Bali vs Singapore

2 weeks in August. Haven’t been to either.
Looking for expert advice from travelers/vacationers who have been. Which is better for:

weather
site-seeing
food
culture / friendly people
amenities
snorkeling
swimming
clean beaches

:slight_smile:

Suggest Bali if you’re looking for relaxation, great beaches, friendly people and gorgeous weather. Balinese culture is also very rich.

Singapore is naturally more of a “city break” and more suitable if you’re looking for a shopping experience, nightlife, museums and shows. Singapore’s humidity needs to be contended with though, and you may run out of things to do in two weeks unless you take a trip to Malaysia, too.

OOoooh, Bali!
Bali can be a shopping extravaganza, too!
Why spend two weeks in Singapore? It’s just another city, albeit a nice one.
And what about the SARS thing in Singapore? Bali!

Given the criteria you listed, this is a remarkably easy choice: Bali. Definitely.

No Phuket :? , then Bali.

Amos, was in Thailand for CNY. Will go back same time next year!

I hear that Bali has a lot of hawkers/hustlers. Is it similar to Pattaya beach or Bangkok?

I prefer a beach that has good food and drinks nearby but, not people walking over me while I’m trying to read.

I am also looking for some great snorkelling!

You have two weeks. You can see everything of note that Singapore has to offer in approximately 20 minutes. Go to Bali.

In Singapore you can go to the WTC and buy a round trip ticket to Batam, Indonesia for about $30Sg. The boat ride is only about 40 minutes. There are many beach/golf resorts, the food is good (and cheap!) and there are many outdoor activities available. Check out:

gobatam.hypermart.net/tours.htm

batamhhh.hypermart.net/

[quote=“stevieboy”]

I hear that Bali has a lot of hawkers/hustlers. [/quote]

True. True. True. They drive you out of your everlovin mind. I had to get nasty with a couple of them.

It’s still gorgeous, and the food’s excellent, and it’s cheap. Rent a Jimney and see the entire island.

[quote=“fredericka bimmel”][quote=“stevieboy”]

I hear that Bali has a lot of hawkers/hustlers. [/quote]

True. True. True. They drive you out of your everlovin mind. I had to get nasty with a couple of them.

It’s still gorgeous, and the food’s excellent, and it’s cheap. Rent a Jimney and see the entire island.[/quote]

I hated the hawkers too, and it made me wish I had stayed in one of the nicer hotels (with private beaches that keep those shitheads out) or the Hard Rock with a huge pool complex, because the hawkers on the beach were really a pain. (Esp. when you are hungover, just want to lie on the beach.)

That being said, the food/shopping/scenery is great, and your money will go a long way in two weeks there. How poor, third-world Bali can get the Western food thing right while Taiwan fails so miserably is beyond me.

If you have two weeks save yourself the deliberation and go to both places as you have enough time. Although I’d probably spend about two days in Singapore and the rest in Bali.

Have a nice trip.

Steve,

Eslite has them. Or if you want to use my SEA LP guide, give me a call.

Why order it? I have the Insight guide which I think is better, but it’s not for sale! :sunglasses:

you could try the “lailai” bookstore too, on roosevelt road acros from the taipower building, 4th floor of one of those office buildings, sorry don’t have the addy on hand.

Eslite, Caves & FNAC all carry LP.

Nope, it’s worst: the hawkers in Bali are very persistant and agressive. In Thailand you say something like “mai you” (or mei you) and they leave you alone. In Bali they follow you, touch you and encircle you. My advise: don’t ever talk to any of them, else a swarm will surround you and there is no way out. I like Bali but I hated going to the beach because of them. In fact even in towns like Kuta there are lot’s of them - and don’t play the lottery/lucky draw, you will never win the video camera!

[quote=“Flicka”]
That being said, the food/shopping/scenery is great, and your money will go a long way in two weeks there. How poor, third-world Bali can get the Western food thing right while Taiwan fails so miserably is beyond me.[/quote]

You got that right! Like to be back at some of those restaurants now.

The hawkers were bad, esp. at certain spots–like the volcano crater–but didn’t lessen our enjoyment of the trip. We went armed with Asian stoic persistant ignoring facilities. The friendliness of the people more than made up for it. Not a beach person so I can’t say there, though I’ve heard there’s an “invisible line” on the beach they won’t cross. Hey check out this forum btw, a lot of valuable infor in the archives

http://www.balitravelforum.com/

The best selection of LP’s that i’ve seen in Taipei has been at the Hess bookshop on the corner of Hsin-Yi and Tong-hua.

My vote is for Bali. While I think that Singapore is an excellent place to visit (some of the best food in Asia), I think that two weeks there would be about a week too long. As someone mentioned earlier, you might combine a trip to Singapore with some travel in Malaysia–and you could find the beaches you are looking for along the east coast of Malaysia (and on Tioman Island and the Perhentian Islands).

Having said all of that, I would still recommend Bali for your two weeks off in August. Wherever you go, have a great time. And maybe you can post your impressions when you get back.

Regarding a Bali LP, you can probably pick up a used one in a second-hand bookstore–say in Ubud. Of course, if you want to have a Bali LP here in Taiwan to plan out your trip before you go, then this might not be much help.

Have fun. Now, I need to start planning a trip…

You can buy the LP Bali, Rough Guide Bali, Moon Guide Bali, and many others in used-book stores in Bali. I know that these books are available in Ubud–maybe in Kuta.

If you do buy an LP for Bali, be sure to check on the LP Web site for free downloadable updates.