Beer Alert & Directory III

Also available at Jason’s, this American microbrewed Amber Ale:

If that image is too small to read, it is the label of [color=orange]LAGUNITAS Amber Ale[/color], brewed in Petaluma, California.

Wow! That’s suddenly five, count them, five American micros now available in Taiwan! I hope these are good… but seeing as I woke up this morning still drunk after an afternoon of drinking Hoegaarden, Erdinger, Guinness and Chimay Blue at Carnegies… I might have to wait until tomorrow to start trying these…

Maybe Mother Theresa knows these micros… I think they are from close to his neighborhood?

Wow I am in Shanghai today, but will stop at Breeze and Jasons this week…!

Tigger,

we need to get together and drink some beer!

Tassie in top five in world

TASMANIA continues to weave its magic on the international travel market and has been rated in the top five international tourism destinations.

The state has also made a big impression on the world’s beer connoisseurs with Cascade named as the producer of the globe’s best amber lager in this year’s World Beer Cup.

Full story at: news.com.au/common/story_pag … 62,00.html

Tigerman you’ve GOT to get one of these!!!

mil.ufl.edu/~brian/Koolio/Koolio.htm

[quote=“blueface666”]Tigerman you’ve GOT to get one of these!!!

[/quote]

My God! That could replace velcro as the most important invention of the past 100 years! :laughing:

And what’s it stocked with? Bloody Diet Coke! Which only proves that even boffins can be brainless doofusses.

OK, I might get shot down for blasphemy posting this on a beer thread, but my wife bought this (non-alcoholic beer) home from the veggie shop just now and it was…

Drinkable at least. It tasted like beer.

Brian

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]OK, I might get shot down for blasphemy posting this on a beer thread, but my wife bought this (non-alcoholic beer) home from the veggie shop just now and it was…

Brian[/quote]

I consider the term “non-alcoholic beer” an oxymoron.

Shame on you, Brian… :wink:

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]

Brian[/quote]

Wash your mouth out with tequila!

This is about beer, politics and JUSTICE. :laughing:

German fans frothing over World Cup without home brew

22 April 2004

MUNICH - It’s proving hard for German fans to swallow - the 2006 football World Cup looks likely to go ahead without German beer.

Now shocked politicians are seeking talks with tournament organizers after it emerged that a US brewer has the exclusive right to sell its beer in and around World Cup stadiums.

A World Cup in Germany without traditional German beer is almost as inconceivable for Germans as the country’s football team failing to qualify for the tournament - or losing to England on penalties.

But the Germans may have scored an own goal in allowing football’s world organizing body FIFA to secure an exclusive contract with the US brewer Anheuser-Busch, brewers of Budweiser, as one of the tournament’s official sponsors.

In Bavaria, where beer is regarded as part of the state’s cultural heritage, senior government officials have met to discuss the serious prospect of the World Cup kicking off in Munich’s new Allianz stadium without any of its traditional wheat beers on sale.

The local Green party has called on state premier Edmund Stoiber to make the lack of German World Cup beer a top-level issue.

“We will very shortly be approaching the World Cup organizing committee to see what possibilities there still are,” said a culture ministry spokeswoman.

Both Munich and Nuremberg, another Bavarian World Cup venue, are now planning “fan villages” outside stadium precincts so supporters can buy German beer instead of American Budweiser.

Gerhard Ohneis, head of the Augustiner brewery, told Munich’s Merkur newspaper: “It’s annoying if there is not going to be any Munich beer in the Munich stadium.”

A spokesman for Paulaner brewery said a possibility might be to enable Bavarian beer to be sold in “neutral glasses”.

Bavarian Social Democrat parliamentary group leader Franz Maget said: “The cities will make sure that World Cup visitors are supplied with respectable products.”

Nuremberg has an additional problem - it won’t be able to sell its traditional Nuremberg sausages at World Cup games.

“McDonald’s has the exclusive on sausage supplies,” Maget said.

And if that were not enough, German carmakers will also be left on the sidelines, with players, VIPS and officials being shuttled to and from games by South Korean sponsor Hyundai.

expatica.com/source/site_art … ry_id=6866

I picked up some of this at Breeze last night.
Their site says:[quote]James Squire Porter is a beer of finesse. Its relationship to stout is evident in a rich, deep colour that is less opaque and unveils window panes of ruby mahogany. Unlike stout, it has more delicate complexity. Roasted barley and wheat, subtle hoppings and long maturation create hints of bitter malt chocolate and pillowy head.

The finish is creamy light and certainly invites continued enjoyment.

Food Suggestions:
James Squire Porter is best enjoyed with roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, or a thick luscious Porterhouse steak. Alternatively, it can be served with chocolate mud cake, double cream and fresh raspberries.

[/quote]
They are right. This is truly wonderful stuff, and in the best bestseller blurb tradition, “I couldn’t put it down.” I drank 8 bottles of it – so much for self-restraint!
I drank it accompanied by those bitter chocolate confections they sell at We Care bakery in those fancy black boxes and I suggest you do the same – it is a marriage made in heaven, I kid you not.

