Bank account without ARC?

I was told it is possible to get a bank account without ARC, but I was wondering at which bank? The ones I asked turned me down, so

at which bank can I get an account without having an ARC?

What kind of account do I get?
[ul]I need to be able to transfer money (also foreign currency if possible) from and to it.
I want a ATM card and a credit card, with which I’ ll be able to withdraw money from an ATM abroad (isn’t that normal?)[/ul]

Thanks for your help guys.

Land bank

save?

wait, I may have got that wrong.

I can’t remember when I opened that account. Hmmmm… did I open that with a student card or an ARC… too long ago.

Ah, Hong Kong bank. You can open an account in Hong Kong and deposit money into that account in Taiwan, or so I have been told by people in Hong Kong, but it is still a wire transfer so there are fees involved, I think.

You can’t get a credit card without a guarantor.

Gosh, I don’t sound so sure anymore do I?

Got my bank accounts (NT$ and FC) at Huanan (branch in the Ta-An MRT station) more than two years ago long before I had my ARC. All they copied was my passport. I managed to do it all by myself, and it wasn’t more hassle than any other transaction I’ve done at that bank.

However, the fact that it worked at that particular bank about two years ago probably doesn’t mean that it still has to work that way :s

HTH
Iris

International Bank of Taipei (IBT). Used only passport to open “All in One” account at Tucheng branch. It was a year ago. You get only bank card, do not expect to get a credit card unless you have a local guarantor.

OK, thanks for all the tips, I’ll check these banks out.

Luckily I have a local guarantor.

Chang Hwa, the yellow and red bank. I opened an account there without an ARC, but Taipei City only.

ICBC will as well, at least at the Tun Hua S. Rd. branch. They’ll do transfers, but the regular fees apply. Only strange thing is that you can’t use the ATM card outside of Taiwan, something you can change once you have an ARC.

Good luck,
CK

Does anyone know the charge for using your ATM card outside Taiwan? I mean the typical charge, if it’s different for different banks?

Yes, you can, at Chinatrust. :smiley: But, I think you’ll need an ARC.

I got an account w/out an ARC at Bank of Taiwan about 9 years ago.

Well, 20 years ago I could work in Taiwan without a work permit…things do change…

Seriously, does anyone know about the charge to withdraw money outside of Taiwan??

Seem to remember being charged between NT$30-40 for a withdrawal outside Taiwan. For some reason NT$32 sticks in my mind. Regardless, it was relatively cheap compared to overseas withdrawals from banks in other countries.

Good luck,
CK

My account with Union bank works well.No problems

There is no charge, at least not for foreigners holding a Taipei Bank ATM card - because as a foreigner you are not allowed to withdraw money overseas even you have a PLUS card since they do block that function.
That’s what Taipei Bank told me after I returned from an overseas trip and asked why I couldn’t get any cash. Took them an hour to figure it out. :unamused:

Depends on the bank and whether you have an ARC.

I have an account with UWCCB (now merged with Guo Tai or something?). That account was set up using an ARC, and I can withdraw money from it overseas. Even after my ARC was cancelled I can still access it.

My other account with ICBC, not set up with an ARC, does not let me withdraw money overseas. This despite the bank repeatedly assuring me that overseas withdrawals would be no problem.

So triple check whatever they tell you.

I had the same thing with my bank. Couldn’t withdraw from overseas because it was opened without an ARC. Never bothered updating my records with them once I had it, but was assured I would be able to have overseas withdrawal priviledges once I did. And so it was.

Cheers,
CK

Hmmmm…what’s the bank with the “Enrich Your Life” jingle? That bank will give you an account w/o an ARC as far as I’ve been told.

Steve, you are thinking of Cathay Bank.

Chinatrust allowed me to setup an account based just on my passport that DOES allow me to withdraw overseas. As for the charges when withdrawing overseas then there do not appear to be any, or if so, then are part of the figure deducted from the account, there is never a separate transaction for it.