Beer Alert & Directory IV

Particulars of the Badger Ale on offer in Costco Zhonghe…

4 x Tangle Foot
4 x Champion Golden Ale
4 x Golden Glory
4 x First Gold

All bottles are 500ml and the Golden Glory is particularly fine (although they’re all very good). Being proper English ales they are full-bodied and full-flavoured - if you’re an exclusive drinker of lager in the Heineken/Stella/other Gnat’s Piss vein, you’ll probably find these ales a little too rich. Rest assured, however, that real men drink ale.

Also on sale at Costco are twelve packs of Magners Irish Cider (for around NT$1,600). One for the summertime, the Paddies have actually earned the grudging respect of this Westcountry* boy with this one. The TV ads for the brew tell you to add ice, and although it brings back bad memories of drinking with the local boys in Tainan, it’s actually just the job on a sweltering Oriental summer’s eve. It ain’t cheap, but it’s worth it.

*The Cradle of Cider Civilisation™

The Costco in Neihu also has the Badger Ale offer.

I’ve really been enjoying these English ales.

Didn’t see the cider at the Neihu Costco, but I might have just passed it by.

I think the sixteen-pack of Badger Ale is well worth picking up.

Belgian Beer festival TONIGHT (NOW)

17:00~17:30
Live BandHot Shock熱情登場
/ Live BandHot Shock
17:30~17:50
免費暢飲開瓶儀式‧啤酒搭餐全新推薦
/ Beer Fastival VS. Dishes
17:50~20:00
Live Band演奏‧歡度啤酒仲夏夜
/ Free Folw Beers & Wines

台北市松江路 71號  No. 71, SungChiang Rd. Taipei
全國門市同步免費暢飲

Thanks for the heads-up on this, TM.

I couldn’t make it, but I saw some of the coverage on the local news. A bit strange that the Drinks employees were dressed in Hawaiian shirts as they served the Belgian beer, but I guess they were trying to get a “summer is here, time for beer” concept across.

I think most of the Drinks stores (“old wooden barrel,” or something like that in Chinese) will be selling these Belgian beers throughout the summer.

Not really a big fan of the fruit beers and the lambics, but I’ll probably still stop in and pick some up. I’d like to make sure that these beer promotions continue in future summers.

Man, it’s been a long time since I bought that one case of 24 Labatt’s Blue from Jason’s in the 101 basement. I’ve been back and check in from time to time, but nada, nothing, zilch, no more. Same story at the Breeze Super, but I don’t know if they ever had any Canadian offerings.
Any other ideas where a guy might find some? ? ?

Maybe the Drinks outlet can order me in some. Anyone want to go splits on a pallet of Kokanee?

I tried this Taiwanese “white beer” last weekend. Blue-white label. No English name. Just says “white beer” 5% Alc.
Tasted pretty heavy and aftertaste was rather bitter. Not the same quality of Erdinger or real “white beer” like Hoegaarden. Served too warm also.

[quote=“ceevee369”]I tried this Taiwanese “white beer” last weekend. Blue-white label. No English name. Just says “white beer” 5% Alc.
Tasted pretty heavy and aftertaste was rather bitter. Not the same quality of Erdinger or real “white beer” like Hoegaarden. Served too warm also.[/quote]
I had some of that on draught at some event down at Bitan a few months ago. Didn’t really seem heavy or bitter to me, but I had it chilled, so maybe that’s why. I quite liked it, as a matter of fact.

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“ceevee369”]I tried this Taiwanese “white beer” last weekend. Blue-white label. No English name. Just says “white beer” 5% Alc.
Tasted pretty heavy and aftertaste was rather bitter. Not the same quality of Erdinger or real “white beer” like Hoegaarden. Served too warm also.[/quote]
I had some of that on draught at some event down at Bitan a few months ago. Didn’t really seem heavy or bitter to me, but I had it chilled, so maybe that’s why. I quite liked it, as a matter of fact.[/quote]

Draught, and on an event. Sounds like they knew how to bring it.
i had mine with a Cheeseburger in the Miramar garden hotel last Saturday.
Not chilled enough indeed, and the way they were serving it… aaaaargh… 70% foam. Certainly not chilled enough or a glass full of sticking detergent. Will try it again at another place. Kind of fun discovering these special Taiwan beers .

