Background checks in Taiwan

Can a employer see your arrest record even if you were innocent. And if they check my US record from Taiwan will they mind a DUI from years ago when I was young. Someone told me I might get away with it because i have a florida ID and my conviction is from another state. Anyone in HR or know these things.

If you’re talking about the FBI Criminal Background Check related to an ARC, then yes, it will get flagged. The clearance is based on fingerprints. However, depending upon when and where it happened, there’s a good chance it won’t show up. For instance, I got a DUI in 2001. My state will expunge misdemeanors from your criminal record after seven years, and thus, when I applied for my first ARC in 2008, it didn’t pop. Now, I remember somewhere in the application process there was a place where you had to list any previous criminal convictions - it might have been on my visitor’s visa. Not wanting to lie about it, I gave them my entire arrest record including the DUI.

Moreover, I was specifically told at TECO and another agent at a real U.S. Embassy in another country, that a DUI (or other petty criminal offenses) won’t keep you out of Taiwan. And…my lawyer advised me to be completely upfront about this shit to any potential employer or gov’t agency, because eventually, the truth will out.

But wait. Is your employer doing the check? Through one of those pay-for-play background check companies? That’s a whole 'nother story. If that’s the case, please provide more details.

It’s not a ARC check. It’s a Taiwan roc background check. I’m a citizen here. So it’s one of those pay background checks I suppose. I was arrested. My urine was clean. So they didn’t convict me but I can’t commit another crime or a year or they will go after me. Idk if it shows up as probation because I don’t have to go get checked or anything.

So basically they asked for my Taiwan ID and said they will do a background check. I was arrested but not convicted but they can convict me if I commit a crime within a year. I don’t know what it shows up as. I don’t Think it’s probation since I don’t have to show up monthly to get checked.

I’m confused. If it’s an R.O.C. background check, it won’t show up unless this happened in Taiwan; then it’s supposedly on your record until the probation period ends (but don’t quote me on that - it’s hearsay from someone who had a similar case).

If we’re talking the U.S. and you weren’t convicted, it most likely hasn’t been entered in your criminal record - but they have your fingerprints and those are in the system. I say most likely because in my state, probationary status is excluded. I dunno in your case. Where did this happen? What did they charge you with?

Anyway, you could do a pre-emptive background check on yourself in the U.S. for (approx.) $30-40 bucks. That way you’ll know exactly what’s out there about you. One note: If your company goes the independent route (Intellius or Instant Checkmate - $34.78 for the whole report), chances are pretty high it’s going to show up. Those cover everything from traffic offenses to social media profiles to previous addresses, E-T-C.

So, I just ran an Instant Checkmate on myself and whaddya know - that DUI from 2001 shows up, although not in detail. Just that there is one criminal record for me in California. My FBI Clearance did not pick it up.

The drug arrests is in Taiwan. I was just told it’s a only a check for records in Taiwan. Was the person on probation? I don’t think I am because I don’t have to check in for anything.

Basically the way I was explained was I’m not convicted right now but they hold the power to convict me for a year. They lose they right after a year of no other criminal activity. So I don’t have any idea if it shows up. It sounded like it doesn’t right now the way they put it. Usually you get convicted and get put on probation and it goes away after a certain time. But they did not convict me.

That sounds like it might be a suspended sentence, but I’m not sure. I read about suspended sentences all the time in the news here. I can’t offer any help for your situation, but I wish you all the best.

Which site did you use to see your record? I might have them use my social from the US to do it.