ATTN: All American Citizens! Taxes! Citizen vs. Residency based taxation, FBAR, FATCA, please read!

Hello all, sorry for my absence.

I have read all of these articles and more that have been coming out as of late.

From what I understand what is going to happen is this… When you open a new account at a bank, you will be asked to sign away your banking rights with a W9 or other document after this law is signed. Standard Charter is already asking US persons to sign it.

If you are already a customer of the bank, what is going to happen is this you either sign it or you don’t, and if you do not sign it, your account will either be closed, or as I have been told, the bank cannot force you to sign it, however, what they are going to do is put all the non-cooperative people together and submit all of us as a whole to the IRS without a name. If the IRS comes back and asks for a name, then the bank is just going to give it to them regardless if you sign the document or not. Sounds overly fair and just doesn’t it? Don’t sign, but still have your data sent to the IRS illegally… hmmmm I highly doubt they are going to close our accounts, but some banks might pull this. And as you can see from my letters to the FSC there will be nothing anyone can do to help us. I guess the IRS wants to force us to do business in cash and not pay taxes after all, God bless the IRS! NOT!

So, what we have to do is this… keep our accounts below US$50,000 and then we have no problem. That is 50,000 PER BANK folks. Not per account. So if you three accounts in Land Bank and the total is over 50,000 start moving money.

Whatever all of you are going to do you had better do it before June. This is the information I have. Best to do it this month to avoid any problems. That includes opening any new accounts and moving money around. Most expats probably don’t have 50,000 in Taiwan, but some do, so if you do, and don’t want to be harassed open accounts now and move money around.

The reality is that no one truly knows what is going to happen once Taiwan decides to sign their whole country’s sovereignty away.

CALL your senators and talk with their staff. I spoke to mine yesterday and like most of the world, they had NEVER heard about FATCA and from the guys voice on the phone he was annoyed by such things and told me this information would be passed to this superiors in Washington. Where it will go from there, no one knows. Forget about writing to them, you just get a form letter in return that says that everyone should pay for bridges and roads… Yeah right, why should I have to pay for that stuff when I am not even using it now. Welcome to the US!!

So yes flakman banks have to get customers permission, however, they can refuse to open a new account for you and perhaps not provide you such great banking service if you don’t sign it. But I will be the first to day, I’m not signing jack squat! Let’em try to close my accounts! I would advise others to politely decline their calling for you to sign anything either. These banks will be given authority to spy on you after you sign that, even without signing it they are still spying on you, but still. I’m not signing anything.

I do think that local banks are going to soon start this request for U.S. customers to sign form (to release date to IRS). This is basic step to get IRS off their back for awhile and show their willingness to due the IRS’ bidding.

Anyway, for me I will sign as I already have reported my Taiwan bank account on FBAR. Over last 25 years abroad I have opened and closed lots of accounts in various countries. If the IRS can track so much of my data then I am sure they will find lots of 10 areas where they will want to fine me.

The IRS has stated such a huge goal regarding all of us tax cheaters, that they have no choice but to use huge fines to reach their goal. I simply don’t believe that there is billions of unpaid taxes…but they can certainly collect billions in fines under their current methodology.

Some banks have already started to ask if customers are a US citizen or not, they have to disclose it, and if they are, they will be forced to sign the W9. As you can tell I am completely against it. I won’t sign anything even though I am compliant and even though I have reported those accounts on my FBAR, I see no reason for them to have any more information than they already have and I don’t want the banks collecting more information than they have to. FATCA is going to create a huge identity theft risk, but few understand this.

The IRS loves penalties more than they do the unpaid tax, they went out of their way to make sure that expats could never be completely compliant so they could collect those penalties. FBAR for example has been on and off the books since the 1970s. There was no way for everyone to know about this rule.

Huh? Local banks will ask U.S. citizens to sign a W9? I have not read about this which is disturbing to say the least. SIgning a form to confirm I am a U.S. citizen…hmmm…possibly can agree (is on my original bank application if I remember correctly). But I don’t see myself signing a form giving my Social Security number to any Taiwan entity.

I went to Standard Charter last month and they told me I had to sign a W9 in order for them to open the account for me, I told them what I thought about their policy in so many words and did not open the account. FATCA has not been signed yet, but banks have to prepare for it, but they should not be asking customers prematurely to sign W9s before the government here signs the agreement. Perhaps it’s because Standard Charter is an international bank, that their corporate office forced this agreement on every country in advance of any IGA.

And remember it is not just US citizens, it is US persons, which includes Greencard holders.

Starting in June or July banks will start asking customers if they are US persons, it will be in form of a questionnaire most likely, and those that are US persons are going to have to reveal it to the banks and then in turn perhaps sign the W9. I am not sure how local banks are going to deal with this, perhaps a W9 may not be required. I am not sure. If you open the account with a US passport, of course they know you are a US citizen, have no idea why we would need another form…

I do not agree with giving my social security number to any bank in Taiwan as well, Americans overseas are already now put at risk for identity theft because of FATCA, adding a SS number to all of this just puts in the nail in the coffin. It’s not right, but yet the FSC appears to be unaware doesn’t care about this particular issue, even though many Taiwanese may also lose their identity due to their own negligence.

If you have not seen it yet, read this: blogs.angloinfo.com/us-tax/2014/ … committee/ from Carl Levin on how to avoid FATCA.

Sorry for such a basic question, but . . .
If you’re married to a Taiwanese person, and you have kids, can you file as “Head of Household” rather than “Married Filing Separately”?

You should probably post your question to main tax thread. I do not know the answer to your question either, sorry…

JEFFG…thank you for the non-FATCA bank article. Very interesting. I think this is something worth keeping track of…

You are welcome and YES! Sorry for not posting it earlier. I figured many people may have already seen that. I just don’t know how long those banks will be free from FATCA reporting. I am sure they might see a surge in US persons opening and moving money to their banks, that is if people see that… I am not advocating to hide money and dodge taxes, but the IRS has made it a necessity now to research tax havens.

What about the post office? Will they start flagging suspected American accounts, or is that too penny-ante for the IRS to concern itself with?

The post office will be subject to FATCA regulations. Yes, under FATCA they will start flagging American accounts also.

According to this article: chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/busi … utions.htm Only the following are exempt from FATCA in Taiwan.

That is until the IRS starts demanding that Taiwan force these banks, cooperatives, fisherman’s and farmers’ associations,etc to start complying… Not sure how they will force them, but… we’ll see how this plays out.

But how will the post office even know which of its customers are Americans? Especially dual-citizen Taiwanese, but even for big-noses would be hard to flag their accounts. (I don’t think there is any notation of citizenship on them.) Are they going to distribute forms asking all their account holders if they are Americans? Or would they limit their attention to accounts over US 50,000 (or however much it was)?

When a US person used his/her US passport to open the account they will know who are the US person. Dual citizens who currently have accounts “might be” safe, however, in the future, as far as how I understand it, all banks are going to have a form that EVERYONE will need to fill out, and it will ask if you are a passport holder or greencard holder, etc, and then they will know who they need to “target and collect information from”. And of course lying to them on this form surely carries a huge penalty, probably from the IRS, maybe even from Taiwan authorities, and yeah, how can they do that?? But the IRS might try to force banks to collect these penalties in the future. This is all headed in a really bad direction.

Reminder to all, your FBARs are due by June 30!! They can now only be filed electronically!

A couple of FYIs

taxreform.gov/ - still can send your comments on tax reform.

upload.facebook.com/republicans … 18/?type=1 - RNC’s resolution on residency based taxation

Some people are beginning to wake up.

Well, with the Canadians making so much noise more people are noticing. I like the law suit filed by Canadians against the Canadian IGA. Well, that is some noise but doesn’t stop the nightmare…only the U.S. congress can stop it.

More innocent FATCA victims:
telegraph.co.uk/finance/pers … g-tax.html

Hi all, read this BS.

forbes.com/sites/robertwood/ … ip-by-422/
globalnews.ca/news/1532175/want- … d-to-2350/

Want to renounce? Will cost you US$2350 if you don’t do it before September 6, 2014! Yep, another WTF moment.

Here’s another one from today - WSJ: blogs.wsj.com/totalreturn/2014/0 … -fivefold/

Ha…I was just logging on to post that, but you beat me to it. Highway robbery…

:slight_smile: sorry. haha, I actually found out about this many days ago when it was released, but I hadn’t had time to come here to post it. and it is very much so highway robbery. Ridiculous.