Best Airline for moving back to USA?

I’ll be bringing a lot of stuff with me back from Taiwan, since I’ve been here almost a decade. A bike, books, clothes, statues, stuff like that. Some I might ship, but from what I’ve heard, it can take a few months to arrive.

So, thinking of taking bike and essential books on plane with me. Wondering if anyone had any ideas on which airlines are best for this.

Thanks!

Do you have status on any airline? If so, that might increase your baggage allowance–super helpful in times like this.

Guy

I would consider EVA. They are typically very accommodating. Been flying with them for over 5 years.

Agree with EVA.

They allow two checked bags and do not charge you extra for your bike box/bag despite it most likely being over size baggage.

HOWEVER, if you have a connecting flight after arriving in the US, the connecting flight will most likely charge you for the extra bag and slap on the over sized baggage fee on it.

I’ve had friends travel from LAX to Ottowa and LAX to Seattle. Both guys got slapped with baggage fees for their bike boxes for their connecting flights.

Generally, most airlines have an established agreement when it comes to honoring the baggage rules of the international flight leg, as long as the secondary flight departs within 12 or 24 hours (can’t remember which) of the arriving flight. This works both directions, and I’ve yet to find a combo of airlines that don’t participate in this agreement.

I guess not all participate though, and maybe your friends were unfortunate to either get such a combo, or just an uncooperative agent who wasn’t aware of the rules. Best to call the airlines beforehand to confirm.

EVA has always been very accommodating while transporting skis, snowboards, oversized bags etc.

I think if the connecting flight is another airline, they may not honor the baggage rules. Not sure if my friend’s connecting flights were with the same airline, but I assume it wasn’t. We all know how anal US domestic airlines are about baggage.

Sorry, that’s what I meant. Two separate airlines with two separate bookings/tickets. Having flown a few times between rural US airports and Taipei with a bike, I’ve done an annoying amount of calling and checking with airlines on their luggage policies, especially regarding reciprocity.

Totally agree that US domestics can be frustrating with their policies, and they seem to get worse every year.

I’ve always had great experiences with Japan Air while heading back to the states.