Beets, other veges and fruit for juicing at a good cost

I want to try a juice fast and notice many of the recipes call for beets. I haven’t noticed beets here.

There’s a real good reason for that.

Otherwise, go to the day market and go around near closing time and they’ll sell banged up and ugly F&V for cheaper.

2 Likes

Our traditional market in Xindian has several vendors selling beets. The organic Cottonfields has them occassionally but expensive. They also carry ultraexpensive beet juice. Tastes awful.

Traditional markets mostly close at noon, though some stands remain all day.

2 Likes

You can grow beets here in winter. I got a lot of nice ones a couple of years back. People do occasionally sell them (about this time of year) and seeds are readily available. Try the organic markets or farmer’s markets.

You could probably grow them in a window-box if you had to, but it’s too late to start them now. It’ll be hot in a couple of months and they’ll bolt.

I can’t fathom why anybody would want to make juice with beets, but whatever floats your boat.

1 Like

Oops, I kind of missed this the first time through:

[quote=“Aikaili, post:1, topic:158396, full:true”]
I want to try a juice fast…[/quote]

I take back what I said, you can’t get cheap stuff at the day market, forget about it.
Please don’t tell anyone I even replied to you.

1 Like

[quote=“Rocket, post:5, topic:158396, full:true”]
Oops, I kind of missed this the first time through:

:eek:

I missed that too.

From someone who ended up in the hospital due to gastrointestinal problems, please do not engage in any sudden, severe changes in your diet before consulting with a doctor. In your case, a proper nutritionist.

Otherwise, please make sure your NHI is current, you have extra disposable underwear and clean jammies for, eh, emergencies.

1 Like

Yeah, there’s more than one kind of “juice”…

Yeah, I must say a ‘juice fast’ doesn’t sound like a great idea unless it’s limited to a day or two. Just curious OP: any particular reason for it?

All this fad diets can be done wrong and someone ends up on a liquid diet… from a drip connected to the vein, and afterwards not being able to eat something chewable for a week.*

*from personal experience.

I’m sorry to hear that Icon was in the hospital to a diet change. May we ask what kind of diet change? I’ve been food poisoned in China and that certainly wasn’t my choice.

I’ve already made a change to my diet by doing “food prepping”. I’m too busy during the week, so I’ll cook a week’s worth of different things, put in glass containers and into the fridge and freezer. This has helped me not make bad dining choices late after work. I want to see if there are ways to take in more nutrients from veggies like spinach, kale, etc.

I’m in good health but need to reduce some weight a bit, no worries. And for a few days at a time. “Fast” is probably not the right word because it sounds like I’ll only drink water. Perhaps “green juice meal replacements” would be better. I think juicing is an easy way to consume more nutrients from veggies like kale. It is not easy to eat a bowl of kale everyday!

1 Like

TBH a couple of days ingesting nothing but sugar and water (ie., fruit juice) isn’t going to help much with fat loss; there are less radical ways to achieve that. But well done on the food prep. I’ve been doing that myself lately and it really does make mealtimes 500% easier. Not to mention a lot cheaper.

I wouldn’t like to be in the next cubicle after you’ve just eaten a bowl of kale :slight_smile:

Have you tried kale chips? A little olive oil, salt and roasted in the oven for a few minutes. Even my granddaughter will eat them. There’s a pricey salad place called Nice Green which has good quality Italian-style kale.

Ah, OK. That does look quite nice.

I didn’t realise anyone was even selling (European) kale here. There’s a local perennial brassica - the name escapes me at the moment - that tastes basically the same and is probably cheaper.

Jeez, they got more freakish indigenous varieties of leafy greens here than pigs got stink, I can’t imagine why you’d bother with exotical imports. Especially now that you can get Romaine pretty much everywhere.

Do you (@Aikaili, that is, @finley can go pound sand) have a biantang hot box at your work?
There are a bazillion ways to use that to make a crapload of slightly cooked (no carb) meat & vegemables lunches that take about 90 seconds to prepare.

(As we said some other place, though, don’t make the mistake of trying to make a spinach salad with the local stuff, it’s most deffo NOT baby spinach, and it does need to be cooked for a minute or so)

Nice Green grows salad varieties in Taiwan. It’s fancy hydroponically grown stuff. They have quite a few shops/restaurants including on in SOGO B2 Zhongxiao Fuxing (where Citysuper is). After tasting their kale/apple/guava juice, I decided to give juicing a try myself.

Most 便當are greasy and have the cheapest vegetables and meat they can find. Once in a awhile, there’s a good one. Even when you find a good place, the quality can vary from day-to-day. The seem to cook everything ahead of time and then let it sit without any concern about keeping the hot food hot, and cold food cold.

My problem was aggravated by swithing to a vegetarian fiet. the doctor especifially insisted that all veggies must be throughly chewed so that all nutrients can be enjoyed, but that you still need proteins. Howeverm, in my case, the leaves and tofu were creating too much gas that had no place to expand inside and caused a lot of pain and other problems. Funny enough, adding animal protein helped, if you can believe that. So, as with everything in live, moderation is key.

Probelm with juices as Finley said, is that you take the best part, fiber, and then you need more for filling up… I know the green juices can be pretty nice, and many people have them as early morning meals and stuff them with probiotics, aminoacids and other stuff that surely wouldn’t go down teh throat in any other way. So I hear you. Just don’t overdo it. Too much fiber is bad. Too little is also bad. Not enough green veggies and you end up in pain. Too many veggies and yes, there will be pain.

1 Like

Ssshh … don’t tell the vegetarians!

Anyway, I agree. If you want to eat veg, eat veg. No need to pound them to a pulp. If you can’t physically cram them down then you’re probably eating too many veg.

As for raccoons, I find punji sticks keeps the little bastards off my plants.

Sorry, I didn’t mean buying those horrific slop boxes on the street, I meant the steam cabinet in your office kitchen where you put your own (home filled) stainless steel box

in the morning and it’s ready for lunch time.

I’ve never heard anything good long term for these juice fasts or detoxes.

I bought a second-hand juicer and learned that it wasn’t the best because it was a centrifugal type. It waste a bunch of the veges and I was wondering how much nutrition that I was getting. So, I’ve upgraded to the Hurom juicer and talk about a difference. Very little waste and I am down a couple of kilograms over the past two weeks. My skin condition has improved as well. Now, I’m carefully adding different foods back to my diet to try and figure out which one seemed to be causing inflammation.