Are there more rude people in Taipei these days or is it just me?

The people of Hong Kong have many admirably qualities–but “friendly” is not one of them.

But yes it’s pretty clear that the increased density of people following the mass arrivals of visitors from China did not brighten the mood there.

Guy

[quote=“ranlee, post:10, topic:88829, full:true”]Different for me when I’m on the road via scooter though. So many assholes out there, usually gf is the one calming me down.
[/quote]

As of 2017, I’ve noticed the drivers have definitely got worse in Tainan, if such a thing is even possible. Taipei isn’t too bad.

As a pedestrian in Tainan, rarely a day goes by when I don’t feel like someone is out to kill me.

Sometimes I feel like that in Taipei, but there are times when walking or cycling and people on scooters and in cars actually stop to let me cross the street. It really confuses me when they do that.

I don’t think there are more nude people in Taipei than before.

1 Like

@nenki You pretty much described “normal” Taipei when I was there about 10 years ago, so maybe you’re noticing it more now?

I cannot disagree. :stuck_out_tongue:

Guy

1 Like

I just spend 2 weeks in this shithole and got the same impression. If you ask for directions they are SUPER helpful, but any other time they are rude, snobby and racist. They don’t follow their own laws regarding pedestrians and park and museum etiquette. They drive their stupid mopeds on the sidewalks and turn into pedestrians as they’re crossing the street. I went to the National Museum and me and other White people were calmly looking at the exhibits, but locals were pushing and shoving in front of us with no regard for us like some sort of maniacs. Also started entering the subway before others exited. They also yell in museums and parks and litter. I thought these people were supposed to be respectful, but they are far from it. And they are so racist. When we offered people seats on the metro they wouldn’t take it because it was next to a White person, but they sat next to other Asians. And they wouldn’t get into elevators with us. People frequently looked at us dirty and talked shit about us in Mandarin. Our guide dumped us in the middle of the street because he was running late. One local in Keelung thought we wanted to steal his umbrella and some old lady at our hotel started yelling at us in Mandarin when we went on the restaurant balcony. And a waitress berated two Asian customers in Kaohsiung. I’ve traveled to 20 countries and Taiwanese are the rudest most racist and inpatient people I have ever met. The only friendly locals we met were from Tamsui and Kaohsiung. Taiwanese have an extreme distrust of White people. No idea why. Trust me. Don’t come to shithole Taipei. They clearly don’t want tourism here, and unless you’re Asian, they’re gonna treat you like shit. When conducting business they serve an Asian before they serve a White person or give an Asian a bigger glass. Or hotel staff will put you in the shittiest room they have. They think they are better than other races and unless you’re Asian they wont befriend you or carry on a conversation with you. There is REAL racism here. White foreigners know proper behavior better than the Taiwanese. They don’t even compare to us. These people should be ashamed of themselves.

LOL - joined today

3 Likes

I’m guessing two of the other countries were Switzerland and Disneyland.

‘white foreigners’? Who even says that?

3 Likes

hahahaha -
i use the word every single day — don’t you?

white foreigner
brown foreigner
light brown foreigner
dark brown foreigner
super white foreigner
black foreigner
dark black foreigner
light black foreigner ( not grey)
‘’’‘asian’’’
red foreigner ( only if tooo sunny)
blue foreigner ( RIP )

Taiwan can cause a little culture shock for travelers, but the whole rant seems a little overblown. And seeing racism in every little glance or gesture? Sorry, I’m not buying it. And how does the poster know they were “talking shit” about him in Mandarin. I’m not picturing someone who understands the language here.

5 Likes

white privilege yo…what happened to that? LOL

as for the traffic and walking in the streets its rude, and dangerous for sure, the other stuff is not really so bad though. definitely an over the top reaction. and most of the ‘shit talking’ is likely imagined. unless you were all overweight then it might be true. i hope taiwanese could hear about it though to see what they think. as they have an image of themselves as the worlds friendliest angels i would be very interested to see their reaction to your opinion of them.

1 Like

1 Like

He/she/it should’ve just stuck with “foreigners.”

Not to mention consistently capitalising “White”, like it’s…a thing.

1 Like

The Taiwanese…that’s what they mean when they say 外國人(or 歪果人).:sunglasses:

1 Like

White guo ren.

I see the resemblance. Don’t question my ping yin, it is 100% correct. My degree of bio-linguistics from the University of Phoenix…online, says so.

Pretty sure that was his point there, ace.

http://i.imgur.com/WQbyiOA.png