Are there more rude people in Taipei these days or is it just me?

FaKE news - Donald Trump

Fixed it for ya. :stuck_out_tongue:

Or just stayed in his White country, where everybody “knows proper behavior.” Maybe he’s from White Russia.

1 Like

I disagree. Let’s call a spade a spade. When Taiwanese people say waiguoren, they don’t mean japs or vietnamese. They mean white people.

People see colour in asia. I mean they do in the west as well but it’s considered polite not to.

I’m no English teacher cough. I thought you were supposed to capitalise things like language names, countries, and ethnicites?

The Caucasian had a rant about Taipei.
The caucasian had a rant about taipei.

Actually now I’m not sure. Maybe it’s only place names.

There are many Chinese tourists in Taipei
There are many chinese tourists in Taipei

The man could be German (german?) speaking. They capitalise nouns all the time.

I’m living and breathing proof that they don’t always mean white people when they say wai guo ren.

1 Like

Isn’t that what I said?[quote=“monkey_yuan, post:45, topic:88829”]
Let’s call a spade a spade.
[/quote]

Now that’s racist!:slight_smile:

People actually call you waiguoren? The huaqiaos I know never get called that. They only get called ABCs.

1 Like

The actual point is that “white” isn’t an ethnicity, I mean, define “white”, as in culture or customs or nationality or geographic origin.
It’s not a thing.

“German” means someone from a country called “Germany”.
White is a colour.
You don’t describe your car as “a Green 2012 Accord”, do you?
Sorry, maybe you do, but it’s wrong.

Unless you know of a country called “The Republic of Whiteny”.

As far as ć€–ćœ‹äșș meaning “white foreigner”, yes, that’s right, it generally does, as has been discussed and established in this very forum about a hundred times in the past.

I don’t believe you.
You got a Chinese (ish) face, they got a different name for you.

I guarantee, in casual references to brother @Andrew0409, brother @finley, brother @Wookiee, or brother @GooseEgg, foks aren’t calling them ć€–ćœ‹äșș.

I mean, it’s true. I take zero offense to it, but yes, they do.

My cycling buddies, when introducing me to new members, introduce by saying my name and sometimes say I’m from the states and a wai guo ren.

Hell, my family members call me wai guo ren.

That’s people who know you, bozo :roll:.
People who know brother @Dr_Milker don’t call him ć€–ćœ‹äșș either,
Almost nobody calls the whiteys ć€–ćœ‹äșș to their faces, that’s not what we’re talking about.

Actually they do, but that’s another story. Damn microagressions.

Sorry, everyone I know calls you something else. :whistle:

1 Like

Sorry, forgot to take the pills today.

I knew I forgot something.

In my defense, that wasn’t made clear, kind of

I guess so, there’s a few whiteys on the team and we reference them as wai guo ren, but we never state the obvious when introducing new members to them.

Sorry, the point here I believe is that if you, @Dr_Milker, @finley, and @GooseEgg were sitting drinking in the park, the busybody aunties, not knowing any better, would only be referring to one of you as ć€–ćœ‹äșș .

Side story, I used to have a really really good friend here, a young fellow from north Georgia. He was of African-American descent. Among many other things, his Mandarin was fuckin perfect, not just school perfect, but walking around perfect, and his Taiwanese was pretty serviceable.
Typically, we would be out enjoying a beverage or three al fresco, and not infrequently some local gumball would approach us and start jawboning on us.
And, inevitably, they’d ask him where he was from.
And he would always answer, in his most native Mando, “Pingtung”.
And they’d go, like, “Whaaaaaa???”
And he’d explain that everyone in Pingtung looked like him.

So buddy would wander off, hopefully to spend the rest of his days trying to convince his homies that Pingtung was full of native-born African-looking dudes.

5 Likes

Yes, caught that and agreed, but wait, @Dr_Milker isn’t a cow? What are you going to say next, you’re a raccoon?

He wouldn’t be the section chief to AIT commercial section would he? Last time I checked, there was one token African American guy on the island that had perfect Chinese AND Taiwanese.

Cows are foreigners. That’s why they produce less milk in Taiwan.

No, but I do get called a ABC, which is kinda annoying even though I’m born here. It’s like I’m less Taiwanese or something. I do hate that.

It seems pretty standard for locals to call people who moved to the States when they were young ABCs, even though they weren’t born there.