All is not lost, however, as I also got, and managed not to touch – yet! – several bottles of IPA

a couple of Boag’s

and a half dozen Pilsner Urquell.
Yummy yum yum!

That James Squire Porter sounds great Sandman. I’ll have to head over to Breeze. But then again, I’d be content with Taiwan beer if I had some, “roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, or a thick luscious Porterhouse steak. . . chocolate mud cake, double cream and fresh raspberries.” :stuck_out_tongue:

Sanhdy, the sooner you switch to VB the better. I qwent out to 101 yesterday and bought all of Tigger’s suggestions, but l cN’T FRAG THNER VB FROM MY THERIAT

This gizmo could revolutionize outdoor imbibing.
Think of it – no more lugging an ice-filled beer cooler down a trail, no more fiddling with 7-11 bags, wads of newspaper and bags of ice to cool your brews!

Another technological “must have” wonder!
instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/course … onitor.htm

Just back from Atlanta where I was extremely impressed with the quality of the local beers there. I had several local ales, all good, but my favorite by far was the [color=brown]TERRAPIN RYE ALE[/color]:

Enjoyed this on tap at the Brauhaus in the Little Five Points district of Atlanta (great big thanks to Alien for suggesting the Little Five Points district… the place is a Bohemian neighborhood with a community-ownd grocery store that sells all organic and no meats and no commercial soda pops and where dreadlocks and long beards and hippy fashions are the norm and the aromas of incense and patchouli are everywhere and the sounds of reggae and live Grateful Dead music play joyfully from the speakers in every shop). I liked it (the area and the ale) so much that I went back several times (once with Mother Theresa, who was attending the same conference) and downed 8 pints of this absolutely wonderful ale.

It poured a copper-amber color with a nice off-white head that leaves a fine lace down the glass… The gently intense (and intoxicatingly wonderful) aroma was of fresh piney hops and pink grapefruit… The first flavor was crisp clean cascade piney hops - but not so strong as a true IPA… followed by a burst of citrus and apricot and rye malt … and then finishing with a beautifully subtle yet obvious hoppy-sweet lingering bitterness… Absolutely delicious!

This is brewed in Athens, Georgia… and it seemed relatively unknown even in Atlanta… I went to several large beer stores looking, in vain, for bottles of this rye ale to bring back to Taiwan…

If you ever see this… I recommend that you try it!

This may be old news, I don’t read about beer, just drink a lot of it, but there is a near-beer on the local market now: Asahi Point One (0.1).
Mrs. Tigerman will be pleased.

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]This may be old news, I don’t read about beer, just drink a lot of it, but there is a near-beer on the local market now: Asahi Point One (0.1).
Mrs. Tigerman will be pleased.[/quote]

Mrs. Tigerman is the sweetest woman on this planet and has never complained of my times of inebriated incapacity. She reminds me of the girl referred to in the Grateful Dead song, Sugar Magnolia:

[quote=“Grateful Dead”]
She’s got everything delightful
She’s got everything I need
Takes the wheel when I’m seeing double
Pays my ticket when I speed[/quote]

And Mrs. Tigerman’s father-in-law regularly presents me with 60% abv Gaoliang and other strong concoctions…

They seem to like me when I am drunk… :laughing:

Which reminds me… I brought back from Atlanta a bottle of [color=red]Rebel Yell[/color] Bourbon:

The next person who joins me at my house for beer will get a taste of this fine southern drink… it used to be Keith Richards’ favorite…

[quote]In the early 19th Century, the preference among southern whiskey aficionados was for smooth, mellow bourbons. Golden in color and rich in taste, [color=red]Rebel Yell Bourbon[/color] is made according to the original W L Weller “wheated” bourbon recipe and method in one of Kentucky’s oldest distilleries, satisfying the refined tastes of southern gentlemen for decades.

Strong but slow-spoken, [color=red]Rebel Yell Bourbon[/color] takes time to age and mellow, so take your time to relish the fine, deep flavor of one of America’s most authentic bourbon whiskeys.

[color=red]Rebel Yell Bourbon[/color] Characteristics

Nose: Honey, butter, raisins

Mouth: A big, round body with a palette that directly follows the nose

Beer lovers-

I’m now serving these beers and ciders. Today I have the Lagunitas India Pale Ale and Lagunitas Pils cold for the American microbrews. If you’d like to try something else, please call me at 02-2377-1772 and I will pop your selection in the fridge. The Belgians and Murphy’s are always available.

If you miss highly-hopped, bitter, West-coast style IPA, you will love the Lagunitas India Pale Ale!

Bobwundaye is located at 26 Chongde St, Lane 38, Taipei (台北市崇德街38巷26號) just around the corner from the Liuzhangli MRT station.

American Microbrewery
[list]
LAGUNITAS India Pale Ale
LAGUNITAS PALE ALE
LAGUNITAS

Bobwundaye serves Knob Creek Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey and Bushmills Single Malt Irish Whiskey. I also have some of that stuff from the other island. :wink: