ARC's, Work Permits and Visas - what do you need to know?

To teach English in a buxiban, you need a degree in anything and a passport from Englishlandia, wherever that is.

Although teaching english can be fun, I would rather find different work if possible. Are you saying itā€™s impossible?

On a normal ARC:
If my current contract ends July 31st, and a new employer offers me a contract starting August 1st.

Is it possible to apply for a new ARC + work permit with the new employer before my old ARC/contract/work permit expires

Basically, can I walk into my new job on August 1st with all my legal documents in order.

this is what is recommended to do to keep the continuity of your ARC.

Usually I extend my ARC and while my employer applies for my work permit I am in the safe zone. When the work permit comes they apply for my work ARC.

This is my 2nd job in Taiwan currently (2.5 years at my current employer, 2nd contract with them) and they seem to think this is the only way you can do it in between contracts.

Hi,

Iā€™m looking for information on working legally while acquiring citizenship as an NWOHR.

Assuming I stay in Taiwan for a year while having a TARC but no work permit, would I still be able to work legally for a foreign company, i.e. continuing my old job that I have before arriving in Taiwan?

This is probably similar to what ā€œdigital nomadsā€ do these days, and I wonder if this is considered legal.

Or is it normally expected that TARC holders waiting for citizenship either live from their own savings or try to obtain a work permit for a Taiwanese company?

Would there be a way to make my foreign job ā€œofficialā€ (e.g. with a work permit) in Taiwan?

I guess your company make a branch in Taiwan.

FYI

Hello!
I hope anyone could help me with my problem. The work permit submitted by my employer has been rejected. The HR personnel mentioned that it was due to my diploma. My university changed names and it couldnā€™t be found in the MOEā€™s database. Also, my medical result turned out pending due to lung problems. I had a cold during the exam but was not tagged as TB suspect.
The HR personnel was still confused as to what I should do, but she advised me to have my documents authenticated at the Taiwan Economis office in my country. Would these suffice? Also, Iā€™m a bit worried about the prior ā€˜rejectedā€™ status. Is this common in Taiwan?
Thanks for the help.

that is what requested when your school is not in their list.

1 Like

I see. Thank you for the help. I hope it would suffice.

Hi guys,

Is HIV test still compulsory for health check documents needed to teach English in a language school?
I would be extremely grateful for the answer!
Cheers,

I need to know if I need a work permit for teaching online or other online work for my 6 month stay.

if your students are taiwanese, or you work for a taiwanese company, you definitely need a work permit.

Thanks for thisā€¦ thatā€™s a relief my students are mainland Chinese. I canā€™t see a process on Boca where I can an appropriate work permit app for my type of work. Not sure one exists?

it might make things more complicated. Mainland China is not a foreign country.

Not sure what you mean by not foreign country?

taiwan has a special set of regulations on things related to mainland China.

Laws and Regulations Regarding Mainland Affairs

hi! iā€™m here on a student visa, looking for work. official regulations for student-visa work permits are that you canā€™t work more than 20 hours/wk. is this a hard and fast rule, strictly enforced? or do people usually break this and get away with it? i have all the time in the world, so not looking for tips about work/study balance, thanks

Yes

Some people break it. Some get caught. You probably donā€™t want to risk deportation.

Sorry - feel bad for asking what appears to be such an obvious question. Iā€™ve looked for the answer and canā€™t find it. Probably because the situation is constantly changing w/COVID-19.

I can phone the Embassy in a couple of hours (when they open), but I would like to know in advance what visa to ask for.

I understand landing visas are suspended for the time being. I want to land, do quarantine then find a job.

Iā€™d really appreciate any advice from people here :slightly_smiling_face: