Bank account without ARC?

great…chinatrust it is then…thanks you

[quote]There is no charge, at least not for foreigners holding a Taipei Bank ATM card - because as a foreigner you are not allowed to withdraw money overseas even you have a PLUS card since they do block that function.
[/quote]

I opened an account with Huanan a few months ao so that my boss could deposit my salary while I was away. I had no problem drawing on it in NZ.

Brian

But don’t you have an ARC? That is my problem…no ARC, but need bank account…aiyoo…want to check out chinatrust today. I keep you guys updated…

Went to Chinatrust today. As far as I found out, it is possible to open a bank account without ARC there, but the sent me to the Police Station to get a so called “tongyi zhenghao”.

There obviously is a new law that says every Taiwanese and foreigner needs 2 identification documents to apply for a bank account or phone number: For foreigners passport and ARC will do, but without ARC as in my case you have to go to the Police Station to get the above document. They would not take my foreign ID or drivers licence. They need a Taiwanese thing from the Police Station.

Gosh…sometimes I really hate being here. Why does everyhing have to be sooo complicated.

Tried other banks before and just called HSBC,ICBC & Chang Hwa, you do need ARC to open an account.

Try doing it in Germany, even if you have the legal right to be there.

Yeah, I called those banks above up too. I suggest you try Chinatrust as well, they were pretty nice at the Songshou Rd. Branch across the street from Warner Village…

I’ve no ARC and I’ve had bank accounts with several banks in Taiwan.
The charge for withdrawing money is England or the USA (I’ve done both),
is not too egregious. Although I forgot what they charged, you have to
remember that money changers in general are (in my opinion) rapists,
so if the Taiwan bank charges you US$1-4 for a withdrawal and gives
you a better exhange rate (better than you would get for changing cash),
then go for it. don’t worry, be happy.

Stragbasher, i never had any problems opening my accounts in germany, had more issue closing the bugger done when i left, than i did opening.

I’ve got an account with CHinatrust now, but I’m only intitled to an ATM card that I can use in Taiwan. No ATM usage abroad and no Credit Card.
I don’t really need that, since I have my Swiss bank account :wink: , but nevertheless I think it’s pretty unfair…

Chaon also got a huge tax refund without having an ARC for 2 years working here a long time back in 91/92 I think Maybe 93/94. He thought he couldnt have it. He had to go back to the USA for awhile and made me the money man.

I got his tax cheque processed, dropped the cheque in his bank account and wired him the money. He was so kind to give me the pin number lol. You don’t need an ARC to get your money back from the taxman… even if you overstay just nominate someone you trust to get it all processed. Took about 7 months to get the $$$ but it came at a good time for Chaon.

[quote]I don’t really need that, since I have my Swiss bank account , but nevertheless I think it’s pretty unfair…
[/quote]

Yeah, that;s rough, Tell them you’re not happy with it, and if they don;t change it, you’ll close your account and move banks. Huanan bank should be able to help.

Brian

Hey there,
I would like to ask the same question once again, since the last thread was discussed more than a decade ago. Does anyone know if there are banks around which will open an account for you without ARC?
Thanks

As explained in several other threads, all you should need is an ID number (統一證號) that you get from the NIA for free if you don’t have an ARC.