Berlin Culture Clash : Muslims versus Gays

So I’m not allowed to answer the question that you posed? If that’s the official administrative policy now, just let me know. :slight_smile:

If being fundamental means believing everything in the bible, new and old testaments alike, then they are not being good fundamentalists…

Fundamental Christians should also not eat pork and shell fish, also shouldn’t be a banker because charging interest is a sin.

England chemically neutered Alan Turing, the Prophet of computer science, and caused him to commit suicide.

Now I have no idea what you’re talking about at all.

Those Islamic governments base their law on Sharia Law, so it is the same thing.

It doesn’t matter what Christian scripture says or doesn’t say about gays. They’re not the ones becoming the majority in Europe. It’s fairly bold to openly call for a teacher to be fired because he’s gay. It shows they know that nothing will happen to them. If non-Muslims did that, I’m sure they’d suffer some kind of penalty in most of Europe.

That was truly a tragedy, and the fact that something like that would never happen today in the West shows just how much progress has been made.

You’d have to clarify that before we could say “it’s the same thing”. Anyway, as I’ve pointed out, the situation in Islamic law is unclear.

If we’re going to make blanket statements that aspects of Islamic law have some definite relevance to the propensity of Muslims to desire to stone homosexuals, as you specifically did, then aspects of Christian scripture are definitely relevant.

Aside from atheists, I think Christians are the majority in Europe, why would they need to be come the majority when they already are.

There are plenty of Christians pinheads in Taiwan who openly protesting against Homosexuality, even physically attacking people who aren’t on their side. That doesn’t mean they do it because they know nothing would happen to them. They just do it because they are being selective fundamentalists.

That’s exactly the same thing these homophobic Muslims are doing. There are plenty of wiggle room within their religion to be more open towards LGBT people, and many Muslim countries have taken that path before, but some Muslims today just selectively chose to not budge on this issue while openly violate many other restrictions they deem unimportant.

I certainly wouldn’t condone this type of behavior–it’s both illegal and despicable–but it can’t compare with being stoned to death or thrown off a building. I think we can all agree that Taiwan, while it still has a ways to go, is much more accepting of gays than any Muslim country.

[quote=“nonredneck, post:1, topic:159183, full:true”]
What will the liberals do?[/quote]
Not sure what you mean. Those Muslims who are protesting gay teachers are right-wingers. They’re on your side, not ours.

I didn’t state this well. If I was replying to NR, I don’t see why my comments are contingent on your claims in any way, was my point.

Anyway, I’m not arguing that things are in general better for gay people in Muslim countries, as to my knowledge that is far from the case. I was arguing the narrower point, which is important in its own right I think.

Most human rights issues are far worse in Muslim countries. However, the topic is about anti-gay protest by a Muslim minority in Germany, and how the German government/public would handle it. Germany isn’t the most gay friendly country in Europe, but I think it’s much more accepting of gays than Taiwan.

While German law is also a bit murky when it comes to the separation of church and state, it’s unlikely such protest would result in the teacher getting punished for absolutely no reason. It is also unlikely that the German public would assume these relatively few protesters speak for all Muslims in Germany, much less the entire Muslim world.

Something tells me that for a homosexual in a Ugandan prison, the death penalty and life in prison are pretty much the same thing.

You do realize the death of Turing was 63 years ago, and the English government didn’t “pardon” his conviction until 2013, barely 4 years ago? They have also just singled out Turing for the pardon and left thousands of others punished for so called “gross indecency” out in the cold?

The progress towards LGBT rights in the West in such a short amount of time shows that there’s nothing inherently less prejudices in Western religion/thinking towards the LGBT community, women or minorities in general.

My personal take is that freedom of speech, minorities fighting for their rights despite of personal danger, time, and more people understanding each others’ situation and position, makes it possible for the West and most democracies to eventually warm up to these minorities.

If that’s the case, maybe all these Muslim parents need is time. After all, it’s guaranteed by nature that some of their kids will be gay, even without ever having contact with gay adults. By then there’s nothing else for some of these parents to do except to turn their backs on their kids or turn their backs on common sense.

[quote=“Chris, post:30, topic:159183, full:true”]

It’s the cognitive dissonance of liberals is “what I mean”. On the (non-classical) liberal train of thought (especially the SJW variation), Islam is good and cannot do any wrong. But real Islam is in conflict with liberal values. This type of incident is bound to happen more frequently and when it does, liberals go into denial or make excuses.

So what to do, admit that Islam has problems or deny the problems and allow Islamic law to creep in and take over?

One would hope so, but I’m not so optimistic. I think the main difference is that while Christianity has been tempered by movements like the Enlightenment and the Reformation, Islam is basically still stuck in the Middle Ages. Other than suppression by secular dictators like Saddam Hussein and Muammar Gaddafi, what moderating influences have there been on the religion?

The most common answers usually are:

a) It’s not real Islam
b) People from other religions (or countries or races, depending on the topic) do it as well
c) It’s because locals are not allowing immigrants to integrate properly

Or a mix of all.

I don’t know of any moderating influences in modern Muslim religious community, but that’s probably just because I’m unfamiliar on the subject. The most I can say is “I have some friends who are Muslim back in the States.” A bunch of us hang out, watched the world cup and drank ourselves blind. That’s how much I know…

However, in the past Muslim culture were much more opened. The emphasis on restoring sharia law as the basis of judicial code seems to have only caught on since the 1970s. It probably caught on as a reaction to the raise of Israel and heightened anti-West sentiment. It was then used by various political/military factions to strengthen their cause.

If my impression is correct, then there’s a ton of moderating examples Muslims could barrow from the past. The key is then to find a way to ease the anti-West sentiment.

Someone has to stop hating first.