Including Demos) 30 hours & 60 Hours online assignments (easy)

My Tutor was Boris Fagon

Address of the place can be found here.

and one final link FYI

Hope this helps.



Folks I notice people still posting here so I move my question here.

I'm married Taiwanese and I'm coming next week on a 30 day no-extension Visitor Visa.

My plan is apply for a resident visa but I don't have a way to get the Criminal Record from my home country (Mexico) unless I spend the $4,000 usd on air tickets, We are coming from USA and she's been out for about 5 years so apparently she doesn't have a household Registration..

What should I do?

1st Get Health Certificate right away,

#44 ... 26&mp=T002


Thanks, I read the whole thing and apparently I can only make it if I have a 60 day visa no restrictions or a 180 day no-extension?


I have just had my ARC application semi rejected.

They want an original document (not a problem) but they want a stamp or certificate proving the course is over 16 months.

Its a 2 year collage diploma from England so its well over 16 months, I just have no idea where or how im going to get a document stating that fact.

If anyone has any experience please let know.




hello, I have been wondering about this, I have an ARC because I'm a university student... I'm in an English program course, but... what do you expect... the English communication skills of the professors are not that well at all, learning calculus in mandarin is a pain..... nosebleeds so I've decided not to continue and just take up courses in the school's Chinese Learning Center... however, they told me I have to get out of the country to get a new visa (visitors extendable visa)... hassle but understandable my question is, is there a way for me to get a new visa without the need of leaving Taiwan.? or are there agencies who can do this for me instead? or is that question totally illegal? :eh:

please pm me or just reply here... thank you so much :pray:


Hello, I'm an American living in Japan (foreigners are called gaijin in Japanese, hence my user name, and my Taiwanese wife and I plan on moving to Taiwan next year. I've been there many times with her, but we've never lived there.

I plan on teaching English and need to get the right visas, etc. Is the best thing to just apply for a spouse visa and does that allow me to work?



Yeah but is it Trinity College certified TESOL? Also how many teaching hours?



I plan on moving to Taiwan in October to be with my girlfriend. I just finished teaching in Korea for a year. I semi-have a job lined up. I'm from the United states, will I need an FBI Background check, or will my employment with the school suffice? Also, how long does the visitor visa last in Taiwan for US citizens?


Hi all,

So I'm looking to set up a company and I'm looking for anybody whose had any experience in hiring foreigners to work for them. At the moment, the CLA(Council of Labor Affairs) is saying that to register a company and then apply for a work permit as a manager the capital required in a company bank account is 500,000NTD. HOwever for a Sec A. foreign employee (i.e. a consultant) I'm looking at a requirement of 5,000,000 NTD off the bat. This seems extremely stringent. IS there any other way?


So I have a quick question:

I will be doing study abroad in Taiwan this spring semester. I will arrive in February. Will I need to have proof of return tickets to get through immigration? I was planning on visiting a friend in Korea before returning home at the end of the semester, but we don't have any dates set in stone, so I was going to wait to buy plane tickets closer to the end of the semester. I would like to know if I need to purchase return tickets before I leave for Taiwan, or if I will be able to get through immigration without them.


I suppose that it is possible for Immigration to ask to see something on your way in. I've entered Taiwan half a dozen times (on visa exempt or visitor visa) over the last five years and have never been asked for anything - I stopped bringing "proof of a return ticket" after the second or third time.


I have a question that has to do with the timing of applications around Chinese New Year.
The expiration on my current ARC falls right on Chinese New Year this year. My employer is sending my work permit application next week, but because it takes 7-10 days to process, she's concerned that we won't get a statement of approval until the day right before offices close for the holidays, on Feb. 6, which might make re-applying for the ARC a bit rushed. Is it possible to start an application for an ARC without the statement, but instead with proof that the work permit application was received and in the middle of being processed by CLA? I know it wouldn't be a complete application until I have the statement, but could that at least get things rolling before CNY starts, and keep me further away from having problems with my ARC expiring in the middle of the holiday? I remember either a friend or I did this several years back, but my employer swears that that isn't possible. Just want to know if anyone can confirm this.

Also, I know NIA keeps your old ARC when you submit your application, but I'd rather not be without my ARC for a week and a half during CNY. Is it possible at all to keep your ARC until NIA produces a new one? I just don't want to walk around with my bulging passport as my ONLY piece of ID while I'm traveling around Taiwan and risk losing it.



Does anyone know if this is still true?

"Converting visa-exempt entry to a visa after you are in Taiwan: Officially, the last time I checked, it is not possible to obtain a first visa while in Taiwan. You need to enter with some kind of visa, and then change to a resident visa after you have the necessary documentation in Taiwan. If you enter without a visa, visa-exempt, then you should need to take short trip to Hong Kong (or anywhere else with a Taiwan rep office) with all your documents, to obtain a visa. Then you can complete the process of applying for residency and ARC. In practise, as at the date of writing this, it is often possible to obtain a visa while in Taiwan, despite having entered without one."