Went by 7-11 this evening, and they had a special on beer, buy 3 get 21% off, so I picked up one I hadn’t seen before. It’s made by Sapporo and is called Yebisu. It’s not half bad. If you’ve never tried it, now’s the time to pick it up a bit cheaper.

I’m still missing Sierra Nevada Brewery, though.

Which reminds me that I had an Asahi “Munich type” beer the other night from a non-7-11 convenience store. A dark beer. Quite pleasant, considering it was made a damn long way from Munich.

Was at the City’Super at the Far Eastern (The Mall) on Dunhua down close to Carnegie’s last night and I spotted De Koninck in the big, corked bottles. They have three of De Koninck’s offerings:

De Koninck blond 6% alc. vol.

Triple De Koninck 8% alc. vol.

Winterkoninck 6,5% alc.vol.

Best to scarf these up soon, as I believe BroonAle has a fondness for this brewery, unless I am mistaken… He’s likely to purchase the entire lot of 'em…

Not anymore, right? :wink:

[quote=“Tigerman”]Was at the City’Super at the Far Eastern (The Mall) on Dunhua down close to Carnegie’s last night and I spotted De Koninck in the big, corked bottles. They have three of De Koninck’s offerings:

De Koninck blond 6% alc. vol.

Triple De Koninck 8% alc. vol.

Winterkoninck 6,5% alc.vol.

Best to scarf these up soon, as I believe BroonAle has a fondness for this brewery, unless I am mistaken… He’s likely to purchase the entire lot of 'em…[/quote]

Thanks for the update, Tigerman.

These De Konincks were on sale at the Drinks stores earlier in the summer, but are now no longer available there. Nice to see that they can still be found somewhere in the city. I liked the blond, in particular.

Nice, too, to see that City Super is offering some better beers. I always thought that they had the weakest beer selecition, in comparison to the Breeze Center and Jason’s 101.

Is that in the basement of the Mall?

Yes.

Thanks, mate – I’ll check it out!

We will have to keep it all hush hush. Hope dragonbabe doesn’t read this thread.

Naw, she and I enjoyed a bottle of it together last night. :smiley: And then she made me do situps, dumbells and the exercise bike. :blush:

And they also have a second branch in the new Sogo near Fuxing MRT. Same assortment, bigger stock as the one in the Mall is slowly bleeding to death.

“A keuninkske” is how the Antwerp people call this beer. :slight_smile:

Wow!

One of my favorite breweries, Dogfish Head, has introduced [color=red]Chateau Jiahu[/color] this summer and I can’t wait to try it.

[quote=“Dogfish head”][url=http://www.dogfish.com/brewings/Occasional_Rarities/Chateau_Jiahu/25/index.htm]Let’s travel back in time again (Midas Touch was our first foray), this time 9000 years! Preserved pottery jars found in the Neolithic villiage of Jiahu, in Henan province, Northern China, has revealed that a mixed fermented beverage of rice, honey and fruit was being produced that long ago - right around the same time that barley beer and grape wine were beginning to be made in the Middle East!

Fast forward to 2005… Molecular Archeologist Dr. Patrick McGovern of the University of PA calls on Dogfish Head to re-create their second ancient beverage and Chateau Jiahu is born.

In keeping with historic evidence, Dogfish brewers used pre-gelatinized rice flakes, Wildflower honey, Muscat grapes, barley malt, hawthorn fruit, and Chrysanthemum flowers. The rice and barley malt were added together to make the mash for starch conversion and degredation. The resulting sweet wort was then run into the kettle. The honey, grapes, Hawthorn fruit, and Chrysanthemum flowers were then added. The entire mixture was boiled for 45 minutes, then cooled. The resulting sweet liquid was pitched with a fresh culture of Sake yeast and allowed to ferment a month before the transfer into a chilled secondary tank.

8% abv[/url][/quote]

Gotta love that label. Its bound to send the folks who cry about Asian Fetish into a royal tizzy! :laughing: