ARC's, Work Permits and Visas - what do you need to know?

Hi dinowilson,

I don’t have any firsthand knowledge of this policy, and I’m not sure whether teachers, or at least cram-school teachers, are considered part of the class of “white-collar workers” being referred to when this new policy is discussed, but here’s what I’ve been able to find so far:

[quote]So we’ve all heard that news that the NIA (National Immigration Agency) now provides a 6-month grace period for white collar workers finishing their contracts and seeking new jobs.[/quote] forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 7&t=133193

The poster quoted above got the extension:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 2#p1630602

But it appears that he wasn’t a teacher when he got it:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 9#p1676749

Another poster got the extension, but he wasn’t a teacher, either:

[quote]I am pretty sure that after a law change last year. The NIA will grant you a 6 month extension to you ARC once you have left you job and you old ARC runs out. I took advantage of this last year. I would take a trip to the NIA and ask them about it.

I . . . left a (non teaching) job here. . . .[/quote] forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 0#p1665260

Here are a few more links about it; they seem to say about the same thing:
chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/nati … ns-for.htm
ecct.com.tw/news_announcemen … 6&seq=1174
taiwanease.com/en/forums/nia-kee … 11460.html

Seeking more details and more certainty–especially about the language used to communicate the class of workers covered–I’ve visited the websites of the National Immigration Agency (which apparently issues the extensions), the Ministry of the Interior (which apparently made the announcement), and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (just because their name sounds like this business might have something to do with them), but so far I haven’t been able to find anything on those sites. I don’t know Chinese, though, so just because I couldn’t find it, that doesn’t mean it isn’t there.

If a teacher has gotten this particular extension, especially a cram-school teacher, it would be nice if he or she would post about it.

As a final, incidental note, apparently the government began talking about doing something along these lines about 2 1/2 years ago, but back then the extension being discussed was for 90 days (again, the term “white collar” is used):
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 7&t=115202
chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national … ovt-to.htm

Hope this helps.

Charlie Jack

Thank you for providing me with that Charlie Jack. I work in the IT industry just like that person mentioned. So basically before my ARC expires I should go to the NIA with

1 colour passport photo
The NIA’s multipurpose application form, completely filled out
The letter about why I am leaving the job
A leaving job certificate (離職證明書)
$1,000nt
Current ARC (to be converted).

And they should be able to grant me a new ARC with 6 month extension.

Yeah, I’ve done this before. Had a 26 day gap between my old job and new job. Not a big deal, basically what you have written above is correct. If you get a new job within 3 months (I believe) then you’ll still be eligible for your APRC if that’s something that interests you.

Also, I’ve heard a rumor from a few different people that they are considering lowering the amount of time for an APRC to 3 years. Can anyone substantiate this or is it simply a rumor?

[quote=“Charlie Jack”]
I don’t have any firsthand knowledge of this policy, and I’m not sure whether teachers, or at least cram-school teachers, are considered part of the class of “white-collar workers” [/quote]

In general, I think yes:

1.Who are “foreign professional workers”?

They don’t seem to use the Chinese for “white collar” at this agency, but there’s a reference to it as being equivalent to “foreign professional workers” here (last item in the “主分類” dropdown window):

wda.gov.tw/home.jsp?pageno=201111160104

I take it that the letter I need to write about why I am leaving the job would need to be in chinese right?
Also do I need to do this a couple of weeks before my contract is finished and my ARC expires or I do it after it is finished?

You can write the letter in English, I did. You should get this done before your ARC expires. It doesn’t have to be something like 2 weeks or whatever, but you’d probably want to give yourself at least that much time in case you forget something or if there are any snafus.

I will start getting everything organized once I come back from my holiday on the 6th April then I need to apply for a new passport because it will expire in nearly 6 months. Just hope it is not too much trouble for them if I give them a new passport with a new number.
Thanks for your help gavmasterflash

You’re welcome, dinowilson, and I hope you find a good job.

Hi everyone,

I’ve been reading a lot of different websites and threads and I feel the more I read the more I get confused. Really hoping you guys can help me straighten out my confusion.

I accepted a job offer In Taiwan and got all the paper works completed including the work permit and also the visa. Right now I’m at the stage of needing to apply for the ARC within 15 days. (Leaving to Taiwan on 25th of May ). Once I arrive, do I go straight to do a health check up and then go complete the ARC application ? Or do the health check up after the application? Also, do I need a criminal record report from my home country(Canada) for the ARC application ?

Thnx !

[quote=“Muggy”]Hi everyone,

I’ve been reading a lot of different websites and threads and I feel the more I read the more I get confused. Really hoping you guys can help me straighten out my confusion.

I accepted a job offer In Taiwan and got all the paper works completed including the work permit and also the visa. Right now I’m at the stage of needing to apply for the ARC within 15 days. (Leaving to Taiwan on 25th of May ). Once I arrive, do I go straight to do a health check up and then go complete the ARC application ? Or do the health check up after the application? Also, do I need a criminal record report from my home country(Canada) for the ARC application ?

Thnx ![/quote]

Are you a teacher or white collar professional? I’m assuming that you are not a teacher since I believe it is impossible to get a work permit w/o doing the health check first.

[quote=“Abacus”][quote=“Muggy”]Hi everyone,

Thnx ![/quote]

Are you a teacher or white collar professional? I’m assuming that you are not a teacher since I believe it is impossible to get a work permit w/o doing the health check first.[/quote]

Yes, I’m a white collar professional.

I’ve checked the ROC government, I believe, website but, as usual, there are gaps in what is included there.

Need yada yada documents for the ARC/work permit application I think.

But, I need a contract from e.g. the school at which I am teaching. Do I need a degree for the school to be able to give me a contract or teaching permit? There’s nothing on the gov website but I’ve been told it’s the law by an agent. I have many, many years experience but I don’t actually have that piece of paper.

Regards, appreciate any feedback on this.

[quote=“nodandsmile”]I’ve checked the ROC government, I believe, website but, as usual, there are gaps in what is included there.

Need yada yada documents for the ARC/work permit application I think.

But, I need a contract from e.g. the school at which I am teaching. Do I need a degree for the school to be able to give me a contract or teaching permit? There’s nothing on the gov website but I’ve been told it’s the law by an agent. I have many, many years experience but I don’t actually have that piece of paper.

Regards, appreciate any feedback on this.[/quote]

What kind of school, a buxiban? See article 42 here if so

laws.mol.gov.tw/eng/EngContent.asp?MsgID=42

“The foreign employees specified in the previous Paragraph, need to obtain qualification certificate for language teaching if the employees do not own bachelor degrees” seems to be interpreted as having a 2-year degree and an EFL certification of some kind (I forget the details.)

Anyone currently renewing their ARC and recently completed a health check? My health check says I passed, but for the HIV portion it says that I am exempt from examination. Is this normal now since Taiwan relaxed laws on foreign residents with HIV? I’m not worried that I’m infected; just noticed it when I was looking at my health check form before I give it to my employer, and I know in the past Taiwan has been really careful with HIV in particular.

Did some research: can someone verify these with Chinese sources? My Chinese is not good enough to do so.
focustaiwan.tw/news/asoc/201501200010.aspx
icrt.com.tw/wordpress/blog/2 … h-hivaids/
focustaiwan.tw/news/asoc/201502130020.aspx

Hey guys I have a question regarding the Termination of Contract to switch jobs. I’ve been working in Taiwan at the same Buxiban for just over 3 years. Last year I decided to complete a state approved teacher preparation program in order to receive teacher certification from the US. I completed all the necessary courses, returned to the US to take the state exams, and completed an FBI background check. My certificate was issued at the end of June so I gave my boss the required 1 month notice the first week of July (Verbal and not in writing because Im an idiot). My employeer has been supportive of my quest for certification and knew that I would be looking to make the switch this semester so I didn’t get the notice in writing. Since giving my notice I have found employment and am ready to start the process of canceling 1 work permit and applying for the next. Yesterday I went to Labor office and they gave me the Termination of Contract form for my boss to sign. Today my bossed refused to sign the form (Dated for August 3rd, 1 month after my notice) stating that she needs to “talk to her people” before signing anything and that she personally needs to go to immigration and the labor office to cancel my work permit. She keeps saying “I need to talk to immigration” but immigration has nothing to do with the work permit process, thats the CLA who I have been in touch with throughout this process. I know I can complain to the CLA but I’d like to wait a few days and see what my boss decides to do. Is she right in saying she needs to cancel the work permit in person and not myself? Is immigration even involved if I cancel one work permit and apply for a new one the next day (you have two weeks before your ARC is cancelled to my knowledge). Also In my contract it states that I may liable to pay 200,000NT in damages if I terminate the contract without notice or leave without cause. Could she be stalling in order to collect $ ? For 3 years we’ve had a good relationship (she was even my mentor teacher for the field work required for my teaching certification program) I’m probably just being paranoid but I was shocked that she wouldn’t sign the Termination form and plans on “taking care of it” for me. Any thoughts Forumosa?

You at least have to let her make calls. There is a chance that this is a process that she handles once every couple of years (leaving mid contract). Hopefully the verbal 1 month notice does not turn into a big deal and she is just calling all of the offices for procedural reasons. If she is still dragging her feet next week then ask more questions and get your new manager involved.

Yea I think you are right Abacus. We still have a week of work before the permit needs to be cancelled. I’ll let yall know how it goes.

I was talking to someone yesterday about this ‘check’. She recently did the health check and I asked her if they still check for HIV. She didn’t know (or notice), but she did remember the nurse saying, “we check for something like HIV but it isn’t HIV.”
Ridiculous!!!
I can only guess it is syphilis or another disease that can be spread through sexual activity?

But, you were exempt. Does that mean others aren’t?
I assume you are from a western country. Do the SE Asian workers get the exemption too?

HI

My kids are young (4 and 7) and we want to go to Taiwan and live for a year or two for them to attend public schools. I have a Taiwanese passport but haven’t been back to “activate” my hukou/ registration. We plan to go to Taiwan in Feb 2015 as follows. My husband and I will go back to Taiwan to activate our hukou/ registration and marriage registration therefore can live there. My kids will go using a USA passport. My questions are

1. Should I apply for a visitor’s visa in the US for my kids? Then get an ARC for them in Taiwan?
  2. Should I apply for a resident’s visa in the US for my kids? Then get an ARC for them in Taiwan?
  3. If I apply for resident’s visa in the US for them and reason is to join parents (aka me), they are not technically joining me because I haven’t registered for them to join me. Does this make sense? I was going to apply for the residents visa but when I went online, it asks for Address and Telephone number in Taiwan??? Also contacts in Taiwan. Who’s address am I putting down if I don’t have a place of my own yet or didn’t activate my hukou? Can I put any relative?
  4. If I apply for the visitor’s visa in the US then the reason is to visit Taiwan, can I change to an ARC for them to attend school?

Does any of this make sense? I am seriously confused and have been to TECO NY but it all just seem so complicated. I want to make sure I know what to do before I make a this big move without any preparations.

What’s the worst case scenario? I need to leave the US in 90 days and my kids cannot attend school?