Are there more rude people in Taipei these days or is it just me?

Does that mean black isn’t a thing either? Someone should tell black lives matter - they’re literally protesting about an imaginary issue. We’re all human mannnnnn puff

Are you asian? They’re doing that then because it’s not immediately obvious.

When introducing my white ass they don’t really need to specify that I’m not from around here.

When Taiwanese are complaining about ‘foreigners’, do you really think they mean people like you?

Uhhhh, yeah, man, OK, whatever. Knock yourself out.

1 Like

I mean like, are peoples things? Like define people. Define a sunset man, you can’t, it doesn’t exist.

My my mind is being split wide open here.

1 Like

Wait a minute. Thirty-six responses to a rant about rude tourists in a museum in Taiwan, and not a single blame-the-mainlanders post among them? :astonished: Did I miss something?

3 Likes

That was definitely the mainlanders.

1 Like

Here’s my recent discussion on how unfriendly Taipei people.

It’s similar to people saying Taiwan food is good when it really sucks. People say Taiwan is friendly but it’s not really. All those people live in a bubble or have an agenda.

LOL what agenda do we have?

I told the hotel staff on my second day that the people in Taipei are really friendly and they laughed and said “really”? So IDK where the idea came from that they consider themselves friendly. But I would like to hear from them as well. Unbelievable that these comments are defending racists. Of course no one believes me and thinks I’m ranting. Because it’s okay to be racist against White people, but if it’s the other way around it’s considered taboo. So funny how that works. In America I dont care if someone is Black or Asian. I will sit next to them on the bus. Asia is the most racist continent. They never take any immigrants. I forgot to mention the guy on the train selling food who asked everyone accept the White people if they wanted something. That’s not racism? And on our tour the guide took money from our hotel staff who booked the tour, while everyone else paid him in person. What, he thought two white people were gonna scam him? First time in my life I was treated like a second class citizen because of the color of my skin. They don’t trust White people there. But to be fair, it was only in Taipei where I experienced this mentality.

I heard big business cities like Taipei and Tokyo are all rude and not examples that other cities want to follow. People in Taipei rarely laugh or smile or have a friendly conversation with you. They are all business. Tamsui people are happy and friendly I think there is just this international etiquette rule that if someone asks you for directions you HAVE to help them. Doesn’t mean they are friendly. I’m tired of the notion that people are the same everywhere. THEY’RE NOT.

OP, you missed one.

I’m in Taipei and I just smiled and laughed at this post.

I had a friendly conversation with my manager just now about what kind of coffee she was treating us to on Wednesday.

Your generalizations are not true?! The world as we know it is endinggggggggggg

1 Like

I’m willing to bet that Realtraveler’s Mandarin is…Real good.

Most Taiwanese have so little confidence in the Engrish they had stuffed down their throats for ten years in school that they avoid speaking to non-Chinese-looking people. But I’m sure that, with his fluent Mandarin, Realtraveler spoke to the tour guide and said reassuringly and fluently, “Hey, I’ve got the money for the tour right here. How’s your day going?”

Typical fresh-off-the-boat they’re-being-racist crap. Wait’ll he gets to the “the girl in the store followed me around! She thought I was going to shoplift because I’m White!” Oh no oh no!

5 Likes

Fuckin tourists.
What are you going to do??

hey please be more specific - i am very confused now - which White people are you talking about?

White with red hair?
White with brown hair?
White with blond hair?
White with no hair?

:runaway::happyrunningaround:

LOL I remember having that exact same reaction. Though even when I thought they were being racist, I still found it funny more than anything.

(For any new people - following you around a store is considered good customer service here. They’re showing that they’re there to help you out if you need them).

I think it’s more about pushy sales people to be honest. But maybe that’s just me.

1 Like

Right, it’s the Taiwanese version of pushy salesmanship, maybe. Better than the western equivalent of pretending to be your friend (oh there I go with my ‘agenda’ again).

guangtoubairen are one of the 88 protected minorities of the Republic of China. Our struggle is real.

Usually if I’m in a restaurant and they’re following me around, it’s with a net and a baseball bat and their agenda is for me to be tomorrow’s MaPoDoFu.