Barcelona terrorist attack

Starting to wonder if this kind of event should be discussed in the “lifestyle” section of the forum.

I think we have quite a few Paella-people here, hope your friends and families are fine.

16 dead and counting :frowning:

imagehttp://www.smh.com.au/cqstatic/12z7v7/1808barcelonaTerror729px.jpg

Awful. Moreover, another plot was disabled, 4 would be terrorists carrying bomb vests sent to Hell earlier by the police.

Pal in Barcelona lives 20 minutes away. Says she and her family like to go there and Plaza Catalunya. Shock, disbelief, fear.

Deep condolences. I will still go there. We are afraid, but we shall persevere.

Talking about racial strife, some comments on social media from Spanish people who hate Catalunians are more shocking than the terrorists acts themselves. Disgusting does not begin to cover it.

Victims belonged to 18 nationalities. Yes, Chinese affected among them.

Basically there has been like 4 incidents:

1. Night from Wednesday to Thursday: an explosion took place in a house, due to some gas leaking. Now authorities say that it is probably related to the terrorist attacks
  2. Thursday evening: a van injured like 100 people and left 13 (now the dead toll raised to 15???) dead. The terrorists escaped from the vehicle, one was down, the other escaped
  3. A car didn’t stop at a police road block. The driver was shot down, but it’s not clear whether this is related or not with the terrorist attack
  4. Another crew of mofos tried num 3 in another town (Cambrils), but they were shot dead before they could injure anybody

So the author of the first attack hasn’t been caught yet. They used the ID card of another moor for renting the van, and this owner of the card already went to a police station to declare what he knows (that his brother stole his ID card, and not sure what else).

1 Like

I thought Spain had a lower risk of being attacked amongst WE countries. I guess I was wrong.

Looks like the only one left out of the list so far is Italy, at least talking about the largest EU countries. I read somewhere there were a few foiled plots here and there, but random trucks of peace are harder to prevent.

And the Netherlands. Seriously all their neighbours have been hit, multiple times.

I hope nothing’s gonna happen.

Historically Spain had a lot of issues with the Muslims, and only a stone’s throw away from several Muslim nations, also occupying a couple strategically important bases in those nations. So… yeah…

I had a lower risk, but it doesn’t mean that you’re 100% save.

The other delicate issue is internal: these kind of incidents, “coincidentally” happen when there are key elections at stake.

Last time the Madrid attacks were two weeks before national elections. Now, it is just before the October 1st referendum on Catalunya’s independence.

Moreover, Catalan police are isolated from Interpol info, just as Taiwan is.

Which makes this whole issue sting and stink.

1 Like

From last summer until now this kind of event has happened so often that statistically speaking it’s impossible to have elections far from such thing.

3 Likes

Even countries who never got involved into wars against Muslim countries can be targeted, see Sweden for instance.
Sad.
Even though the risk of being killed in such attack is very low, it is still a reason for me to live in Taiwan. Not really the risk of being killed, but more because of the general atmosphere in Europe due to these assholes.

You are trying to view the terrorists as rational players. Attacking countries and people as political acts or revenge for grievances against Muslim nations or people’s. Some sort of cause and effect at play.

They are not. They just want terror. They hate the West. Some men just want to see the world burn.

2 Likes

For some extremist groups, this modus operandi is extremely rational: get a truck of peace and/or some explosives and/or weapons, send a small group of people and kill as many “enemies” as possible. If 2 terrorists kill 12 civilians, it’s a victory, even if the terrorists get killed.

In a place with frequent elections, yes. That is not the case there.

Well in that case, I agree. Cant stand the hand-wringing and whataboutery after every terrorist attack though, as if the victims are in some way at blame.

I mean Europe as a whole. Every time there’s a terrorist attack there are people pointing out:“Oh no, it may influence the elections in country X !”, regardless of where the attack happened.

We live in an age where if you say that the real victims of a terrorist attack are the people who actually died, got injured and their friends and families, someone on the interwebz may argue with that.

What a time to be alive.

(feelsbadman)

1 Like

IIRC just a few days before.

There’s no referendum. At least not a legal one.