Asking for a buddy (fashion designer) because I've never worked in good ol' Formosa

So it’s looking like my friend, who’s got a relevant bachelors degree, mid-20s, respectable resume for his age, moderately decent in mandarin, is getting a job offer as a fashion accessories associate designer. Apparently the company is a very reputable local brand. Dude loves NYC but wants to move to Taipei for a bit. The company really likes him. Seems like he may make the move.

So he asks me about average salary in Taipei for that position, to see how much he should ask for. And because I: a) do not work in the fashion industry, and b) have never worked in the T-Dubs, I was unable to disperse sound advice. I also have no idea the cost of living there, as well as rent prices in Taipei, where he’ll work and live.

Does one of you here know the fashion industry in Taipei well enough to share some insight on salary? He’s also doing some serious google-fu, but I’d love to pass some useful numbers along to help him out. Appreciate it.

My cousin, who’s a local, just graduated from her grad degree from overseas and is probably on the hunt in the same industry, different job title. I’ll ask her and get back to you.

If I’m not mistaken, a job like this is a white collar position and gets a minimum pay of an estimated 47,000NT/month with NHI and some other doodads. @yyy will confirm.

Nonetheless, if they want him and like him, based on my personal observations, I don’t expect him to receive anything less than 55-60,000NT/month with benefits.

The golden package would be…a two year contract with car, food, phone and rent covered. As well as a “home package” in which he gets a flight home every x months. If your buddy is married (or has kids) things like the wife and kid’s extra curricular activities can be covered as well as the kid’s school tuition at the American school, covered.

A more “common” expat package he should still expect that 55-60,000NT/month with a proportion of the above benefits. I guestimate the higher salary is because you stated that the Taiwanese company really likes him and wants him. Meaning, they may be willing to give him extra to get him here. He at least should ask for a two year contract with rent to be partially covered or completely covered on top of his salary.

As for Taipei expenses?

First up, rent. You can get a shared apartment with 2-3 others for as low as 5-8000NT/month (not including utilities). If he wants a studio that’s not a closet and in a nicer building with security and amenities, he’s looking at least 20,000NT/month (not including utilities and management fees). A one bedroom in a nice building would start at 23-24,000NT/month.

For food, if he eats out EVERY meal and is not bento boxes and/or local food every meal, he’s looking at around 600-800NT/day. If he wants to eat healthy or vegan, expect to add 500-600NT/month.

Last time I checked, NY bus and subway fares are both over twice the Taipei amount. I wouldn’t even need to tell him to factor this in. However…here’s the run down: 15NT/bus ride and it maxes out at 30NT if you go long distance. The MRT average fair is around 30NT. Taxi fares start at 80NT (or is it 75NT?).

Did I miss anything?

@ranlee I was about to pass out (it’s 1:30AM) but gonna hop back on here and say: Thanks, pardner. I’ll pass this along.

P.S. Such a weird thing, currencies. An average associate designer in NY typically would make $50,000ish + benefits… But annually.

Looking forward to @yyy’s insights.

Very cool. Wow.

Still baffles me how the US is one of the only countries in the world that doesn’t calculate salaries on a monthly basis.

Your friend should expect a cut in salary. Which is why I think he should and will have the power to negotiate a package.

The “white collar foreigner” minimum wage is $47 thousand-and-something, rounding up to $48k, unless they’ve raised it. You can be exempted from it if you’re a teacher, if you qualify for work using the points system, and of course if you have open work rights.

Iirc artists are also exempt from the $48k rule (can @Toe_Save confirm?), so then the question is whether a fashion designer is an artist or a “special and technical work” person. :ponder:

Oh, and regular benefits like a monthly travel allowance etc. count as wage/salary for legal purposes.

Ok cool. How are teachers exempt - are they paid more there?

lirc?

Good to know, gracias.

Iirc = if I recall correctly

Buxiban teachers are paid whatever the market can handle, though the Basic Wage (about $21 or $22k/m, same as 711 and so on) does apply.

But that’s not a living wage though, right? Based on @ranlee’s calculations if you want to live like a full grown adult (not some college bro), you’re looking at roughly $40K/mo just to cover basic living expenses.

21-22k is actually the average monthly wage for post graduates in Taiwan right now. It’s stupid, but true.

Nonetheless, your friend most likely does not have to worry about this number since he is being pulled over by Company XYZ. He will (and should) receive a nice package and higher pay.

So whats the word with your cousin @ranlee

She’s got an MBA from the UK and is asking for around 30-35K NTD/month, which is roughly how much you get with an overseas MBA in most companies in Taiwan. However, she’s more towards management than hands on designing, so…different professions.

Your friend should ask for no more than 55-60K with benefits on top of monthly salary.

Oh thats interesting. Dang. Your cousin’s got an mba though… My buddy’s recruited for associate designer yes, but he’s only got a bachelors.

Also, based on your calculations, 35K’s not a living wage! What’s she gonna do?

Your friend has a full year of experience behind em working in NYC. That counts for something.

35K for a local, is above average. She’d be lucky to get above 30K NTD/month as her first job! Lots of white collar desk workers are lurking around 25K NTD/month.

She will be fine since she lives at home and my aunt/uncle will take care of her. Those on the other side of the spectrum getting around 25K have it rough.