Are most intercultural relationships in Taiwan doomed?

How long have you been living in TW for?

Not counting summer vacations from year 0.

I’ve been living here for around four years now.

Well, the cynicism is completely understandable! And yeah, that’s a deal breaker. Talk about a bait and switch! I do hope the best for you. On the bright side, there’s no way that could happen again (I know, that’s a weak bright side but my mind is fried right now and I can’t think of anything more clever).

1 Like

i saw it too and didn’t think much of it.

i read about the real people its based on afterwards, seems they missed out, the real story is much more compelling.

Well, technically it could happen again. People have even won the lottery twice. But highly, HIGHLY unlikely it would.

Maybe.

1/5 divorces so far this year is between transnational couples. But 50% of which are between PRC and ROC nationals to put that into clearer perspective.

1 Like

And another 40 % SE Asian. So if you are very different from the PRC and SE Asian spouses who account for the bulk of Taiwan’s immigrants, and transnational divorce statistics, these numbers have little relevance to your own odds.

1 Like

Interestingly, the number of marriages was down about 4% from last year. But the number of international marriages jumped up.

We’re doing our best to pick up the slack. :wink:

I would like to know more detials, like, agen differences between mainland brides and their counterparts, as well as South East brides. Aside from the communication factors, the things in common might be an issue here, even within the culture.

I wonder how much of those divorces are “green card” situations.

Also, no discounting the husband’s family treating the woman like crap in these instances.

This has to be put in perspective. I’ve seen an article written 5 or so years ago that 1/4 of Taiwanese male marriages are to a foreigner. If so, then 1/5 divorces happen between transnationals shouldn’t be surprising that is statistically significant.

4 out of 5 divorces between Taiwanese and Taiwanese is not news.

Even if 5 out of 5 divorces were between Taiwanese spouses, it still wouldn’t make the news.

If next year 1 out of 100 divorces involves a foreign spouse, it will be reported as news.

3 Likes

married 25 years. we’ve had our hard times and good. If I was my wife I would have divorced me. She’s half mainlander half Tai Ya , not ming nan ren and doesn’t speak Taiwanese so maybe culturally a bit different from a Min Nan Ren

1 Like

I’m happy I found this blog…(: I met a Taiwanese woman more then a year ago traveling abroad, from the very first moment things were strange after the first weeks I have been announced that I will not be considered for a boyfriend or marriage, I got hurt and angry because I started to fall for her, but she still wanted to stay together and I said I’ll give it a try, abusing and bad behaviour continued… happy and nightmare times followed, after two months I was trapped followed her stupidly twice around the world,and to Taiwan, I enjoyed Taiwan in many ways but had some of my shameful and sad moments in my life it really got worse in Taiwan like every body says here She tried to be nice to me but she was almost a different person, what was most hurting is that she totaly cut our friendship,and before always hided me from friends and family,advertised all the places we have been together on pictures cutting me out like 6 months never happened.altough I mostly got over it still hurts some time, I’m happy to learn it’s a bit of a syndrome, I was dating since a loving caring woman I hope my Taiwanese friend will find her peace, I think I had two meaningful relationships in my life,this one was wonderful and a nightmare in the same time.
I don’t think the cultural aspect is the defining one, but it makes it very hard, I think Taiwanese have a natural attraction to the west but westerners should be careful because if the Taiwanese don’t want to really except the other culture especially as his/her culture is the harder one then the realitionship will not work.

what type of girl was this? the stuck up kind? she sounds like it from being so arrogant from the get go.

some girls can be quite ‘practical’ in the respect that they don’t mind using guys for whatever purpose they want. money, gifts, in your case it seems to be a travel partner. is it a cultural thing? yea somewhat, guys here(stupid ones anyway) also are willing to play along. but i would say far from all taiwanese girls are like this. and these types are quite avoidable. i mean she told you from the start you were not in her serious plans so you kind of only have yourself to blame there.

I can’t really see how it’s a cultural issue based on what info is given. Seems to be more about her not really wanting a serious relationship with at least the guy.

1 Like

Plenty of intercultural relationships succeed. Many don’t. Sometimes people break up due to cultural incompatibility, but most of the time it’s for the same reasons as they break up back home (wherever that is): personality clashes, different goals, money problems, etc.

Like was previously mentioned , there are quite a few cold women out there that have no quams about using a guy.

I guess no different than back home. My issue with the culture is that some women are ‘time whores’ and will flirt with guys to get attention and a friend to chat with while leading the guy on. Many many cock teases. Even if I am up front that I like them they just play along to waste my time. Then if I push it further they ghost, but not before wasting weeks of my time.

2 Likes