Are we having connectivity problems?

Or is it just my computer? I can access and see Forumosa on my cellphone but not on the desktop. Since yesterday.

Gives me a message: General Error

Can’t find record in phpbb sessions
An sql error occurred while fetching this page.

I’ve been getting this error from some threads, but not from others:

[quote]General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Got error 124 from storage engine [1030]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.[/quote]
Currently a problem on this thread: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 2&t=155360

That’s using Safari on an iMac. Haven’t tried on my phone.

Yes, GenErrs on some threads (newer ones?) not others

Yeah I’ve been getting general error messages too.

We’re having database issues again. We’ve hopefully got a more stable solution in place now, and are looking at some other things. You’re welcome to check forumosa.org for updates in case we go down again.

You know you’re having connectivity problems when you click on “Are we having connectivity problems?” and get a blank screen. :doh:

Actually today is like normal for me (problems now and then, gone after a few minutes), whereas yesterday every time I signed in I got signed out after a few seconds.

I am sorry about the software problems we have been having lately.

I am thinking of finally moving on from phpBB. Please suggest alternative discussion platforms here. I hope we can make a decision soon and then look to make the changes in the next few weeks.

Here are some platforms that come to mind - any preference or concerns you can share would be helpful:

XenForo - xenforo.com
vBulletin - vbulletin.com
Discourse - discourse.org
VanilaForums - vanillaforums.org
Simple Machines (SMF) - www.simplemachines.org
IP.Board - invisionpower.com/forums/forum/311-ipboard

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso … m_software

So far I like Simple Machine. Discourse seems cool but its interface and organization is quite a departure from what we have now

Discourse and Vanilla look the best, but I have no idea how usable they are. It’d be nice to have more colourful skins, whatever software you choose. Grey and brown can be depressing…

Maroon, Gold, and Grey are my school colors. It has been nice that they happen to not be Green or Blue.

Some of thise software packages offer multiple themes. So we can make sure there is more choice on the new platform.

Is that gold? It reminds me of Hongshulin mudflats. This colour looks cool, but each to their own. Thanks for your hard work.

2.bp.blogspot.com/-QkSik9bX3A8/T … -theme.jpg

Just took a quick look at SMF. It doesnt seem to be mobile friendly, much less Responsive.

A friend of mine who works at Taiwan Mobile told me last week that 43% of Internet traffic in Taiwan is mobile. That is easy for me to believe – i use my phone for internet things far more than my laptop.

The new platform needs to be mobile friendly

I plan to set up a test board in Discourse or Vanilla and I was thinking about what criteria to use to evaluate them before making a final choice.

1, 2, 3. Speed, stability, and security are important
4. I hope to be able to include some kind of banner or announcement space – it is important to have apace inna convenient location that will draw attention to related Taiwan websites

Plmk what you would like to see

If we ultimately decide to change platforms, i plan to freeze posting on this phpBB board. You would still be able to login to check PMs, maybe for a year or so

For ads: github.com/team-melbourne-rgsoc … e-adplugin
For custom content: meta.discourse.org/t/adding-cus … pages/5497

site down?

The site was down but you could still post? :astonished: That’s like Erdinger’s cat. :bow:

(That bloke must have had a few tipples I reckon.)

The site was down but you could still post? :astonished: That’s like Erdinger’s cat. :bow:

(That bloke must have had a few tipples I reckon.)[/quote]

This morning, from my computer and cellphone, sometimes the site was down altogether, sometimes just some threads, sometimes it just did not let me sign in… :loco:

Site was down again last night…is there anyone actually working on this?

Yes. Presently the best we can do is address this issue when it reoccurs, which is not ideal. We’re looking at new platforms for the site, which should be a permanent solution.

Is there anything we can do to help? Send money? Good vibes? Go to the Temple of the God of Information Technology and baibai? On what server do we paste the Kuai Kuai?