Has anyone done this before? I'm planning to move to Taiwan in April and I have yet to find a job. As a Asian born Canadian, I think I have better chances finding a job while I am there. Hopefully my large size and deep voice will help me secure a job.....


I have to do a visa run tomorrow to Macau. The immigration official in Taipei told me to get a Visitor visa. Then I can change to an arc. Did he leave out a part about needing a resident visa? he said visitor visa but I am still confused. This has been a hassle and I don't want to take a chance. with a visitor visa I wont have to leave again to apply or pay money to change to an arc, correct?

THank you.


about overstay exit for visa-exempt entry

From this link ... 30085&mp=2 it says over 91 days you pay $10,000. My question is I think I will just pay the penalty and stay longer. But is it a hassle to apply for the overstay exit? will I run into a lot of problems? maybe they don't recommend you to do this? I might overstay for 1,2 months, or if I go pass the 91 days I will just stay as long as I want since after 91 days it's all the same for the penalty $ 10,000. What do you think any suggestions? thanks


Hi all,

I find this forum very informative. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

I work for a university in the US. We send students to overseas for 6-month long internship opportunities. Sometimes our students develop their own internships.

We have one student who has a paid internship offer from a company in Taiwan. It's for 6 months. He is a US citizen/visa-exempt up to 90 days.

1) Should he enter as a visitor then apply for a residence permit and ask his employer to apply for the ARC in TW?
2) Since he will stay in TW only for 6 months, does he really need to apply for the ARC?
3) If the internship is unpaid, can he stay there as a "visa-exempt visitor" for 90 days, then go to Hong Kong and re-enter TW and gain another 90 days of stay?

Thank you for your answers.


Hi there, I'm currently in Taoyuan on a Working Holiday visa and am looking to acquire a work permit>residents visa>ARC and have spent all day researching so I thought I might be able to answer a few of your questions.

I'm not entirely sure how I should answer this as I'm not sure if I'm correct, so instead this is what I would do (or would try). I would arrange with my employer ahead of time to apply for my work permit (you need a work permit to apply for a resident visa). I'm not sure if it's possible to apply for a resident visa from the US but I would definitely try (it's nice to have everything sorted when you land, makes it much less stressful). If he has both of them when he lands I believe he has to go to apply for ARC within 15 days of landing or obtaining resident visa.

From what I believe, if he has a visiting visa and he applies for a resident visa after he has landed in Taiwan then he doesn't need to exit to change his visitors visa to a residents visa. But if he entered on visa-exempt then he applies for a residents visa he will need to leave the country.

From what I understand an ARC is not a visa, it is merely proof of a visa. I believe that they don't put resident visas in your passport (but they will come up on the computer when your passport is processed) it's there, we just can't see it. ARC is proof of the resident visa.

Paid or unpaid, any kind of work needs to have a working visa/work permit. So he will have to get a work permit. I'm on a working holiday visa (I can stay in Taiwan for up to a year and work for any one employer for up to 90 days). A working holiday visa won't be any good for him if the internship is 6 months. (I'm not sure if a W.H. visa is just a NZ/Taiwan thing as I haven't seen anyone else mention it on here)

In addition to this forum, I have found these resources the most informative. ... iness5.jsp ... 74&mp=se05

Hope this is correct, and please correct me if I am wrong.

Q. I have a Bachelor of Design (hons) and secured employment (and currently on a working holiday visa) and am wanting to apply for a work permit and then change to a Residents visa. I have been told that I need proof of my education (I am arranging to have my degree scanned and sent to me) but am having trouble with having proof of work experience, the only work experience I have is just retail work. The job I will be going into is entry level. Will I be okay not providing anything? I will be providing my CV which has my (irrelevant to my field) work experience, will that be enough?

Also, someone mentioned earlier being nervous about his multi-media dipolma and was nervous about their education meeting minimum requirements. First off, I'm sick of people referring to arts and design degrees as not REAL degrees (I paid just as much and worked just as hard for it), but alas, I am used to that criticism. Will a Bdes (Hons) be sufficient?

Sorry for the mega long post, I'm feeling confident in my application but some reassurance would be fantastic, the job I'm in is the dream job and I'd hate to lose it over something like working visas.


I realize I might be changing the subject a little bit.

Can two schools sponsor your work visa? Here is my situation. Two schools would like to give me hours, but they can't give me at least 14 hours a week. However, I'm thinking if both schools combined can give me 14 hours a week, then will Immigration allow two schools to sponsor my work visa and get my ARC?