ATTN: All American Citizens! Taxes! Citizen vs. Residency based taxation, FBAR, FATCA, please read!

Hi,
I did a search on ACA using the keyword “accountant” and got the PTAC americansabroad.org/about/tax-advisory-panel/ Is this the list you are referring to?

No, I should have reposted the link, the one I am referring to can be found here: acareturnpreparerdirectory.com/

Hi, This is url I need. And I imagine all expats need. A way to contact expat tax experts.

Would you guys recommend finding a tax consultant in Taiwan or in the US? I’m an American citizen and my wife is Taiwanese; I’d like to figure out how to adjust our income mix to minimize taxes both in Taiwan and back to the US.

Hi,
My marriage status is the same as yours. Last year I hired a company online to do my 2014 taxes and it cost me $350US for Fed, OK, and CA returns. This should give you something to compare.
I’m interested in a comparison with Taiwanese person since it may be cheaper but I’m not sure how to confirm their professional status with US tax laws.

I use my local accountant in the US who seems to be on the up and up with everything, in addition to my own research on what forms I am going to need. I have never been willing to pay upwards of $300 a year for a tax return, it’s insane. And even using one on that list may not avoid problems, but at least it is better than nothing at all. Do not expect CPAs in Taiwan to be any cheaper, actually they may be more expensive.

IfIneedausername, if your wife is not a US citizen she does not need to report, file or reveal her income to the IRS. However, if you have a joint bank account or other financial things where your name is on it, that all has to be filed under FBAR which is due on April 15th this year.

If you are not familiar with what forms you need I would choose one of the names on that list at least the first year, if not for all years. If my accountant retires then I will also be choosing one from that list. Unless we get lucky and and CBT becomes no more.

Note I am not an accountant, so whatever information I have provided here it is best that you confirm all details with an accountant.

For those of you who need to do it, this is a reminder that FBARs for 2015 are due by April 15 this year. Not June 30 as in the past. You have about 10 days to do it.

Just reading up, I don’t think the April 15 deadline will apply until the 2016 FBAR filed in 2017.

It seems you are right, thank you for correcting that. I read that as filing in 2016 not tax year 2016. My mistake. americansabroad.org/fbar-fi … e-changed/ The deadline for 2015 FBAR filings is still June 30, 2016. Next year, however, the deadline for filing FBARs will change to April 15, 2017, but it also appears they might be allowing an extension on these until October 15 for first time filers only who miss the deadline, but I only found one source for that. Better to file before the deadline.

A problem is the exchange rate needed to calculate the correct amount in US dollars is from the Treasury Dept website…and they do not post the previous year-end exchange rate until mid April.

I use one rate that is published on the AIT website and it is normally published earlier than April, no? So if not than you have to calculate it yourself by averaging everything together like they do. It’s one big CF as we all know.

FBAR form and form 8938 instructions state should refer to www.fms.treas.gov website for previous year year-end exchange rate…so I always use the exchange rate shown on this Treasure dept website for all tax related forms.

of coarse you will, silly? you are a US citizen!