Banqiao

Quarters - its just the place I am staying when I first arrive and until I work out what I will actually be doing in Taiwan… No doubt I will move elsewhere when I get settled :slight_smile:

Muzha? Tell me more :slight_smile:

[quote=“pubba”]Quarters - its just the place I am staying when I first arrive and until I work out what I will actually be doing in Taiwan… No doubt I will move elsewhere when I get settled :slight_smile:

Muzha? Tell me more :slight_smile:[/quote]

Ummm, ask Muzha Man…he is around here somewhere I think. I dont want him mad at me for giving away our little secret about our corner of Taipei. :wink: Hey Muzha Man, where are ya? Should we lett Pubba in?

Great job on the website.

Top Secret club eh? Oh well… Ill just have to earn my stripes by slumming it in Banqiao for a while then :wink:

Landing somewhere comfortable, beats landing in Taipei city uncomfortable (like in a hostel or something.) Banqiao is close enough so you’ll be able to get into and out of the city without too much hassle.

Regardless of where you land, you won’t have any idea where you are anyway for the first couple months. It took about a year before everywhere I went stopped looking the same.

Note: Oh, and I’m right next to Banqiao. Drop me a PM and we can hit a 7/11 or something. :beer:

Thanks miltownkid! I was hoping we could meet up some time :slight_smile: Ill have my 360 with me so we can go gameshopping perhaps?

Im expecting to be shellshocked for the first few weeks… Any my mandarin skills are 3 year old level… so its going to be quite a ride i think!

Cant wait! :smiley:

I’ve been living in Banqiao for 3 years and I only know where the MRT is, so can I join your tour ?

A Banciao group meeting one day sounds like it might be fun. Pool ideas on good places to go and see, food stops and of course a pub tour. I’m on. Any Sunday is good for me.

Matthew - :laughing: sure - the more, the merrier as they say :wink: The people that are letting me stay with them have a lot of daytrips etc planned, so maybe you could join us if there is a spare seat available.

wix - I like the hiking info on your site - its very well written and that is definitely on my list of ‘things to do’

I was worried that there would be no where to go for a long walk, but your site has shown me otherwise - cheers :slight_smile:

A Taiwanese friend said I might like ‘peace park’? This was apparently hilarious - can anyone explain…? :idunno:

[quote=“pubba”]Matthew - :laughing: sure - the more, the merrier as they say :wink: The people that are letting me stay with them have a lot of daytrips etc planned, so maybe you could join us if there is a spare seat available.

wix - I like the hiking info on your site - its very well written and that is definitely on my list of ‘things to do’

I was worried that there would be no where to go for a long walk, but your site has shown me otherwise - cheers :slight_smile:

A Taiwanese friend said I might like ‘peace park’? This was apparently hilarious - can anyone explain…? :idunno:[/quote]

well you have to watch out in parks cuz they can be a gay cruise zone. especially older gay men. i think thats what he meant

oh… thanks Tommy :wink:

8 Days to go! :smiley:

Many of you who have lived around Tuchen/ Banciao probably know where to find all these but I made up this list of places that I would have liked to know about when I moved here about 4 years ago. Most were found by necessity or just cruising around and finding them by accident. Those of you who live around this area and can add to the list, please do so. Then let’s meet up some day soon and start locating all these on a map so all of us locals have a greater knowledge of where to find stuff when we need it and avoiding a trip into Taipei.

Chengtien Temple in Tuchen
Lin Gardens in Banciao
Sports complex and running tracks in Banciao
Where to pay your utility bills in person when you are too late to pay at 7-11: (Banciao)
Electric
Gas
Water
Cable
Telephone

Good well stocked markets in Tuchen and Banciao:
Wellcome
Carrefour
RT Mart
Yonghe Costco

Night Markets: Nanya area and Banciao Night Market

Government Offices - Banciao:
Post Office
Motor Vehicles
Tax Office
Foreign Affairs Police (FAP)

Pubs:
Cuba Pub - Tuchen
Bravo Banciao
Grand Forward - Banciao upscale lounge
0204 Banciao
Enjoy Pub - Banciao
Pub 98 (Sleazy Banciao Hostess Pub)
Day and Night Tea bar and pub - Banciao

Adult Schools:
Kojen
Global Village
Wall Street
Davids
Elite
TIME

Other Stuff
Music Stores
Shoe Repair
Blockbuster’s Video
CD shops
Indoor swimming pools
Used appliances and electronics
Reliable and cheap scooter repair
Big and Tall clothing (Men and Women)
Large size shoes
Seamstress shop - good repairs and cheap
Tailor for custom items at a great price

:notworthy: Enigma - Thankyou!

Hello,

I’m considering moving to Taiwan soon to take a job in Banciao. I don’t know much about the place, except that it is 10 minutes from Taipei on the MRT. Could anyone tell me a little something about the place? I have no idea what a suburb-type situation in Taiwan would be like. Does it have urban density, things to do (gyms, bars, etc.), parks, etc.? How much could I expect to pay for a place that isn’t a total shit-hole? Anything you guys could share would be great. Pictures too!

Cheers,
James

I lived in Banciao for a while, by Xinpu MRT. It’s am ugly, noisy and crowded shit-hole (excuse my French), pretty much like most of Taipei county, but more modern and developed than some of other cities in Taipei county. A plus is that you can get a decent sized apartment for less than Taipei city (even though prices in Banciao are on the rise), and especially if you live near the MRT it’s very convenient haha (that being the most important quality in Taiwan). Xinpu is only 10 mins from Taipei main station by MRT.

My 3 year old son is living in Banciao and will likely grow up there, and I feel sorry for the poor little boy.

Anyway, I am not sure where you are coming from, but if you will be living in Taipei County then prepared to be aesthetically underwhelmed ! You may look out of your apartment and think you’ve died and gone to hell. I kid you not.

Ugly in what way? I have traveled in China before and lived briefly in ZhengZhou–now THAT is ugliness. I’m picturing this place in Taiwan as being crowded and dense, yes, but also vibrant, with night markets and neon alleys and whatnot. Could you describe it in more detail?

James

[quote=“Jamesj20”]Ugly in what way? I have traveled in China before and lived briefly in ZhengZhou–now THAT is ugliness. I’m picturing this place in Taiwan as being crowded and dense, yes, but also vibrant, with night markets and neon alleys and whatnot. Could you describe it in more detail?

James[/quote]

Yes, there’s neon, night markets, always busy (I wouldn’t use the word vibrant) … but to me it’s ugly in every sense of the word. A dirty and polluted concrete jungle. Houses with bars on the windows. As well as the ugly way people relate towards each other, and the way they drive and carry themselves in general, which adds to the general ugliness of the place. Did I mention the word ugly yet ?

Compared to the places you have been in China though, it might seem quite nice ! As Albert Einstein said, everything is relative.

Here’s a couple of images courtesy of Google images.

http://www.taiwan-guide.org/david/images/banqiao2006.jpg
http://www.taiwan-guide.org/aa/banqiao-station-1.jpg

For some reason the second link I gave doesn’t work … sorry, anyway take my word for it, it’s not pleasant.

I know people who live in Banciao and don’t agree with pgdaddy’s opinins about the place. I have been there many times and I think he is exaggerating. There are nice places in Banciao and overall it’s not hell. But it is ultra-urban in a mundane way. There are some good parks, restaurants, pubs and cafes. Actually, you can live outside of Banciao and commute quite easily. Just keep your options open about where you live until you get here, and then take a look around and decide for yourself. My 2 cents worth.

Banqio

-less than ten minutes from taipei
-less than ten minutes from the mountains
-5 minutes from the current residence of the former president (tucheng jail), not really a perk
-closeER to the airport than most cities in Taipei
-30% cheaper rent than Taipei city
-high speed rail and regular train
-Mrt
-over 20 new modern scrapers being erected connected by pedestrian overpasses
-new massive park being developed near high speed rail
-home to miles of bike trails along the riverbank
-decent night market
-fe 21, global mall, and of course all the regulars geant, carrefour, B and Q etc…
-3 friendly pubs catering to foreigners
-le rouge pizza and pasta
-large density of schools (if you’re a teacher)
-friendly and open foreign community
-home to banciao stadium (oasis, guns n roses etc.)